• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 diesel to gas conversion

m1008-jb

The truck is in the shop now and my friends are comming over this weekend to start on the project. I will let you know how it turns out. The next step will be to place a dump bed on the truck. Has anyone done that project before?

m1008-jb

The motor is in and went in suprisingly easy only had to cut the hangers for the exhaust to allow them to bolt on and ran into one problem. The radiator hose is larger on the diesel than the gas motor does anyone know a good fix for this problem? aua Is there a reduction hose or an adaptor? Once we ran into this issue we left the project and have not started on it again. Any help guys??

stampy

PVC and a reducer between hoses? so If you have a 1" to a 1 and 1/2 " gt a 1 to 1and 1/2 rubber reducer from Lowes or Home Depot use metal pipe or PVC to make the connection with pipe clamps. Or you could just get the correct sized radiator neck put on your current radiator at any radiator shop.

m1008-jb

The metal connectors with clamps is what i had in mind until i see how the truck does. Then the radiator neck swap would be a great long term solution. I appreciate the advice!

pigfoot63

You can use the lager hose by triming the top portion off the the gasser hose and using it for a sleeve or you can purchase a sleeve at most radiator shops. On the top hose I used a muffler adapter to mkate two hoses .

m1008-jb

Hey guys I have ran into another problemaua We have the motor in and it runs great and when we went for the test drive it has a horrible vibration. The only thing that I can think of is we used the flywheel and the torque converter from the 6.2 on the 350. We thought it would be easier but now wonder if it is a balance issue with the flywheel. Has anyone ran into this or have any ideas?????

dannyf700

Budy of mine did this he burnt the tranny up in less then a week. torque converter and govener in tranny need to be chaged to gas engine. tranny shop told him the torque converter and the govener for the diesel are made fore lower rpm's than the gas ones.

rnd-motorsports

Yes you will need to change the flywheel! And as stated you should change the converter and gov springs but as stated will not burn the trany up unless trany is bad to start with My brother has one with a deisel trany and as stated the shift points are way off but has run for about 2 years now without any failling but YES a good idea to change them tourqe converter is easy as is the gov. there is a spring clip on the gov cover pop it off remove cover (may be snug) and pull out gov. then replace with a gov out of a gas turbo 400 real easy Good luck sorry about the extra work. I drove one with a stock 454 in it and was rather impressed![thumbzup]

m1008-jb

Thank you for the information! I ordered a torque converter and flywheel, the donor was in question anyway. I asked about a governer to change out but the o'riley's parts store had no clue what I was talking about and neither did I. Do you have any additional information that I could provide for them? I would like to get it right this time but I still have lots to learn.

rnd-motorsports

If you cant find a gov at your local parts outlet you can get a used one from a salvage yard or order a new one online one place would be TSR-Racing Products at tsr-racing.com or 800-349-5889 a new gov assembly part number #400-34410 fits 1964 and up turbo 400 and calibraded for gas is 29.95 + shipping . Do not start adjusting the modulater to change the shift points as alot do the modulater only has a narrow adjustment the gov is the real way to change the shift points bye way of changeing the springs in it and the throw weights check out this link has pick of location and what it looks like hope this helps Technical - Governor calibration for automatics - 9/9/04

rnd-motorsports

Oh bye the way I told you that the gov was behind a cover with a spring clip that is on the turbo 350 sorry for that the turbo 400 is behind the cover with four bolts holding it MY BAD!!!

trukhead

Ether bad!!!

Ether bad, (starting Fluid) !!!! I use wd-40 and It doesn't knock the crap out of the engine when starting. I would only use ether while the engine is turning in very short bursts and keep iut running with bursts of wd-40.

2cents

m1008-jb

I can't get a break! The torque converter came in and they sent me one for a FORD!!! I am never going to get it on the road at this rate!

rnd-motorsports

Somebody must have been sleeping to send you a ford part . WOW maybe somebody else has the other problem and wondering why they got a chevy converter for a ford! maybe the next one will be correct!!

m1008-jb

Finally installed the correct parts and hopefully will get her started and go for a test drive tommorow. It will be like christmas.

m1008-jb

Well she is finally out of the shop and is on the road!:driver: I took her out on the highway and just like everyone said 55 is fast enough with the gearing. I am going to drive it for a few days and then put it to work hauling hay and wood to see how it preforms. i will let you know how it turns out. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO THIS TREAD TO HELP ME!!

86m1028

Well she is finally out of the shop and is on the road!:driver: I took her out on the highway and just like everyone said 55 is fast enough with the gearing. I am going to drive it for a few days and then put it to work hauling hay and wood to see how it preforms. i will let you know how it turns out. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO THIS TREAD TO HELP ME!!
Congrats on getting it done.

I am in the process of doing a diesel to gas swap on an m1028 but will also be swapping in a 4l80 (over drive tranny).

How do you like the power ?
Any other issues that you need to fix ? OR would do differently ?

m1008-jb

Swapping out the transmission is a great idea and one should have done and will probabley do in the future! Be sure to take the radiator to the shop while it is out and have the neck(s) changed out for a long term fix. I am sure the metal discharge hose adaptors would work fine but I will feel better with neck replacement. Other than the flywheel and torque converter issue that I brought on myself it is an easy swap. I should have labeled the wires to the guages better that would have saved me some time. The muffler hangers had to be cut but everything bolted up fine after that. I am having trouble with the headlights working. I am not sure if is the black out stuff or just wiring. I have not had much time to check into it yet. The power is great! Almost too much power in fact, I keep breaking loose and spinning out. I have not pulled too much with it yet only 11 bales of hay on a 20' bumbper trailer and two on the truck. It pulled them without any problem at all but that is not much of a load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks