• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 problems. I did some research here on SS about ball joints and kingpins. I know

dstang97

Its weird how this post showed up. I went look at this guys m1008 today and noticed It had a 10 bolt. I did not have the heart to tell him about it. He paid 5k for it.

Last edited:

aspann

No, nothing sticking out from the rear rim. Just the 8 lug nuts. What would it have been if something was there?

dstang97

A full floater. You have 3/4 axles in there. The good thing is you will probably get more top speed and less rpm.

Cucvnut

Its weird how this post showed up. I went look at this guys m1008 today and noticed It had a 10 bolt. I did not have the heart to tell him about it. He paid 5k for it.
the other day i went to get some parts off a M1008 he was just keeping the axles and it was also a 10 bolt in the front. i told him and i think i ruined his night. :(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aspann, do you have a cell phone with a camera? Can you send pics on that via text message? It sure sounds like they switched the rear axle as well. As long as they are a matched set as far as gear ratio goes, you shouldn't have a problem under normal circumstances. I wouldn't fix that front without confirming that they have the same ratio. 3/4 ton GM stuff will most certainly be 3.73 or 4.10 gears. If you don't plan a huge tire swap or beating it to death, these axles may work out well for you. Wonder if there are any SS CUCV owners near you?

jworth94

Your load carrying ability will be decreased with a semi-floating rear end. For most owners, it wouldn't be a big deal. As someone already pointed out, the benefit may be higher speed at a lower rpm. If you're looking for larger tires, adding a lift kit and carrying heavy loads, it may be a concern. You may be happier with what you got, in the end. Afterall, you didn't know what a full floating rear axle was before this post, so we can assume you probably don't have a use for one. Make good with what you got!

Jon

aspann

Cucvfreek--I sent you some pics to post. Hope you get them. In the morning sun it looks red but is coppertone. I plan to get back looking military, except the gears. Thanks

jworth--I live so far back in the boonis that I can't get a signal for cell phone. Lighting has to change gears three times before it strikes around here. Thanks

dstang97-- Yeah, it might be for the best, as I wasn't planning on useing it for hauling. Got two mutts I will haul around. Thanks

So, I guess I'll be getting the ball joints replaced, brakes checked and painted. Looks like the previous owner put a lot into it.(took some out also:-() The paint job looks fairly new. Thanks to all for your time and effort. I'm on SS every day, several times learning.

aspann

Cucvfreek, I pulled up your pictures, you got some good looking trucks. I did notice that the front hub on your 1008 sticks out alot more than the one on my truck. You doing the work yourself?

Andy

aspann

Recovry4x4--It really drives good and sounds good even at 55mph. There are some mv owners around, but only two with m1008's. One I contacted is undergoing cemo, and he doesn't have much info. He said when he feels better, we will get together and take a look at them. There is another one near me that I looked at and it is still original. It has the kinkpins, the long hub sticking out about 3 times more than the one on mine. Maybe Cucfreek will get time today to post the pictures that I sent him. Again, thanks.
Andy

aspann

I just went back to my first message and reread it, I said the 1008 near me had hubs that didn't stick out as much as mine. I got it bassackards. It had the long hubs and mine the short one. Sorry about that. I made things more confusing.

aspann

I took a look at the TM about the diff. on the m1008 and m1009 and it shows both with 10 bolt covers. Does that help? TM wrong?

Cucvnut

if you want the correct axle it would not be hard to get a smashed and dead M1008 from GL and put the correct axle in it and then sell the rest of the truck ot use some parts to make yours better.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All is not completely lost. You have a Dana 44 front. This would have come from a 1st run 77 truck or earlier. It has the external hubs on it. Mid 70's 3/4 ton most likely had 4.10 gears. Also has flat top knuckles which are sought after. It's worth fixing for sure.

Cucvnut

do you plan on lifting the truck ? if do the knuckle is great for cross over and if you dont ever plan to get in to hard core wheeling that axle will last you a long time.

aspann

No, I'm not planning on lifting it, just take my dogs for rides, go to town etc., nothing fast or heavy. You have put my mind at ease, knowing I didn't buy a piece of junk.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a tag on one of the front diff bolts. Scrape that nice and clean and it should reveal the gear ratio of the front axle.

aspann

When I go to the parts store for ball joints, what do I ask for? 77 truck or earlier, or take the old ones in and let them take a look at them or maybe the mech. I get to take them might know? Thanks in advance. Andy

aspann

Recovry 4x4, I found the numbers on the chunk. 44-5cf and C35585. The mech. at the shop said it's a 3/4 ton front end. Said it would take a k20 ball joints. Parts numbers--top K-8194T and bottom, K-8195T. That sound about right? I'm to take it in tomorrow and let them replace the joints and check out the bearing and rotors etc. Thanks for all the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks