• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 ??

jr4jc

I want a big truck, learned some about m1008.
and I want a diesel.
Thought i had made my mind up to get a m1008 and an ex-marine told me he had worked on them and didn't like them.
Said they are strong motor, though under powered, strong axles and diffs... but that the electrical systems are not good.
what is ya'lls opinions,
if there is an electrical problem how are you getting around it???

Shop Rat Fab

Keep in mind the trucks are 25 years old regardless of mileage on them you will have to do some work on them here and there. All the TM (Tech Manuals) are on line and all the support you need can be found right here on this web site. What a blast to drive and easy to work on as long as you have metric tools.

ABN173

I want a big truck, learned some about m1008.
and I want a diesel.
Thought i had made my mind up to get a m1008 and an ex-marine told me he had worked on them and didn't like them.
Said they are strong motor, though under powered, strong axles and diffs... but that the electrical systems are not good.
what is ya'lls opinions,
if there is an electrical problem how are you getting around it???
jrajc,

You have to put this in a different perspective. These trucks were bought almost as COS (Commercial off the Shelf) in an effort to save save the military money, which they did very well. Yes the 6.2L is strong, economic engine. Yes a bit underpowered but it did what it was supposed to do, besides its not like they had Hemi's back then you know? Personally I would not let the electrical system scare you off, there is enough "how to fix" threads on this site to help you tackle anything that comes up. Here is one such example:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/32943-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

I have had no issues with my M1008 that I drive daily for the last 18 months.

-Dale

ralbelt

Mine has not had any electrical issues yet, but I anticipate some sooner or later. I have had the heads off , trans out, replaced flexplate and starter. Like they say its 25 years old.

jr4jc

Thanks for the info.
i have heard that the m1008 only comes with an automatic transmission, but i thought i saw some manual's here and there??
i also have read that the m1008 will only have a top speed of 55 but then i have heard some say 65.
a little help here, please.
also i hear under powered.
but it has torque. so does it pull well but slowly??
i can take my time especially if i am towing a load.
Thanks !!

ABN173

M1008's were gearded lower for towing, while M1009's were geared for higher speeds. I travel at 60-65 in my M1008 daily without issues, but that is about the limit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I think the electrical system is ingenious. I can jump start 12V stuff, 24V stuff. can run either or for accessories. Only a few things you need worry about as far as the electrics. It's a good sturdy but simple truck.

transman

Same speed uphill or down loaded or empty ! Burns nearly anything I dump in the tank !Takes any punishment I can throw at it . No AC no radio . luv my truck !nuf said.:beer:

that1028guy

Personally, I think the electrical system is ingenious. I can jump start 12V stuff, 24V stuff.

You can?! I may need an explanation on that one..... And yes they may be underpowered by todays standards, but remember, they are geared to pull, not to win the Indy 500. I used my M1008 the first weekend i had it to literaly pull a house down. They are stout, well put together trucks.

topgun217

I have an 86' m1009 and I luv it! Drive it more than my 03' pick up and better mpg. I had a small starting issue at first, but I was able to do the work required my self thanks to ALL THE FINE FOLKS on this site, and the only thing I knew about electrical was, "up is on & down is off" :beer:

HardCorps79

... an ex-marine told me he had worked on them ...
There are no "ex" Marines.
:twisted:

Buy one. Then you'll understand how Marines feel about the Corps. Because the way you will feel about this truck will be pretty **** close. And even if you eventually stop driving it around, you'll never quite be the same again. It's sort of an infectious mental disorder, this OD obsession...

K9Vic

I have saved several thousands of dollars with all the great tech support found here on this board. My first M1010 had starting and running issues and found that the IP pump was not aligned, so it ran poor. The diesel shop I went to said it had bad injectors, they did not even know to look at the IP pump alignment, never again will I go to that place. Then the starting issue was that the glow plugs were not getting a full 12v on a converted 12v truck (was done incorrectly not bypassing the resitor block). So then when I got my other CUCV trucks a few months later, I had all this new knowleadge and was able to fix many other issues that would have cost me allot at a shop.

They are easy to work on and anything you need to know about them can be found here. If you can not find it in a search, it probably was never mentioned here over the years. Just about any question one may have has been discussed at some point in time here.

The best part about owning these trucks is the attention they get. People will notice you on the roads and military and former military personal will always give you the thumbs up. They are just fun to drive and get respect on the road. I think my M1010 gets the most attention as it is something you just do not see, but mine is all black like a SWAT van as that is what it was used for by the police before I got it (see avitar).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks