• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 and 5.9 mpgs

MyAngry85

Does anyone have any idea around what kind of mileage I could expect by dropping a 5.9 cummins in my M1009? I'm torn between rebuilding a 6.2, a 6.5, or getting the 6bt. Out of all the post on the similar topic, nobody mentions mpgs, and that's more or less the deciding factor here.... oh, and power! Thanks ahead for any input.

MyAngry85

Well if i go with the 5.9 I would be reinforcing the frame i already have one ton axles ready to go on, plus i like a good challenge. But what makes you say it'll destroy the truck? And I haven't heard great things on the 4bt namely the vibrations factor is nuts.

ODdave

frame and axles. but it looks like you have ideas for them. plus you will have to lift it some. the length of the 5.9/trans & t-case will pose a chalenge. I dont know where the bad things about the 4b you heard came from but they are an awsome lil engine. i would love to have one for my m37

dstang97

i get around 20mpg with my 98 dodge cummins. It depends on what combo's you have tires,gears,over all ratio.....etc....

MyAngry85

I'm new at this so I keep leaving out the details. I plan on keeping the gearing the same on the axles, going with a 6" lift with 37" tires. So I'm covered as far as clearances go. I hear equally great things and bad things about every engine I research haha. Makes picking the right one a real bear.

ODdave

How big is your garage? how big is you wallet? those are the to biggest factors. what do you want to do with this truck? toy? daily driver? show? tow rig? theses are also key factors. Let us know.:)

Bye the way, welcome to SS

Preacherboy

As stated above it all depends on axle gearing, tire size, weight of the vehicle, and the way you drive. I think a 4bt is a good choice for a blazer.

With that being said if you are planning on doing all the work of swapping in one ton axles you can probably regear them then. If I was going to the effort of putting a 6bt in a truck and putting 1 ton axles under it I'd build me a m1007a1 (suburban with a cummins) or a m1028a5 (crew cab with a Cummins). A Blazer is just a small, short wheel base truck to have a 6bt in it.

But it is your truck and you can do whatever you want with it! Just keep us posted and take lots of pictures to show us...we want to see how you do everything. And I promise not to flame you!

MyAngry85

Garage is full of car parts but i have a big driveway or street if need be. I can scrimp, save, and sniff out deals. Plus the truck is gonna be my daily-driver-show-toy-rig.

MyAngry85

Flame? And I'll be posting pictures of each project because i really appreciate the input you more experienced guys have. But the darn thing has to stop breaking before I get to start my projects.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I done 4BTAA and 6BTA swaps in and surb cucv and yes k5 6 and 4 the trick is in k5 or m1009 is 308 gears keep them for get the other 1 ton axles you want fuel mpg
4bta at 120 hp and 325 fp lbs tork it has more tork than 6.2L and has turbo on it look for water jacked after cooler.
also in stall an 4l80e trans both the gears and the final drive ratio you can got around 26mpg city and around 30mpg or better I done it and it works.
as for puting 6bt in m1009 it can be done and you will need to beef up front end springs but the 6bt weight is around 1265lbs of weight the adapters will cost around 2000.00
starter bolts ect you can buy on ebay but I stay with destroke products and stay away from 7 deg adapters it not worth it.
and final is the GM6.2l has rpm 3600 and the 4bta is 2500rpm or less or more depending on CPL build and same for 6BT.
Hope it helps your dec.

SGT Estum

If it were me, I'd put in a 6.2L. I was searching on the local craigslist recently and there were several 6.2L engines for sale. It looked like they could all be had for $400 or less. I doubt you can get a cummins for that kind of money.

MyAngry85

CJTroutt, what did you get when you dropped in the 6? And iI agree that is some nice sounding mileage with the 4, but the truck need the one tons with the bigger lift and tires, otherwise it just won't be any fun off road. :grin:

Preacherboy

Flame = ripping on someone's ideas or a post you make, i.e. "that is stupid to put 1 ton axles underneat a m1009"...as far as I'm concerned you can do whatever you want, we just want to see the pics!

I believe Troutt got 30+mpg with 3.08 gears; I think if you want to do substantial mudding you will need lower gears than that...but I'm not an expert. It seems to me in the magazines that sell mudding stuff are selling 4.56 gears and stuff like that. But you can't get fuel mileage and an excellent mudding truck (at least I don't think so)...Troutt will probably chime in again, hopefully (Troutt is an expect about this stuff).

Atwater

seems i remember a article in one of the diesel magazine where they put a 6bt in a 4x4 ramcharger(similar to a blazer). under hard acceleration (ie drag racing) the front would tend to come up:shock: i like the idea of using a crewcab or suburban

Hoolio

I'd rebuild or replace what's in there with like engine.. I've seen a Chevy Dually with a 5.9 Cummins in it...Too long for the engine compartment without chopping..Core support and firewall alterations..

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say this only once you can put 1 ton axles under an M1009.
1 the best gear you will get in an 14t gm is 3.73 with D60 if you use an D70 rear you can get 3.54 in both config just rember the cummins does not turn as much rpm as GM 6.2L
and that will be your short fall.
2 you can install an cummins in Chevy or GMC with out cuting up the core support I done it many times there will half to be some frame mods to set in and have all of your angles in line so you dont have binding or bad vibration do to your angle or degree are off IE drive line and or center line of chassis.
3 AS for me if I was going to do this mod I would buy an first gen Dodge w250 just for drive line eng trans and t case or you can these trucks can be bought for as little 1200.00 to 2200.00 in running order 89 to 90 will have 3.07 gears front D61 d70u rear
or 91 to 93 had 3.54 gears.
4 So an conclusion It is your M1009 CUCV and you can install what your ever you want.
5 If you never install or rebuilt an 3.9 or 5.9 Cummins and installed them into other things
and just look at posting on the internet and or read mag.
6 Last but not least the only way you know it you had to been there and do it IE install.:driver: