• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 brake light help needed

wes935

Today I replaced the turn signal cam and now my brake lights don't work.
I went through the -20 to try and find the problem but nothing I found there fixed the problem.
The fuse is good and I'm getting power through the stop light switch (replaced it too today). I adjusted it and re-installed it twice.
I thought it might be a grounding issue but all headlights, tail lights, and turn signals are working...just no brake lights.
When the turn signal is on and the brake is pressed the turn signal stops flashing.
It appears from the wiring diagram on the -20 that the brake light wiring might pass through the directional signal & hazard flasher switch, but I cannot figure out how or why.
I only replaced the top part of the turn signal cam. The old one was cracked where the turn signal arm was attached. I had to separate the two parts of the cam and use the brass springs and clips from the old cam.
Where did I go wrong?

K9Vic

You bought that Blazer from Saginaw? So you were the guy that out bid me, I will not help.... No Just kidding, I was watching the M1031, but went for too much.

As for your brake light issue seems like you checked everything, but maybe you snapped a wire off under the dash around the steering wheel. I would just look at everything again in the morning when it is cooler and see if you find it. I was going to say replace the switch, but you already did that. Did you try to manually activate the switch? Sometimes that can move up on the holder and not make contact with the brake lever.

wes935

Yes that was me. There was another guy from Fort Worth bidding also.

I manually activated the switch while both in the holder and out...no luck.
On the back of the turn signal cam there are two brass v-shaped clips with four springs under them. Maybe I got them in facing the wrong way. I think I have them with the V pointing to the outside of the column towards the hazard switch. I didn't pay attention which way they were facing before I took them off the old cam.

K9Vic

No you actually out bid me, I was bidding on the M1009 & M1031, but the M1031 was too high for me and than started bidding on the M1009. No worries as I really did not need another M1009 at the time and needed to save my money. Glad it went to a local that will take good care of it and not a scrapper.

Anyways, that may be it as if it stopped working after you changed the signal cam something did not get connected back right or was missed.

wes935

There must have been a short in the old cam. Today I replaced the whole turn signal switch with wires and everything works great.

mr.travo

Hoe much of a pain was it to replace the whole thing? Where did you buy the part from and how much was it? I am about to tackle this this weekend (if I can find the parts).

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoe much of a pain was it to replace the whole thing? Where did you buy the part from and how much was it? I am about to tackle this this weekend (if I can find the parts).

Thanks!
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...keyword=turn+signal+switch&pt=02100&ppt=C0039

$33.99

The hardest part is fishing the wires down the column. When you pull out the old one attach a pull wire to rethread the new wires.

There will be some colorful language during the install....:razz:

mr.travo

Thanks, I saw those earlier and wanted to make sure I was looking at the right one. I switched out columns today to a better one (no goo all in it) but my right front turn signal won't flash unless I bump the turn signal down a little bit. I figured it was the cam because it feels kind of loose. I have replaced one on my CJ-7 years ago and can't quite remember everything about it. It should be a blast :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks