• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Driving Crooked

niferous

I'm shooting a pistol match and a guy that drove in behind me said that my vehicle was driving crooked. He said on a straight roadway he could see my front tire on the driver's side and his passenger could see my front passenger tire on the inside of the rear. So if he's correct (I'll check) that means my rear end was driving to the right of off center to the front.

I've actualy had this before on a 1996 Chevrolet Z-71 that I had a lift kit put on. The bolts in the back didn't get tightened down, or came loose and the rear was swinging out in the same manner.

Anyone think this may be the same problem? Also what is the torque spec for the rear axle U-bolts? I'll probably take one of the nuts off tonight and replace with some grade 8 lock nuts. But I need to know what the torque spec is.

Also do I torque down the nuts with the truck sitting on the groud like I would a tire or do I jack the vehicle up and let the axle hang?

By the way mine is the truck that just had the whole front end rebuilt. If there is something I should check please advise.

Thanks!

rickf

I don't know the specs right off the top of my head but it is real tight. If you use a 1/2 drive ratchet and pull as hard as you can you are close. That condidtion is usually caused by the spring center bolt shearing because of loose u-bolts. Be sure to check the center bolt.

Rick

acesneights1

x2 on both replies. The center bolt is easy to check or it could be an optical delusion....that or your frame is bent...

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the GM trucks of this age group look like they are 'dogtracking'. To satisfy your curiosity, take it to a known good frame shop and have then place it on 'the rack'. They can take measurements and correct a problem if necessary.

One other way would be to find a front end alignment establishment that has the laser setup that can track your rears to the front. That way you will at least know if it is good or bad.

We have one frame shop here in town that is the best in correcting frame misalignment and Sears (of all places - $60 clams) has a very good alignment setup with qualified techs. The frame shop might even check the truck for free, if they know you will have it fixed there if something is found.

Just need to ask around to find the best place(s).

I personally would have the alignment checked first, that way you know what you have and IF you need a frame 'tweak'.

Last edited:

niferous

So can I remove the u-bolts and check the center pin with the vehicle just sitting flat on the ground or do I need to jack up the vehicle and support the frame?

rickf

You will need to jack it up, remove the lower shock attachment and then the u-bolts and then you can lower the axle from the spring. If there is any question then I would take it to an alignment shop first. Might save you a lot of work. As was mentioned the track width is different front to back and can give some strange looks. If you decide to tear it apart just do one side at a time and that way you are not fighting with an axle that wants to fall out.

Rick

rnd-motorsports

Making sure wheel is straight Take a tape measure and a second person have the other person hold tape in the center of the front hub and check distance to the rear wheel center or leading edge of wheel ( just be sure to use same spots on other side )then compare to the other side will give you not perfect but close idea if you have a problem!

rnd-motorsports

Also a worn sping bushing can also give the same problem or symptom take the same tape measure use the front spring mount bolt and check distance to the center of the axle on both side to check your center bolts no need to take anything apart unless you find a diff. can check on both axles save a lot of work!

niferous

I see your point. I have a local guy that does good work I can take it to and see if it's out of whack. On a side note after the guy mentioned it I drove it home and it went nice and straight. When I had the problem before with another truck it was like the vehicle was way out of alignment.

niferous

Ok my local shop said that the vehicle is indeed dog tracking but that he thinks it's the frame. He said the alignment doesn't need to be adjusted and he checked everything and it looks good. He gave me a few body shops to try out and see if they can check the frame. I found a guy near by who said it will be $150 and he'll put it on the frame machine and see of that's it. It's a big body shop that does a lot of vehicle repairs so I know they do a lot of these. I can get it in as early as tomorrow afternoon. He said if it's there by two he can inspect it and if it needs a minor tweaking have it done by five.

Before taking it to the body shop should I now go and inspect the center pin? If so, as I asked before, is that something I need to drop the axle for or can I do it with the truck just sitting on the ground?

What say you?

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can work the $150 into the total bill, not just 150 to place it on the rack! It should not be too much to fix and the going prices around here are around 300 clams all told...depending on the problem(s) found. Also, see if you can stay with the truck when they do it, ask questions too! Believe me, you can learn more about your truck that you thought possible!

Just don't tell her she is going on 'The Rack'!

Good luck Nif!

Last edited:

niferous

Ok I got a call into a customer of mine that has a frame machine. He's going to check it out and then let me know how much to fix. I think he'll be cheaper than the other guy and I have a relationship with him. I'll probably see about getting some of those dents pulled while it's in there. I'm wondering if my fork lift dents and possible bent frame are connected.

I'm dropping it off tomorrow after work. I'll let everyone know how it goes. It will be next week before I know something.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if my fork lift dents and possible bent frame are connected.
Very good possibility. Don't remember where you got yours, but when I picked up my deuce and M1008, I remember seeing some with Forklift damage.

The truck I won was sitting next to her twin. The pic in the bid showed 4 brand new tires on her and when we picked up mine, I noticed that the R/R tire had been harpooned!:evil:

The guy who won it (new mexico) paid an extra 200 clams as it had to be forklifted onto the trailer was it went from 'movable' to 'non-movable'. Trucker was just laughing away.......

rickf

It takes a LOT of force to bend a frame! A **** of a lot more than a forklift picking it up. If the frame were bent from the forklift it would have had to jam the truck against something, like a building. I think you would see evidence of that, like smashed flat! I seriously doubt your frame is bent. GM trucks have a bad habit of the lower spring clamp under the axle rotting away and coming loose. That would be the first place I would look.

Rick

Barrman

Measure from front to rear tire on each side and see how much difference there really is.

Did the alignment shop have a Hunter camera aligner? That machine will print out how much the axle is pointing in which direction. I would get that before you go trying to bend the frame.

rickf

What Barrman is saying is correct but do the measurements at the axle housing inside of the steering knuckle. This is because ANY streering difference from center will give a long one side/ short the other reading. Axle housing to axle housing will be accurate. Keep in mind ANY difference will indicate a problem so pick your measurment points carefully. By any I am talking as little as 1/4". Something to keep in mind here is spring condition, as the springs change height so does the length between axles. Make sure the springs are the same height side to side on each axle. The fronts do not need to be the same as the rear but both sides of the front need to match as do both sides of the rear.
If one of them is off you can still do the measurment, just jack up the frame on the low side to match the high side or put weight on the high side. You get the idea.
Is this splitting hairs? yes, but to make sure of the problem you want everything just right.
I have seen some pretty nasty crashes on Blazers where the frame was not bent or just bent at the front when the rail lined up with the offending object. The frame is designed to bend is certain areas, the main one is behind the front suspension where it bends out towards the sides of the vehicle. It will bend at that point. In order to bend that you basically have to have the engine in the front seat!

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks