• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 gets a snorkel

AndrewH

The button could also be used to operate the propane injection system........ Or to start the continum transmorpher. Or the oil slick, wait, no need to change that system. How about some sort of Lyle gun so you dont have to get out to hook up the winch line?

cessnatwin

I would put a set of the old exhaust headers on there, like on the dragsters that go straight up and aim your exhaust through the hood to! That would finish it off! DO NOT forget a chain link steering wheel!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe an inverted spring loaded flapper that can be sucked open while the truck is running and slams shut with spring pressure when off. Wait, it's a diesel, won't be much vacuum there. Run a 270 degree loop with the opening facing backwards. Should keep stuff out! Now you need a snorkel for the operator.

cessnatwin

You could always get a 5 ton air filter, some threades rod and a wing nut and attatch it too the top of the sewer pipes, gas vent! I have that some pipe coming through the roof of my house!

Doghead summed this whole article up when he made the statement "WHY?"

Doghead is the MAN!

kassim503

I'll pass on the write up. Let me know when You want to buy a hood and cowl because you just ruined a collectors piece.
HA! a collectors piece! Find me a "collector" that wants to buy a dented, cracked, and rusted hood with flaky paint for anything over scrap value. If the bidding ends at over 50 large, ill throw in a free dented fender and door!

3.25" Rain cap is on the way through my friendly local NAPA and 100 miles of 3/8th line for the breathers should be installed soon

kassim503

So I took it out and blasted it through some mud and it works great, but I need to upgrade to the dyson branded donaldson pre-cleaner, the deuce type' shroom dosent do very much to stop debris from getting sucked in. Gotta find a real lake to try it all out in once its complete

On a similar note, when lifting the breathers I got to the turbo 400 case vent, which is a little plastic tube of a unknown size sticking out of the case. I was thinking about taking that out and putting a NPT-barb fitting in there, but I cant really feel a threaded boss or anything. Is this just jammed in there? I read around and found out some conflicting results, either its a 1/8th NPT, or held in by magic.

For reference, the transmission dipstick can be replaced with a locking GM dipstick from a 89-95 Pickup truck with what seems to be both the 4l60 and 4l80 and they seem to all be the same length.

4bogginchevys

magic...and it's metal...just use vaccum line and a tee to connect it to the other vents from there back. use a hose clamp so it doesn't pull off. If your willing, a 1/2" hole in the floor will allow it to vent near the rear of the truck inside. Sure does get old changing the fluids all the time, ask me how I know....

kassim503

I think your avatar sums up how you know:-D

Will do with the vac line, hoping I didnt have to do that. Im actually going to run the breathers up the snorkel stack and cap it with a PTO pump fill cap with a foam element in it. Worried about the possibility of smelling gear oil and ATF in the cabin

kassim503

Finally got around to raising the breathers, but I found something that might arouse suspicion. There is a line running from the fuel tank to the passenger rear wheel well that has a rubber plug and non-oem looking hose clamp on it. Isnt this supposed to be where the check valve and vent goes? I cant really see how its getting air into the tank any other way besides the fuel cap letting some air in.

Oh and on the trans vent, any knowledge on what size it is? I stuck some bulk vac hose I had around on (looks like 1/4 or 5/16th), and it seems to be one size too big, got 4 feet of 3/16th line laying around but id rather know the closest size before getting dirty again.

I actually saw the vent today and it kinda surprised me they didnt put any kind of cap or mesh in there, It really is just a short metal line jammed in there. Even though TH400's are pretty strong, no transmission is built to withstand dust and grit in the oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks