• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 got hit this morning

Napoleon_Tanerite

What do I need to tell a body shop about working on a CUCV?

Someone ran into my M1009 this morning. The damage is all cosmetic (going to need a new LR quarter and rear bumper, which are NOT the most common parts, especially the bumper). Is there anything special I need to tell the body shop about working on these trucks? I know CARC can be nasty stuff, and I don't want anyone to get sick or hurt because they thought they were just working with regular auto paint.

Speaking of CARC, where can I tell them to order more of it to re-spray the truck? I am just looking for the green, since the truck was already solid green, and I like the look.

Shop Rat Fab

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might try calling a few shops that do that kind of work like Memphis Equipment or Jim Henry, for quotes.

Napoleon_Tanerite

I'd have CSI get you the parts/paint, and it's just outside Atlanta.
I'm not familiar with them, who are they? I've got a contact through Old Grouch military surplus to get a bumper, but I'm concerned that it's going to cost more to ship the thing than the cost of the part in the first place. If I can find one relatively locally I'd be happy. A salvage yard around here had an M1009 for YEARS just sitting there.... I went in there today to buy the parts, and wouldn't you know they sent it to the crusher last month. aua I figured the bumper would be tough to find, but this is miserable!

Napoleon_Tanerite

I already kind of spilled the beans in another thread, but here's the story

SO THERE I WAS.......

It was about 730 in the morning, the wife and I are getting ready for work, and we hear a decent crash from the front of the house. The wife goes and looks out the window, and tells me that someone had hit my truck. Not believing her, I went and looked for myself, and sure enough some buffoon had hit my parked M1009. What a great way to start the morning!

So I go outside, and talk to the other driver. It's a 16 year old kid who lives down the street. He's upset, but tells me "don't worry, my dad's a cop". If there is a BETTER reason to worry, I'd like to hear it. So his dad shows up, and to his credit was extremely professional about it. He called a different officer to write up the accident report, to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest. Basically what happened was the kid was in a hurry, and didn't clear the windshield off. He was driving down the road like Ace Ventura with his head out the window, and didn't see my truck parked on the right side of the road. He hit pretty hard judging from the damage, and the fact that there were parts from his Jeep about 10' in front of the Blazer. The only think holding his right wheel on was the broken remnants of his steering linkages. Needless to say, a flatbed was required, while the Battle Blazer drove away wounded, but still in the fight.

Long story short, it's time to get the Blazer fixed. I'm still in the process of tracking down parts (thanks to the members who offered help!). I called all the local salvage yards, and none of them have an M1009 (though one yard did just crush one a few weeks ago!). I've got a few leads on the bumper, and the quarter panel looks like it's going to be an LMC buy. I'm still waiting on the insurance company to come check it out, so I'm just in holding right now. The truck is plenty driveable, but I'm still not thrilled about having to deal with this.

With regard to the paint job-- I'm kind of torn about what to do. I've never really had any desire to maintain a military appearance, it just happened to be green. In fact, it was a solid green, with clear coat on the places that weren't rotted out by the sun. I'm not sure what color to paint it now. I'm leaning toward staying solid green, but I'm not sure if I want to go flat green (CARC/similar) or go with something shiny. My #1 concern is durability. The truck sees a lot of brush and I don't want a paint that will easily scratch down to the metal and create a rust hazard. I do like that the sides were somewhat glossy, as it made knocking the mud off of it easier (the mud on the ground in the pics is from when I blasted the heavy stuff off three weeks ago).

Also, what COLOR should I go with? I like the green, and am used to it, but am strongly considering a lighter color, perhaps tan. I fought an uphill battle in the summer for the air conditioner to keep up with the heat, and I think I could help it out with a lighter color. I'm pretty sure I do NOT want to go camouflaged, and I doubt the body shop would paint that anyway, so it will be a solid color. The interior is green, and will remain so.

Ideas?

Oh, and here are the pictures

Attachments

Maverick1701

bummmer :( I dont know why people cant just pay attention to the road

hopefully this will help prove to people that not all cops are a-holes

richingalveston

M1009 rear quarter

I will look at the one i am parting out, i think the right rear quarter was good.
i have torch and plasma cutter, would be willing to cut out what you need if it is good.
it is in texas, not sure what it cost to get it to you.

rich

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get it to the shop and see what they say about the quarter. If it's repairable that's better for the vehicle than replacing the panel (issues with fit/finish especially LMC product, plus the time it takes to get it done).

If you want a lighter color you might try Tan CARC (or fake CARC). That should reflect more heat. What's on my M1010 isn't nearly as rough as the camo CARC on my deuce.

hwcurtice

I don't know about GA, but in Washington, that Jeep would have been so many ways illegal.

Tires sticking out too far, to start.

Technically, driving while impaired, windows not clear.

ON a side note, there was a cop up here in Washington that gave his kids driving lessons. At the end of the lesson, he'd write them up for infractions. Imaginary write ups, but they learned from it. Need more cops like him. Too bad some doped out idiot killed him... With his own gun...

davidkroberts

I would go ahead an LMC it. Would be a shame to have paid to put on a quarter panel that is already kinda rusty/dented. Start fresh and get it done right. as far as painting. Ive painted m1009's tan, green, and camo. I prefer straight green. The tan is nice but and oil on your hands or where you grab the door to close it gets kinda dingy. I use either Majic brand camo paint or the Cabelas Camo paint by Parker. If you use the Majic brand use two base coats and another two with added hardener. Gives it a nice sheen. The desert Parker brand is a little darker than CARC but is great paint.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason I'm down on LMC body panels (I use lots of other parts from them) was a VERY bad experience with floor replacement panels on my last 1009. They had the general shape of the floor pans but were wrong in so many places that the shop had to cut up a large part of the old rusty floor to piece it in where the LMC panels were wrong. It would have been cheaper to go with the more expensive OEM sheet metal.

mistaken1

That picture of the jeep without the window clear is going to be priceless. Tell the kids insurance company that your truck saved them a lot of money by keeping the kid from killing someone. I would hate to think what we would be reading if you happened to walk out to get in the truck at the same time the kid came down the street.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks