• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That M1009 might have saved a soldiers life, was a key component in a battle, brought medical supplies as necessary to the front lines. The history of the M1009 as a military vehicle and the importance that these Steel Soldiers played in supporting our men and women in the military can not be overlooked.

Thus they are not good donor vehicles in the sense that it dishonors our military. My Opinion of course.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How come you are not in school?

Swiss' comment is what you are suppost to tell your grandpa. Keeps him from robbing any parts..... ;-)

You have an extremely good point swiss! Somebody, I forget who, thinks that the truck may have been part of a training unit but who knows about before that! I have a post in for some help from CARNAC but he seems to be having computer problems again and do not know when they will be resolved. No matter where this truck came from or what it did, it is still a cool old truck and I do intend to save it.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How come you are not in school?

Swiss' comment is what you are suppost to tell your grandpa. Keeps him from robbing any parts..... ;-)
WH these kids now days are on the computer full time at school and the phone. They have more access to SS then us adults

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Murdock,

Here are a few thoughts that hit me this morning when I read the updated posts. There are many people lurking in the background, following all of your progress, and cheering you on. I'm happy to be one of them. I am insanely impressed by your mastery of the English language, and your ability to convey detailed and complicated problems about systems to which you have limited knowledge of. You already know where, when, and how to reach out for help. You have reached out to Steel Soldiers, and ended up joining an international body of military vehicle knowledge. I am proud of your tenacity, and drive to succeed no matter what the circumstances. I'm impressed you have a career already chosen. You remind me of me in many ways.

This CUCV will teach you numerous lessons. Learn as much as you can from each step. You've already tasted success. For that alone, I congratulate you! [thumbzup]

More advice on how to convince your grandfather to let you keep the truck: I bought my M1009 7 years ago. It is my daily driver. I LOVE my CUCV! CUCV's are one of the most practical military vehicles you can own. I use it for trips to hardware stores, run it in parades, park it at static displays, pull stumps out of the ground with it, haul my wife's M422 Mighty Mite or my M151A2 around on my 18 ft flatbed trailer. It was even part of a wedding - it hauled the Best Man and Matron of Honor from the wedding to the reception (no joke).

Keep up the good work, and have fun!!!

Last edited:
Wow... All I can say is that saying thanks would not do justice to how much help and encouragement I have recieved from all of you guys... I still have to say thanks though as it is the best I can come up with :p!

Thank you all!

Without this website, I probably would of never figured out this truck was military in the first place and certainly never have gotten it to this point. I never would of known that this truck runs on a 24v system or that a certain wire was missing to get the truck to work. Now, I can start this thing on the way to being a once again roadworthy Steel Soldier instead of sitting beside a junk pile for countless years to come.

Now with tremendous respect, I shall stop the sappiness and get on with the truck! I am going to be at my Grandpa's place tonight but I am probably not going to get a chance to work on the truck (though I might) because I am going to be helping him get his rv cleaned up and put away since he and my Grandma just got back on Monday from a nearly coast to coast road trip.

I do like the idea of this as my first vehicle and daily driver but I will have to win my Mom over (on top of my Grandpa). I think I might have her thinking about it though because I'm pretty sure this thing could be made roadworthy and titled for less than the cost of an already roadworthy car.

By the way (mostly to ODFever), when it comes to mechanics and stuff, it is very hard for me not to have fun :D! It is also really cool that you have had so many awesome opportunities to use your vehicles. I hope I get some of thos opportunities as well!

Last edited:
Another question, given that I have the time to do so (or just do it tomorrow), should I do the resistor bypass mentioned in so many threads with starting troubles (as a solution, not the problem of course!)? I understand it to be that you disconnect the GP resistor pack and then you can take the wire going from those to the GP relay and hook it to the 12v block right by it. I seem to understand that this can be done with the original relay but may need to be replaced due to carbon build up. Also, should I do this since I'm still trying to get this truck going?

stampy

If you mean the doghead relay then yes but after you get her running . No need to spend money on stuff unless she is running and driving.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Stampy. Get it to start and run, let your grandpa decide what he is going to do and then spend the money on an oil change, fuel fiter and all the other items.

In the mean time save your money.

Just to clarify, I was thinking of doing the glow plug resistor bypass (not the doghead relay, though I will do that if this thing is confirmed rescued) which takes 10 minutes, a couple of wires switched around, and no extra parts. Would that be worth the time so I can get some more stud without chancing it on the glow plugs?

cpf240

Check out the GP system before making changes. In some cases, the GP relay will need to be replaced after doing the bypass, as the contacts get carbon buildup on them, and the 12v conversion can't push through it. I think the bypass is a good idea, just beware that it may cost you some money up front.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure if you have the connectors and crimping tool.

You can/should do all the free/low cost stuff. Just no need to spend a bunch of money for nothing

Yeah. I looked at several of those threads and figure that if I only disconnect the GP resistor pack where it hits the relay, I can just wrap the loose end with tape and hook up the rest like usual for a bypass. That would make it so the resistor system is still there to be able to be used. I guess I might try it but probably just leave it unless something with starts acting up... Thanks guys!

Obviously without posing an ad this time, how about a th400 with a np208 still connected (chevy type and has adapter) for $450 (maybe less)? Might just have to beg my Mom to let me dig into a car fund or something...

Probably won't get to buy it but who knows...

FYI: The url does not lead to an ad!!! Just a picture! I have confirmed it.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your uphill battle to own this might be made a little easier if you show your Mom and grandfather this thread and how you've been adopted by the Steel Soldiers Family.

Thank you for that idea 4x4! My mom does know about the thread and the major support you guys have shown. My grandpa knows about the thread and might know about the support shown. How I see it and how I am putting it across for the most part is that I am getting my license in a few months and this thing will be cheaper to make roadworthy then getting some car off of Craigslist. I might be getting my Mom thinking about it but my Grandpa still wants parts for his civi truck but I think Craigslist can solve that!

Last edited:
I found another deal that I might try and convince my Mom to let me pursue:

00F0F_di1cy6TyYJL_600x450.jpg00w0w_ksAZ7G5tzOJ_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_DpaFybUysD_600x450.jpg

$60 for that thing! I cannot tell if it is the right adapter or not but I think I will call and ask unless you guys can tell. For that price, I could always pick up an adapter (if needed) and a transmission separately. Any tips?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks