• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found another deal that I might try and convince my Mom to let me pursue:

View attachment 459854View attachment 459855View attachment 459856

$60 for that thing! I cannot tell if it is the right adapter or not but I think I will call and ask unless you guys can tell. For that price, I could always pick up an adapter (if needed) and a transmission separately. Any tips?
The price is right for sure. That adapter is for the 700R4 and the input gear sure looks like the 27 spline the 700R4 uses. The 400 turbo uses a 32 spline input shaft and the adapter has a 6 bolt pattern. You could pursue a 700R4 tranny as well.

So sadly, I have not gotten a chance to get the truck started again. I have been very busy helping my Grandpa (which is a good thing of course) and I also have a bunch of projects from different school classes all at once (which is bad of course :p:mad:). In the time I have had though (during which I did not have batteries available) I have managed to get the truck dragged out about 2-3 feet from its hiding spot and I will probably have it all the way out next time. If I get permission to do so, I think I will try to dig into a car fund to buy one of the several well priced NP208s available (aiming for one that has the right input on it) and if necessary, there is somebody else who is selling adapters for $35, and then find one of the several $100 TH400s that are for sale that suits my needs (I will also need to find a cross brace too won't I? Thankfully I already found someone else who has those one CL). On that note, if I find a combo deal for all of that (which I have possibly found), what is the top I should pay for all of that? This would be a deal such as the one I mentioned in post #136. For a 700R$, considering what has been said, the trouble behind it, and that this truck is already highway capable gear wise, I do not believe I will pursue the 700R4 option unless I am presented with something more convincing then I already know. Thank you guys for showing continuing interest in this! Hopefully my Grandpa becomes more convinced than he is at the moment, he still wants his parts...

Crash_AF

Just checked out this thread and I figured I'd add to the encouragement pile. I learned to work on cars early on as well, and am always glad to see someone so young have an interest in a mechanical trade. Building your first vehicle will not only be a great learning experience from a mechanical standpoint, but from a life lesson standpoint as well as you will be more proud of the truck and treat it right since you have put the sweat equity into it. You will always be able to point at it with pride and say "I built that".

From a project management standpoint, and don't take this as a bad thing, you need to curb your enthusiasm and stop throwing your time in various directions at once. Make a checklist of everything the truck needs to run. Start with the electrical, work towards the fuel, then the little stuff. Then follow it religiously so you don't lose focus. It's easy to want to play with little things, but you need to practice focusing on the necessary so you can get to the fun stuff, trust me, I speak from experience in this as I always wasted time fiddling with unimportant distractions. Once you get the engine sorted, then you can start looking for the rest of the missing driveline. There are lots of generous people on here, and once you get closer to needing those parts, opportunities may crop up.

Also, don't chase rabbits on CL. Decide what you want, then go find it. Otherwise you'll never get something. I would recommend finding a transmission/transfer case that are already put together, and preferably that came from a running truck. NEVER buy a used transmission that has no oil in it. You have no idea what the inside is like because you can't smell/see the fluid condition. Also, getting a transmission from a diesel will save you the trouble of digging up the proper torque converter.

Final thoughts, let me give you another kudos for your online communications skills. It's rare to find someone your age who can hold a coherent, technical conversation without 'internet grammar'. Trust me, that gains you HUGE respect and people take you seriously because of it. Always remember that.

Hang in there, and trust me, there are many people here who are looking forward to the day you post up pics of you driving that beast under its own power for the first time.

Later,
Joe

Thank you both for your tips! I will admit that a checklist is something that I should have even though I usually just go by what I know and what I have learned here. I will also admit that I can easily get distracted in my excitement over things but that is why I turned here. I hope to finish getting the truck pulled out this weekend and I shall go from there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I have said before, make sure the engine functions correctly before spending a lot of cash on parts.

You are doing great so far and you might be surprised with support later on.

So when is your 16th birthday?

Crash_AF

Check list yes, curb your enthusiasm no.
To clarify, I'm not saying for him not be enthusiastic about it, I'm saying to keep it under control so he can finish the marathon, rather than throwing his efforts into a thousand directions.

I think he got what I was saying, but some others might think I'm being a wet blanket, which isn't my intent. Love that he's got a passion, just want to see him make it the distance rather than burning himself out with unfocused efforts and get frustrated. Been there, done that... especially as a teen.

[thumbzup]

Well today I only got a few minutes on the truck but I found something out. When I was getting into the truck, I heard sloshing in the back and realized that the tank was practically full of diesel. On top of that, I realized that the stuff must be offload diesel! It makes a lot more sense then there being ATF in the thing and it means that the truck has been fairly untouched! Now just to get my Grandpa convinced to save the truck!

I will possibly have more time to work on the truck on Monday.

The only things that I know of so far are that are missing are the transmission, the transfer case, and the drive shafts (including the stuff in between). There is a fellow SS member that has offered me a generous combo of all that and a mostly complete engine for an amazing price (and all still bolted together) that would give me enough parts to fix this truck and my Grandpa's civi truck. At this point, I just need to continue checking that this truck can reasonably be made roadworthy and convince my Grandpa to allow it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks