• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 HMMWV Tires?

3dubs

I did try the search feature. So if someone wants to say search, please just post a link to the thread.

I want to go with used HMMWV tires. I would like to put information on this thread for people that search in the future. While I would like to not use spacers I would like that info here.

Questions:

What is the HMMWV tire size?

What rim widths will work?

What would be the rim offset?

How much lift is required for the tires to fit on the M1009?

Any other information that would help?

84cucv1ton

older ones are 36. newer ones are 37" and radial. mine are on a 10" wheel. will see about the off set. im lifing mine 4" and cutting the fenders. i want to keep it low. if you dont want to cut. need s 6" kit.. 4" kit you can use the old drive shafts i was told.. 6" you cant from what i was told. hope it helps

3dubs

I was planning the 4" lift also. Do you have pics of what had to be cut? Just the bottom of the fender or inside too?

3dubs

Here is a thread I found about using the rims. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/25678-hummwv-wheels-m1009.html

I am running Super Swampers now because I am off road a lot. But I needed to replace two tires because something ripped a large chunk out. I was told the HMMWV tires are a harder rubber so they will last longer and resist cuts better. I am mostly in mud so the soft rubber just wears out faster on the road. Plus the cost of the tires. So I will spend the money and time to lift and cut.

I think I will use the HMMWV rims too.

I would like to know where to cut so I can cut before I put the tires on.

3dubs

Can the new radials work with the 8 bolt HMMWV rims? Just found some info on making my truck 8 bolt but I do not know about 12 bolt.

84cucv1ton

6 are for the old and the 12 are for the new.. not sure. someone told me they both have a dot stamp. pretty sure. to think of it get 3/4 ton axles. there cheap. 2 to 400. 4.10 gears is common. a friend killed the 400 with 35" tires on stock axles.

Barrman

The 37" radial tires had the rubber run flat. The 36" bias ply 8 bolt split had the bolt together run flat. The run flats have to stay with the rim they were meant for. If not using run flats, then not a problem.

3dubs

Run flats are nice but I am not worried about them. What year and model 3/4 ton axles will bolt straight into the M1009? I do not want to have to cut and weld to make it fit. I will have to do this in my driveway before the HOA realizes.

MudderMilitia

I did try the search feature. So if someone wants to say search, please just post a link to the thread.

I want to go with used HMMWV tires. I would like to put information on this thread for people that search in the future. While I would like to not use spacers I would like that info here.

Questions:

What is the HMMWV tire size? Bias plys are 36" The radials are 37" Bias plys are junk, dont waste your time. The radials are nice

What rim widths will work? Im running 8" wide

What would be the rim offset? I believe mine are 4.25" offset

How much lift is required for the tires to fit on the M1009? I'm running 4" lift with very slight fender trim in the front

Any other information that would help?
Answers above ^^^ I am running the 37s on my M1009 with a set of black steelies I bought through summit. Check out trailworthyfab.com He can get the tires for cheap and he can even get hummer wheels and recenter them with 6-lug centers for your 1/2 ton axles. I searched and couldnt find a 6 to 8-lug wheel spacer. If you want to swap in 3/4 ton 8 lug axles It is pretty simple. The front is a bolt in deal. The rear end has the same spring perch width (as long as its from a 3/4 ton pickup or burban) Im not positive on the shock mounts. And you will have to get a conversion u-joint for the rear axle

3dubs

When lifting with springs they just give you longer springs. Do you know what length will give a four inch lift? I may just buy a lift but I like the junk yard prices better.

2deuce

If you go to some of the offroad sites you will find in depth threads on how to modify your truck. From what I have read don't by a kit, you will save money and have a better riding truck, but it will not be a total bolt on affair. There is so much that can be done to improve the CUCV for offroad use it will boggle your mind. As far as the radial HMMWV tires they should be on the 12 bolt wheels, bias on the 8 bolt. Dually hubs on the front, spacers on the rear if your don't have them re-centered. They don't look nearly as good recentered, but that's a personal opinion. Don't put them on your 10 bolt axles. I think I would look for 3.73's with the 14 bolt but that ratio also is a personal preference and depends how and where your going to drive your truck the most. Whatever you do we want to see pictures.
Good luck!
Greg

2deuce

One other thing about cutting fenders, I would't do it until you get the tires and lift on your truck. Besides the fact that trucks can all measure alittle differently, how much cutting you will need also depends on where you drive and the lift and flex you end up with. Too much cutting can change the look of the truck and might not be where its most needed. You might consider a zero rate on the front to move the axle forward to center it and a steering box brace for the frame with the big tires.

3dubs

I need to keep the top speed. I drive on the road to go hunting. I hunt hogs year round so I have to be ready for whatever. With the bigger tires the spare will come out giving me more room. I will also be adding a turbo. Pulling trailers in the hills really maxes me out. I was not even in mountains just rolling hills. But I want to keep the modifications looking military. But I need the road and mud traction.

3dubs

2duece so just add the dually hubs on any axle or should I get the whole axle? I bet the dually front brakes would resist fade in the wet and muddy places. I will change the gears to keep the top end about the same. I am going to use the military HMMWV rims to keep the look.

Front:
What axle to go with the dually hubs?
If it should be replaced, what size and years?

Rear:
What size axle and years work best?

Last edited:

2deuce

Dually trucks had the dana 60 up front. I believe they were used up until 1991. The CUCV dana 60 is a popular swap into a M1009. The 10 bolt axle won't handle the HMMWV tires and the engine won't pull them very well with the 3.08 gears either. With the bigger tires you can still maintain the freeway speeds with a higher ratio in a 14 bolt rear. The CUCV's with the dana 60 had 4.56 gearing which may be too slow on the highway for you. A SF 14 bolt rear out of a suburban will bolt in and be strong enough for the 6.2 and 37" HMMWV tires but the front won't be strong. It depends what kind of offroading you intend for your truck. There are alot of choices but to keep the 10 bolt and run
HMMWV tires is not a good one and will be discouraged by many, not just me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks