• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 HMMWV Tires?

3dubs

I have seen the M1008 put in. They are great until you have to spend a couple hours on the highway. I can figure the gears needed for the bigger tires to keep about the same top speed. I agree on the axles being too weak. Last thing I want is another long walk in the middle of the night.

So up front Dana 60 with dually hubs will get it done. In the back just a 14 bolt 8 lug rear end. I am just trying to have an idea when I go to the junk yard. If I ask for it it too specific the price goes up. But if I ask for it with several models and year ranges I can get a better deal.

MudderMilitia

Dually trucks had the dana 60 up front. I believe they were used up until 1991. The CUCV dana 60 is a popular swap into a M1009. The 10 bolt axle won't handle the HMMWV tires and the engine won't pull them very well with the 3.08 gears either. With the bigger tires you can still maintain the freeway speeds with a higher ratio in a 14 bolt rear. The CUCV's with the dana 60 had 4.56 gearing which may be too slow on the highway for you. A SF 14 bolt rear out of a suburban will bolt in and be strong enough for the 6.2 and 37" HMMWV tires but the front won't be strong. It depends what kind of offroading you intend for your truck. There are alot of choices but to keep the 10 bolt and run
HMMWV tires is not a good one and will be discouraged by many, not just me.
Agreed. 3.08s and 37s arent that great. I cant imagine offroading with that setup. I am running that setup on my daily driver m1009. I would like to swap axles, just dont have the $$ for it now and this setup aint too bad when Im on the highway which is what I drive mostly.

It really depends what type of offroading you will be doing and how hard you plan on driving the truck. You could get away with 3/4 ton axles if you are just gonna play in the mud. But if you plan on any sort of rock crawling or hard trail riding, you will be reaching the limits of that front axle. I would definitly recommend getting a 3/4 ton full floater 14-bolt rear no matter what. In the front get the d60 if you are going to drive the truck hard. But plan on spending at least $600 on that + more for rebuild or parts upgrades. D60s are not cheap by any means. I got lucky and found my front 60 for $1100 already rebuilt with new brakes, 5.13 gears, and a detroit locker. I upgraded the stub shafts to 35-spline chromoly and added drive flanges and a 1410 Yoke before I installed it in my 89 K-5 trail rig. Good luck

3dubs

OK my junk yard does not even have anyD60's. If I go get a donor truck what should I get? Could I get a Suburban and put dually front hubs on the axles? The rear axle from a dually would not work would it? What should I look for in a donor?

MudderMilitia

OK my junk yard does not even have any D60's. If I go get a donor truck what should I get? Could I get a Suburban and put dually front hubs on the axles? The rear axle from a dually would not work would it? What should I look for in a donor?
Suburbans are only 1/2 and 3/4 ton so you will not find a dana 60 there. You can't put dually hubs on a 3/4 ton front axle, only dana 60 front. The dana 60 front you want will be from a 77-87 K30, 77-91 K30 crew cab, or M1008 and its other variants. You can use single rear wheel axles and the hummer wheels, you will just need to get 1.5" wheel spacers. You can also use the dually rear axle as long as it isnt a 14-bolt from a cab and chassis. They are too narrow for your truck. Also A 14-bolt full floater from a Chevy van will work as well. They are slightly wider then the SRW truck 14-bolt so you wouldn't need spacers for that

maynard83

Here are some pics of my M1010 with a 4.5 inch lift kit and 37" H1 Wheels with run flats. Went with the 4.5 as this allowed us to keep the original drive shaft. Some cutting had to be done but was done after they were put on. Also added spacers; 1 inch in front and 2 inch in the rear if I remember correctly.

Attachments

coyotegray

Does anyone make wheels in standard sizes that are bolt together like HMWWV wheels? 16"..? I want to be able to work on my tires without a shop but want to keep things as standard as possible...

Thanks,
Andy..