• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 in bed of my M923A2 5 ton???

dirk721

Well, I'm a long time reader of this site and have had tons of help from reading posts to help build my rigs, but I'm finally starting my first post.

I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not since there are only 3 stock mount tabs on each side of the 5 ton from the bed to the frame. I do a lot of towing/hauling vehicles but the 6 total stock mounting tabs on the 5 ton that allow the bed to flex from the frame seem inadequate for the amount of pulling from body-roll on the M1009 that would be up there. Should I make some more mounting tabs from the bed to the frame or were these stock beds/mounts made strong enough for side to side pushing or pulling that a vehicle up that high wouls create? I'll be welding some heavy D-rings inside of the bed for tie downs on the tires. The total height will be 12'10" to the top of the roof rack. I'm a little under 5,000 pounds on the M1009 so it's technically half of the rated bed capacity.

I would love to hear some thoughts, ideas or experience on this matter. Thanks for the help in advance! beast on tank.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with 98G, compress the suspension as much as possible to reduce the bouncing. Do you have the front shackle mounts still? I would think it would be easier to flat tow the M1009. I'm just leaving my towbar attached since I tow my CUCV occasionally behind 5-ton trucks.
IMG_1225.jpg

PS - it took 3 tries to get the photo oriented correctly and I can't delete the first two.
Evidently, the tow bar stays in place no matter what position the truck is in.

Attachments

Last edited:

dirk721

Thanks guys for the ideas and input!

Drunkle Scuzzy Yep that's my wheeling rig. I have a trip to Moab in May and the road to get where we camp has a few low spots that make it so we can't take trailers through. This was my option to get my entire rig down to the camp site.

I fabricated the front and rear tube bumpers so I could keep the OEM shackles/rings in place. I will definitely hook some extra straps to them to keep it from bouncing around.

I just finished welding up my ramps for this so I'll be posting some pictures soon. I ended up making them 13'6" and it still has quite the angle to get up to the tall bed on the 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks