• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 injector pump issues.

Snuffy74

So after having issues with what seemed to be air in the fuel lines, I've replaced lines, filters, and lift pump. Each seemed to fix the issue for a couple days, and eventually turned into not starting at all. The injector pump began dripping fuel from everywhere, though, so now I have a new one. However, I seem to have messed up the timing on the pump... no start, dark smoke from the exhaust and some from the intake. I removed the pump by going through the hole for the oil fill, which was recommended to me as far easier, but I can't see any timing marks that way. So my question is, when replacing a pump this way, is it a crap shoot as to whether or not the pump matches up? If so I'm sorry I didn't just pull the timing cover off. It's aggravating having to go buy gaskets and such again...

AECS

There is a locating pin on the flange the pump bolts to, that along with the offset bolt pattern make it only go on one way. If you got all 3 bolts in from the oil filler hole it is on right. The timming marks are on the flange of the pump and the outside of the block. NOT IN THE TIMING COVER.

More likely you still have air in the lines and that needs to be bleed out. I started mine once the pump was installed before I put the manifold on, this way I could check for leaks on the lines and such.

To bleed the air, loosen the lines at the injectors (all 8 and crank it for about 30 seconds at a time with a 2 minute rest in between. Do this until you have fuel spraying at all 8 injectors. Also I removed all 8 glow plugs, drops the compression to almost 0, makes it much easier on the starter. Once you have spray on all 8 injector lines, tighten up, re-install glow plugs and she should fire right up.

rsh4364

I have read that it's possible to install the pump 180 degrees out by putting the locating pin in the wrong hole on flange, I will find out more next month when I replace one in my 85 1009.

cucvrus

CUCV injection pump installation.

Never heard of having the injection pump off 180 degrees. It is my belief and experience that it only fits one way to get the 3 M8 bolts back in thru the gear to the pump. I just replaced my injection pump today. It is fairly easy and seems to be a nice way to clean and go over several other items that need attention. I am sure if it could have been installed 180 degrees off I would have encountered that scenario in the 100 plus injection pumps I installed. I think the 3 hole are configured in a way that only all 3 M8 bolts will go in when the pump is timed correctly on the gear. The Crown of Thorns is up and running. I have a bit to much 911 in it and a quart of Howes along with several other additives that were put in by helpful friends and myself. And I always go thru the oil fill hole to access the pump bolts. Remove the rubber grommet when you are doing it. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Snuffy74

I didn't see how I could have the timing 180 degrees off, either. The bolt pattern on the gear isn't evenly spaced, so it seems there's only one way to get the pump back on. Even if the engine was rotated, there's only one way to mount the pump, and that puts it in line with the cam. Unless I'm having some inability to understand something that's pretty simple. What scared me was the amount of dark exhaust fumes coming out of the intake when I tried to start it. It sounds like it wants to run but it makes lots of smoke and doesn't quite fire up. And replacing a pump on a diesel isn't something I've done before. At least I'm getting fast at tearing into the thing, lol.

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How full is your diesel tank? When it is really low it is harder to prime the entire fuel system. Sounds like you have a common problem of no start with both pumps. You still have air in the lines some where I bet. If there is no air in the system I would check glow plugs next. Good luck.

Snuffy74

Tank is half full with fresh fuel. It isn't cold enough here to gel. The lift pump is new, and while I expected to have a lot of air to push out of the system it is possible I underestimated just how much that would take. I've only ever seen exhaust from an intake once before, and it was due to the cam being way, way off on timing. I'm not a diesel guy, but I'm trying to become one.

cucvrus

Did you leave the nozzle lines open and disconnect your glow plugs system while bleeding the air out? Crank it till you see bubbles at the loose nozzle nuts and then tighten them nozzle nuts up. Reconnect your glow plug system and start the truck. I have another CUCV to slave off of so I have an advantage on my crank time. But if you charge the batteries real good and crank it over to bleed the system. you should be able to fire it up.

Snuffy74

I loosened the nuts at the injectors and had fuel dripping, but it's possible that there was still quite a bit of air with it. Gonna try that when I get home from work. Like I said, it was the exhaust from the intake that worried me. Hard to believe how much there was, but again I'm inexperienced when it comes to diesels. Glad this site exists for help, the TM is great but I can't ask it a question.

cucvrus

And you drove this truck right up to the point that the injection pump quit? I am asking because the exhaust smoke out of the intake does sound odd to me.

Snuffy74

Other than the air in the fuel issues, it gave me no trouble. It finally got to where it didn't start at all and the pump was leaking everywhere. It didn't miss, no odd sounds, nothing. If it's something else, it showed up at the exact same time the pump died. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to hurt it, either. Your guess is as good as mine.

cucvrus

Stay on course. You are still just installing an injection pump. Do not think it deeper. Try and get it running. I hope you did not cycle the glow plugs the entire time you were cranking to get the air bleed out.

Chaski

About the only thing I can come up with that has not been mentioned is that maybe you managed to roll a couple lines on the pump? It might be possible to roll a couple lines, or install them all off by one position. That might explain your problem.

For bleeding the system I'm of the opinion that it is worth the 10 minutes to pull all the glow plugs.

Snuffy74

Gonna recheck everything and bleed it again. It's probably something really simple that will leave me mad at myself when I realize what it is.

cucvrus

About the only thing I can come up with that has not been mentioned is that maybe you managed to roll a couple lines on the pump? It might be possible to roll a couple lines, or install them all off by one position. That might explain your problem.

For bleeding the system I'm of the opinion that it is worth the 10 minutes to pull all the glow plugs.
I hope you did not put the lines on the wrong fittings. That would not be good. I always completely reassemble my engines after installing the pump and then just slave them to start. Less then 5 minutes and they are going. Rattle Rattle Rattle. Then I hear new sounds that were not there with the old pump. But they run great every time.

Snuffy74

Rechecked the lines, everything back together, still no start. It sounds like it fires on a cylinder or two but won't actually catch. I'm back where I started. About the only part of the fuel system I haven't looked at is the injectors. Can't see how so many would fail from the truck sitting for a month, though. They were fine when it last ran.

Chaski

Is this a new pump, or a new to you pump?

I had an issue one time with a pump I thought was good, it wouldn't start unless I gave it quite a bit of throttle, and it wouldn't idle. Took it to a pump shop and they got it working. The metering valve was screwed up.

Snuffy74

Ordered the pump from diesel care in memphis, TN. Looks like new. Since I'm out of ideas here it will probably have to be towed someplace to be looked at, unfortunately.

Snuffy74

I'll try to get a video tomorrow and post it. If I can avoid paying labor I'll be thrilled. And honestly I hate the idea of putting in the effort I have and admit defeat, lol. What frustrates me is that it sounds like it's so close to starting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks