• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Today I was off early to help a family friend split some wood. I always knew why I bought the towing package. P1000686.JPG It spilt a lot of wood. Mainly I run the lever. Then I came home and repaired my little wood hauler. I removed a used starter from a parts tractor and fixed all my issues. P1000687.JPG Something is not right with the starter that I just had rebuilt. The drive comes up and engages but slips in the clutch of the starter drive. I tested it with the flywheel removed and it comes out every time and spins and sounds great. The flywheel in place it is not happening. I think the starter drive has a sealed clutch. It's well built it's a Honda. This was the donor tractor. I have 4 stored in an M1010 body. I love tinkering and figuring things out. Besides you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
Have a great week and Be Safe.

dougco1

Today I was off early to help a family friend split some wood. I always knew why I bought the towing package. View attachment 823230 It spilt a lot of wood. Mainly I run the lever. Then I came home and repaired my little wood hauler. I removed a used starter from a parts tractor and fixed all my issues. View attachment 823231 Something is not right with the starter that I just had rebuilt. The drive comes up and engages but slips in the clutch of the starter drive. I tested it with the flywheel removed and it comes out every time and spins and sounds great. The flywheel in place it is not happening. I think the starter drive has a sealed clutch. It's well built it's a Honda. This was the donor tractor. I have 4 stored in an M1010 body. I love tinkering and figuring things out. Besides you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
Have a great week and Be Safe.
I see your wife had her hair done again.

cucvrus

I received a call from the transmission shop. the transmission is good to go. They said it had slight wear on the 3rd gear clutches. But he also said it could be that it is that old and they were getting old and slipping slightly. I had it up the road a few times over the years. Just to blow the dust out. I will get down to get it I hope soon. Working 10 hours at my day job has me beat for now. Take Care. I will report as it happens.

cucvrus

My thread slipped to the second page. I must be a slacker. I worked a full 9 hour day and came home with a small amount of energy left. Enough to remove the rear fiberglass top and slide it back for close examination of the pinch weld area and examine the seals. I very much dislike the M1009 rear roof seals. I only ever did 2 replacements and they were both Genuine GM seals. They fit poorly as do the LMC seals. Not sure where I am going wrong. I clean the seals and examine them. If they look good and are pliable I reassemble. I only replace what seals are cracked or torn on the roofs. I have learned I must remove the seals on the steel cab and dig deeper into that pinch weld area. As much as I hate picking scabs and digging for problems it must be done. This M1009 has nice seals and they are pliable. I do not know what is under the seal or behind the steel panel. I guess I am going to find out. P1000698.JPGP1000699.JPGP1000700.JPGP1000701.JPGP1000690.JPGP1000691.JPGP1000692.JPGP1000693.JPGP1000694.JPGP1000698.JPGP1000699.JPGP1000700.JPGP1000701.JPGP1000690.JPGP1000691.JPGP1000692.JPGP1000693.JPGP1000694.JPGP1000695.JPG

cucvrus

I am going to remove the 4WD shifter so I can undercoat the underside and clean and lube the shifter mechanism. I also will move the 4WD light wiring to the outside so it does not have to travel on the topside of the floor. P1000688.JPG I have the body mounts, motor mounts and rear transmission mounts. I bought 2 sets so I have all the parts for my final build. P1000689.JPGCheck out the roof and seal area and let me know if I should begin digging into the seals and roof. P1000690.JPGP1000691.JPGP1000692.JPGP1000693.JPGP1000694.JPGP1000695.JPGP1000696.JPGP1000700.JPGI am going back to the barn and tear into the 4 WD shifter removal. Easy since the transmission and transfer case are already out of the vehicle. Thank you for looking.

Last edited:

cucvrus

As I was down in the barn working I decided I wanted to clean and undercoat the under side of the floor tunnel where the transmission area is. P1000717.JPGI removed the 4WD shifter and disassembled it. I know how easy they are supposed to work and this one was a bit tight. P1000708.JPGP1000709.JPGP1000710.JPGP1000711.JPGP1000712.JPGP1000713.JPG The floor area above the transmission is in great shape. I used a 3M scratch pad to clean it up. P1000714.JPGP1000715.JPGP1000716.JPG I washed down the entire area thoroughly with DX330 wax and grease remover. I wash everything I am going to paint. I painted this area and was painted myself in the face when I was done. You gotta love undercoating over your head.

cucvrus

I cleaned up the 4WD shifter housing and undercoated the bottom side and the lever. I will grease and oil everything and reassemble it before I install it. It is a little more complex that just a lever. it has a spring and bushings and will shift nice when everything is cleaned , greased and oiled. I will let the undercoating dry thoroughlyP1000719.JPG before I reassemble it.

cucvrus

I was highly motivated this AM. I finished my Honda wood hauler, filled the bird feeders and emptied my shop of all other pieces of equipment but the M1009. And look at 1000 the windshield is out and I have completed my goal. If only I were strong enough to carry the fiberglass roof. The windshield is marked with wipers and scratches. It was not the factory glass. I removed it and scrapped it right away. It came out easily and the pinch weld is relatively clean and rust-free. Minor rust and an easy fix. Now onto the rear roof seal on the cab. P1000720.JPGP1000721.JPGP1000722.JPGP1000723.JPGP1000725.JPGP1000728.JPGP1000727.JPGP1000726.JPG

cucvrus

And just like that the rear cab roof seal was off and I see nothing bad This is an area I have overlooked in the past. I have been challenged installing these seals and I have tried every trick in the book. Seems that nothing fits like the original. I may just clean up the original and reinstall it. Maybe. Maybe NOT. Have a Great DayP1000729.JPGP1000730.JPGP1000731.JPGP1000732.JPGP1000733.JPG Be Safe. I think the big difference was that this was inside my dusty barn in the dry for the past 20+ years and the others were out in the weather. Live and Learn.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hoping in 2021. I should work faster but I hate sanding and bodywork in the cold. Working in a 115 year old barn with an electric heater just don't cut it when it is below freezing. Insulation is needed.
I received a 180,00 to 220,000 btu “cannon” heater for Christmas. It goes through a 5 gallon container of diesel about every other day. It’ll burn diesel, kerosene, and some other types. It was a bit expensive but it keeps my 2,400 sf barn warm. I too hate working in the cold.

cucvrus

Sorry to report that I have been making zero progress on my project. I have been working 60 hours a week at my day job. Snow has been relentless. That along with broken loader pins and just keeping things going have me frazzled. I think I am going to order the wing vent seals and replace them in my home basement work shop. I am hoping for better days. I have made progress in my barn with lighting and getting a few of the gaps closed in the second floor area so I may attempt the heating again. Take Care and Be Safe. It was snowing again today. Joy.

cucvrus

Today it reached 60* and we had massive snow melt. I still made it home by dark. I have made a promise to show something I found while doing some barn cleaning. I had the carpeting removed from my living room and dining room. I had hardwood floors put in. I wanted to save the carpeting since it was relatively nice yet and could serve as an insulator on my barn work bay. I cleared 1/2 of the 2nd floor and rolled the carpet down. Fancy. P1000747.JPGDuring my clean up I came across a CUCV bumper stash. They were buried under boxes and other things. P1000743.JPGP1000746.JPGP1000744.JPGP1000745.JPG
I found this rear M1009 bumper and am not sure it came from Little Red but it has the 28th ID on it. I think it would be a good donor bumper for the project. I hope that brings a smile. Maybe even the numbers would be a great match to the M1009. Anyway I wanted to keep my word and cut the suspense. Be Safe.

Last edited:

cucvrus

As I was cleaning and sorting parts in my second floor barn area I came across 2 temperature fast idle switches. one is AC Delco/GM 10154649 and the other is the Standard Auto Parts TX 47 sensor. The AC Delco I see on line is over $100. and I see used ones listed for $60+. I looked up the Standard Auto parts and it was $30. Just mentioning it because I examined both of them and they are exact in everyway. I seen this topic discussed in the past and wanted to share this in case you need one. Search the Standard part and you will be good to go. No pictures I don't keep a camera or phone with me at all times. Take Care. Be Safe.
Standard Motor Products TX47 Diesel Glow Plug Sensor (stockwiseauto.com)

What I also found neat was a list of vehicles that use the same part. When I am at YOUPULLITS I am always finding similar and same as CUCV parts on many GM cars and trucks from the same era.

NOS NEW 10154649 AC DELCO GM COOLANT TEMPERATURE SWITCH | eBay

1love

As I was cleaning and sorting parts in my second floor barn area I came across 2 temperature fast idle switches. one is AC Delco/GM 10154649 and the other is the Standard Auto Parts TX 47 sensor. The AC Delco I see on line is over $100. and I see used ones listed for $60+. I looked up the Standard Auto parts and it was $30. Just mentioning it because I examined both of them and they are exact in everyway. I seen this topic discussed in the past and wanted to share this in case you need one. Search the Standard part and you will be good to go. No pictures I don't keep a camera or phone with me at all times. Take Care. Be Safe.

What I also found neat was a list of vehicles that use the same part. When I am at YOUPULLITS I am always finding similar and same as CUCV parts on many GM cars and trucks from the same era.

Good info thanks for this.

cucvrus

WOW I am glad this is rain and not snow. We would be snow bound again. I found a box of General Motors books I forgot I had. They are from my GM dealership days and I have the 6.2 GM manual and the 6.5 Liter V8 Turbo Diesel manual. They are GM STG manuals. Service Technology Group. Forgot I even had them. They have been in storage almost 30 years. Probably put out there in 1995 when I was doing remodeling. Rubbermaid totes are infallible in the dark dry barn. P1000748.JPG Also found an article on this wild 2 cycle engine. 152426336_4418324924851029_736404231342326990_onew engine.jpg Check out the clean green exhaust on these new Mack trucks. P1000737.JPGI was out sorting thru parts and it is so damp a miserable I came in to share some interesting things. I hope you find them interesting. They came complete with pictures. Have a great Day and Be Safe. Spring is just around the corner. I think we will get 1 more accumulative snow fall this year. I hope not but it is bound to sneak up on us all here.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'm going to have to look at mine as my cold start seems to be having a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works, sometimes it waits a little while before working, and it seems to idle down to soon. I'll start with the basics, connections, making sure they are clean and tight. I've replaced the idle speed control solenoid but none of the temp sensors. But the information is very useful! (y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks