• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 no power need assistance

rsh4364

It was starting to remind me of a dumptruck we borrowed from another crew a few years ago,it would start and run but not well,and had no power.but everything checked out good.mechanic finally discovered the problem.someone had filled tank with gasoline and all our dumps are diesel. I heard it cost the company 5k to rebuild..

rickf

There is also a filter at the inlet to the injection pump. It should never get clogged because of the regular filter but I have had it happen. If you continue to get air replace all of the rubber lines whether they look bad or not, actually they should be replaced anyway if it has never been done. Then look very carefully at the steel lines since they do rot out. Any air at all and it will run like crap.

rodman68

Ok thanks for the info I did replace three lines the one to the filter the one from the filter and the little one on the IP looks like there is one under the truck also. Shouldnt be any gas in it unless someone is doing a very bad trick on us the test fuel I had didnt smell like gasoline at all also. So time will tell on this one but I have high hope that it is resolved its not sluggish anymore I quarantee that. Thanks for all the help everybody.

rodman68

Well did it again she is in the garage I believe the biodiesel is gelling up on me in the tank figured I had enough diesel in it. Also the ford had problems today the dang fuel filter drain started leaking real bad when it rains it poors. I am charging the batteries will do a flow test then get a electric heater for under the tank. Heat the tank up overnight use an electric fuel pump I have drain most of the fuel install some fresh 100% diesel and then go from there.

rodman68

Yes there is biodiesel in there the whole time please be kind with the remarks for that mistake. Last year a 50/50 mix did ok but this year i didnt get it to that point and some unusual cold snaps hit out here so I would think it gelled up on me. Thats what you get for trying to save cash on the biodiesel for a vehicle that sits outside in the elements over the winter. I am thinking that I was close to 70 % biodiesel and 30% diesel but that is most likely #2 diesel I dought it if you cand find #1 around here close at the pumps. What I can tell from other web sites show cloudiness will start to show at that blend around 30 degrees, a 50/50 mix is at 10 degrees. I ran a test of the 70/30 mix that seems to confirm that, temps were high 20s and lo 30s and you can tell the fuel was cloudy.

rickf

Contrary to popular belief not all diesel engines will run good on bio-diesel. Small truck diesels are designed for regular diesel fuel and there is little room for error there. The dynamics are totally different on a large engine. I have never really heard all that much good from running bio in the 6.2-6.5 engines. The Ford 7.3 loves it and the Dodge 5.9 will run it fairly well but I have had to clean out a lot of GM's because of it. Never saw much damage from it, they just do not seem to run very well on it, not like the other brands.

Rick

spectre6000

Credentials: I used to be in charge of an experimental biodiesel feedstock program for the largest biodiesel refinery in the US... I'm new to the forum and haven't yet purchased a CUCV, so I figured I should probably open with that.

Biodiesel will run just like dino diesel unless you are running at the ragged edge of the engine's abilities due to biodiesel's a slightly lower energy content (about 7% off the top of my head, but there's a lot that goes into that figure); though we're talking ragged edge of the ragged edge of the sort that's essentially only theoretical. Differences in CFPP (Cold Filter Plug Point, or the temperature at which the fuel starts to gel) can cause problems. If you run really poor quality fuel for a long time and your system is thoroughly gummed up without appropriate filtration, running biodiesel can pull gunk off lines and clog things up (once it stops clogging filters though, your system is a lot cleaner!). Additionally, very old rubber (the dried cracked kind that probably needs to be replaced) can be affected by biodiesel. It sounds like you pretty much got to check all the boxes. If your filters have stopped clogging and your rubber lines are all replaced, as long as you run a seasonally appropriate mix you should be fine with the biodiesel going forward. It sounds like things are already fixed and done, but I thought that bore clearing up.

rodman68

You might have something there but I think its not really the engine because my 7.3 idi uses the same type of rotary injection pump as the 6.2, and a mechanical lift pump. The differences I think would be the filter housing and how much fuel returns to the tank I ran across a posting that mentioned that the majority of the fuel that the 7.3 idi lift pump is sent back to the tank. This helps keep the fuel in the tank warmer around the suction tube how much fuel returns to the tank on the 6.2 I do not know. This issue is all my fault I believe just didnt get enough diesel in there before the weather turned and what I can tell that this 6.2 likes a hgher diesel mix.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you have saved in a year, isn't worth it to me.

rodman68

Spectre6000 do you have any information on the CFPP testing information done based on mixed diesel #2 and Diesel #1? So on this issue used my electric to pump out 20 gallons of fuel, and the fuel looked good. Truck was inside garage with a electric heater by the fuel tank all night. The tank was pretty well full so I am figureing about 5-6 gallons left I added a bottle of 911 and put in 15 gallons of #2. I am working on the tailshaft seal at this time and every once in a while i shake the backend of the m1009 to mix the fuel. I am going to pull some fuel thru the lines up to the fuel pump to clear them out with the new mix. After that I will push the rest thru the filter when I bleed the system.

spectre6000

The CFPP is feedstock dependent. Longer chain fatty acids result in a higher CFPP. It should come pre-blended for the season from the distributor though. If you're making it yourself (note, WVO is NOT biodiesel), you'll have to figure it out yourself... Sorry I can't be of more help there.

rodman68

Feedstock is soybean oil, I make it myself and it was worth asking if you had any information. I found some information but thinking I should try some testing on my own and see if it matches those findings.

spectre6000

It's been several years, and we didn't use soybean oil at all in the refinery. I want to say CFPP for neat biodiesel from soybean oil was somewhere (mid-upper?) 40°s, but that's a borderline WAG. I'm sure you can find it. Soybean oil was, and may still be, a common feedstock and I'm sure the CFPP is all over the interwebs.

Barrman

The 6.2 returns a lot of fuel to the tank at idle. How much is a lot? I have never measured it, but when running engines in a can. I have a fuel supply hose and a return hose. The return hose has a steady stream coming out of it. Same on my M715. I can see the return going into the fuel tank if I pull the cap. Very steady flow at idle. I have never measured it though.

I think the original problem in this thread probably started by his fuel getting caught with the wrong mix in cold weather, his filters clogged and then he has been chasing his tail ever since. Many people have written about how they added a clean diesel tank for cold start ups, then swap over to some form of alternate fuel once everything is warm. Some even have heated tanks for the alternate fuel. It is your truck, run it as you wish.

I got caught this year with too much WMO in my whistler M35. We haven't been above 50° her for almost 2 weeks. That normally doesn't happen except in January. I haven't even tried starting it up. I know the feeling in other words.

rodman68

You are correct this issue was all my fault not the vehicle. But I have learned alot from this issue people say to keep some room in the tank if you are using a one tank system and you can put a large amount of diesel in it if and when the temp drops drastically. On the amount of fuel returning to the tank was just A thought I had and one would think it would be the same between the two engines. I have about maybe 15% of biodiesel in the tank rest mixed with #2 and some 911 treatment, and she started up today let her idle until she smoothed out. Found a loose power steering belt and then going to find and fix other issues while its in the garage.

rodman68

spectre6000- Searches vary quite a bit for the cfpp of soybean biodiesel and those are from 25 to 32 degrees f, but I am getting cfpp mixed with cp. I will try and do some testing put some in the fridge that is at 40 and go from there.

rodman68

Update well its on the road again but noticed the second start today after it sat for a couple hours the idle was lo and sluggish for a minute or two then all is ok. Hopefully just trying to get all the air out of the system we will see tomorrow.