• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 or regular blazer?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Navy uses stuff like this pretty regularly. Is there a better pic of the engine bay? I sure don't see that second alternator that was mentioned. All in all, pretty cool truck. Has some history I bet.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
No, the guy texted me the wrong engine pictures last week, hence why I went to go look at it in person before committing to buying it. Then engine bay actually looks good (to me), far better than the rockers and floor area :)

Is it legal to re paint on the US NAVY text and other numbers on the sides? Would be nice for it to look like when it was first made rather than kinda like it.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a unique set of wheels! I LIKE IT :smile: It may not be a true M1009, but it's nice! Yes, It's legal to paint US NAVY on the side with the registration numbers. My M1009 has US NAVY EOD stenciled on the doors. I've never been pulled over for the stenciling. I also live in Central FL but I've never touched a welder in my life :sad:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Good to know, now I need to find out what the color was when the navy had it. The interior is original dark green (the metal parts). Going to take lots of pics so I can try to stencil it correctly later. Do the 24 volt radios show up for sale often? I saw none in the usual places.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man you keep teasing us. !!!

STOP it and post some more pics......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. You know we like oddball stuff.

I think for your $400 purchase you have a great base to build a clone.

Who says you have to have a CUCV with all the issues that comes with it. Yours is more scarce and unique.

You have the exact same truck but in 12v fashion. Alot of guys will convert thier trucks to be like yours.

95% of the Tech Manual still applies, you just don't have the 24v stuff to worry about. The wiring is simpler but you don't have any diagrams. Some of the CUCV diagrams should work for your.

Contact 82ABNMP about the glue in panels. He has used them with great success.

NOW POST SOME PICTURES

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man you keep teasing us. !!!

STOP it and post some more pics......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. You know we like oddball stuff.

I think for your $400 purchase you have a great base to build a clone.

Who says you have to have a CUCV with all the issues that comes with it. Yours is more scarce and unique.

You have the exact same truck but in 12v fashion. Alot of guys will convert thier trucks to be like yours.

95% of the Tech Manual still applies, you just don't have the 24v stuff to worry about. The wiring is simpler but you don't have any diagrams. Some of the CUCV diagrams should work for your.

Contact 82ABNMP about the glue in panels. He has used them with great success.

NOW POST SOME PICTURES
Just go to the local auto parts store and get a Haynes manual for about $15 , they have wiring diagrams in them.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a complete set of GM factory service manuals for the civilian light duty trucks on a CD from Bishko Automotive. I think it cost me $30. I use the factory manuals with the mil TM's when I work on my CUCV.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
That other truck is a lot like mine, thanks for the link. I will get more pictures as this project progresses. Next up is to get the batteries charged and cable replaced so I can listen to it run. I want to take off the rattle can paint so I can see the original stenciling better (so I can recreate it when I paint it). Is it normal for the charge indicator to show low while the glow plugs are on then bump up to the middle once they time out?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just go to the local auto parts store and get a Haynes manual for about $15 , they have wiring diagrams in them.
What???? Pay $15 for a manual. That just crazy!!!:shock:

Not really. I have never liked the wiring diagrams in the Haynes or Chilton manuals.

ryan77

Its just a stripped down civi blazer ordered for gov contracts, Fish wild life, USDA, and other gov entities!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. You can't play in OUR sandbox......

Your truck has the "C" code civvy engine. You need to have the "J" code to play here...;-)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
What!? I already started pulling the motor...

But seriously, does that NSN mean it is a 1988 CUCV less all the 24v TH400 stuff? I don't want to call the Navy a liar lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks