• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 or regular blazer?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it to me. Since the CUCV contract expired, the Military (Navy) continued using the NSN to the later years.

I have a 1988 new body style 1-ton that was used by the SeaBees. It has the NSN of the M1008 but doesn't have any of the 24v stuff except the inverter like yours.

Attachments

Last edited:

forest522

The cool thing here is that we are learning of another cousin CUCV mystery out there. You might say this rig is even more unique than other CUCVs. Good find sir! $400?! Can't lose on this one!:beer:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yep, I will start the build thread soon. It has rust, so I will learn to MIG or find an affordable place to weld for me. I intend to fix it the right way.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mig maybe.

Flux core wire feed start around $100 for a light duty.

wayne pick

Just got off line at harbor freight, 90 amp flux wire welder, SKU 68887 on sale $109. reg $140. Can't beat that for light duty work! You don't need an expensive Miller or Lincoln welder to do that kind of repair, They would cost thousands.

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Just got off line at harbor freight, 90 amp flux wire welder, SKU 68887 on sale $109. reg $140. Can't beat that for light duty work!
Yep. I found it for 89.00 if you buy a coupon off ebay. Coupons look to cost 1-2 dollars.

I had a federal 6.2 diesel that looked military but was not, it looked a lot like that and was for the Feds to use. It had the commercial Blazer logos, it was not military , it just looked close.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Update:

I went for a long rive in the truck (2 hours), some of the highlights:
* Remember all the positives add up when compared to the rust I will need to fix up

No leaks (Oil, trans, axles)
Starts right up
Seems to make good power (In light of how the 6.2 is described)
Trans shifts well
Temp stays below 200
Charging
Oil pressure was at 70 when started and went down to 50-55 after warmed up
4x4 high and low work
Cigarette lighter works (important as I used little compressor to air up tires)
Wipers, turn signals, horn all work
I turned it lock to lock and although the power steering works well it whined a little at either extreme (maybe time to change fluid and make sure its topped off)
Vents blow hot or ambient hah
Lights all work

It was interesting, all new filters, coolant is a nice rich hulk green and oil looks good. 78K might be accurate since the speedo/odometer works

Couple of questions for the day:

If I rev it a little while parked I see a little black smoke (not lots). Is this ok? When driving I saw none

I trickle charged the batteries for 3 days now and they seem a little stronger but will not turn it fast enough all by themselves. I still have to jump it to get it to start. Does it sound like time for new batteries or is there a way to test the starter? Both batteries show 12volts on the meter.

Overall, still very happy with it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have Harbor Freight in your area?

If so buy a Battery Load Tester and check you batteries. Should run about $30. It is a 100amp and will do fine for what you want to do. I have one and use it ALL the time. With so many batteries to check it is a life saver.

Or just take your batteries to the local parts house and have them test them.

The black smoke is unburnt fuel. Drive the truck some more and it might clear up.

I think you have found yourself a great truck and will be happy with it. It has the bells and whistles that most of the CUCV owners want. Especially the cigerette lighter. :beer:

Oh yeah....Your killing us with the lack of PICTURES

nopics

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I do and will get one. I checked and it has non serviceable batteries (was hoping just to add water). On a good note if it needs a starter it is 12 volts :)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Ordered, thanks. That will save pulling the starter. It has manual front hubs, is that desirable or not? I thought it was as they don't fail, but obviously you have to get out to engage.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SandBar:

Sounds to me like you got a lot of truck for a small pile of $$ ! I'm happy for you! :smile:
There's a Harbor Freight on the northeast corner of 436 (Semoran Blvd) and Howell Branch Rd in Casselberry.

Did you swap the fuel filter also?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks, I usually go to the Sarasota HF (50 minutes away). I have not yet swapped the fuel filter but I am sure I need to.

I just pulled the RPO codes out of the glove compartments (I think that's what they are called on these too). Pic of them below. They are hard to read in the pictures, I may go out and manually transcribe them. Good to get all these details recorded since I plan to re -paint and clean it up soon and do not want to lose that bit if history.

Took the kids for a ride in it yesterday and they loved it. It has that old classic car smell like my 66 mustang did and it drives on the shell roads out here better than the Yukon. Lots to do, if anyone in Central FL ever wants to have a "work on your CUCV" day let me know, have plenty of room out here.

UPDATE

I looked up all the RPO codes, a few oddball ones in there:

AM7 SEAT, RR, FLDG
AV5 SEAT, FRT BKT, HIGH BACK
BY1 ORNAMENTATION, EXTR EMBLEM, BODY, VAR 3
B3J EQUIPMENT DIESEL
CMD PLANT CODE, FLINT MI
C5P GVW RATING, 6250 LBS
D1U GEAR, SPEEDO DRIVEN
D44 MIRROR O/S, PAINTED
E5Z SPEEDOMETER ADAPTER (DELETE)
E6C COUNTRY GAMBIA ?
E9Z SPEEDOMETER KEY (DELETE)
FLT SALES PROCESSING OPTION ?
GU6 AXLE REAR 3.42 RATIO
G80 POSITRACTION LIMITED SLIP
JD5 BRAKE DUAL POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6,400 LBS
K81 GENERATOR 66 AMP
LH6 ENGINE, DIESEL, 8 CYL, 6.2L
MD8 TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, THM 700 R4
MXO MERCHANDISED, TRANS, AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D
NA5 EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER O
Q1F PROGRAM ACTIVITY PKG B, STRETCH THE LEAD ?
TCP HANDLING CHARGE FLINT ASM TO F.J. JURSIK CO
TFD INCENTIVE RETAIL AMENITIES - DELETE
TGK COLOR COMBINATION SOLID, SPECIAL PAINT
UL5 RADIO - DELETE
V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA
XES TIRE FRONT P235/75R15-105S BW R/PE ST TL OOR
YD3 (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE
YD5 G FRONT BASE EQUIPMENT
YD6 G RR, BASE EQUIPMENT
YES TIRE REAR P235/75R15-105S BW R/PE ST TL OOR
ZES TIRE SPARE P235/75R15-105S BW R/PE ST TL OOR
ZW9 BODY EQUIPMENT BASE BODY OR CHASSIS
01U PRIMARY COLOR, EXTERIOR, SPECIAL, (91)
12K AUX TOP COLOR WHITE (91)
60I INTERIOR TRIM, MED COGNAC (91)
60W TRIM COMBINATION, VINYL, LT SADDLE (W)
WE7944 ? This is at the lower left

So a few interesting ones like E6C. Good thing is it looks to have a gov lock :)

Is Cognac the red CUCV color or the tan color? It has one red seat and tan for the other two.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks