• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Planning Oct. 10 Recovery from VA to IN

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm finally getting another MV (I've been without for the last year). I'm flying in to pick it up in northern VA and then driving it back to the Indianpolis area. Most of the trip will be along I-70, and the truck will be registered/insured before the trip. Here are some pictures and info on the M1009 CUCV I'm getting:

M1009-2.jpgM1009-3.jpg

It has around 45,000 miles on it, and was daily driven for the last 5000+ miles until a few months ago when parked. Mods include 1-ton axles w/ 4.56 (detroit rear, limited slip front), 4" ORD lift with crossover and high steer, recentered Hummer wheels/beadlocks/37's, softop, and some basic repairs such as new radiator/hoses/belts/fuel pump/spin-on filter/etc. It's supposed to be a great running and driving truck.

At first I'd thought I'd fly in with just a carry on and buy some basic tools/essential after arrival, but I've decided to pack a basic tool kit instead in a checked luggage bag. I'm trying to put together the bare essentials lightweight tool pack. So far here is what I'm thinking:

Multimeter, fuses, wrenches (standard, metric, or both?), screwdrivers, pliers (various kinds), tire iron, duct tape, electrical tape, some wire, hose clamps, fuel line, and ??? I'm trying to keep it small, simple, and lightweight. My biggest concern will be not having a jack (it does have a full size spare tire). I don't think it would be easy to pack one.

Any thoughts? Any body live somewhat close to that part of I-70 in case I have issues along the way?

Thanks.

jdknech

Looks sharp! Can't wait to see it at the June haspin rally ;) lol. You will need both SAE and metro tools unfortunately.. The CUCV's are a hodgepodge of both.
Don't take any sealants or aerosols in your baggage.. They are considered HAZMAT and if TSA finds it they will remove them (if your lucky) and could fine you many thousands of dollars (if your unlucky)
As for a jack just pick up a cheap bottle jack at Walmart after your there.. (Shouldn't be over $15-$20)
Good luck man! It was good seeing you yesterday. -josh

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Josh! My DD Jeep did OK at the rally (almost made one of the Dave's roll his M1009 twice while following me) but it's just not the same as a CUCV!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have some basic but heavy tools, consider the flat rate USPS boxes and send some ahead. I did that with a towbar once while recovering 2 deuces in TN.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea with the flat rate mail. I just talked to the seller and there are several options to buy a jack on site (tractor supply, autozone, walmart). I forgot a few important items for my list: jumper cables, tire gauge, wire cutters/strippers, knife. I think with that list I should be able to keep under any crazy weight charges at the airport.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go with a basic bottle jack, grab some cribbing or a chunk of 6x6. It sure makes a difference if you need to change a flat with the limited stroke of the bottle jack. I drive the flat up on cribbing any time I have to change a flat.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a little shopping and picked up some inexpensive travel tools:
IMG_0757.jpg

Then I opened up my Jeep gear bag (stuff I always carry with me) and supplemented a few things for the travel kit:
IMG_0758.jpgIMG_0759.jpgIMG_0760.jpg

Then I tested out the bag to see if everything would fit. Well, almost everything...
IMG_0762.jpg

It makes for a nice compact kit that I shouldn't have too much trouble fitting it in my small checked suitcase. Hopefully it isn't molested too much by the workers when loaded up. I thought about locking it, but I haven't heard great luck with the TSA locks. Just kind of gives them a reason to unlock and see why you felt the need to lock the bag. I've intentionally avoided packing any liquids, don't know if that matters or not for a checked bag. Don't have a bunch invested in the tools but I will be very inconvienienced if they are MIA upon arrival.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVLOVER - I already bought the ticket. I'm not taking any time off work so I'm flying out after work Friday night and driving it home Saturday, with Sunday being my buffer if needed.

JDKNECH - I might do the shipping thing. Then I could just go carry-on and the cost to ship would probably be the same as the bag checking.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and encouragement.

BnaditCorps

CUCVLOVER - I already bought the ticket. I'm not taking any time off work so I'm flying out after work Friday night and driving it home Saturday, with Sunday being my buffer if needed.

JDKNECH - I might do the shipping thing. Then I could just go carry-on and the cost to ship would probably be the same as the bag checking.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and encouragement.
plus if you ship you can send things that are not allowed on the plane

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The soft top is a Softopper brand. I think they run about $1200 (a lot more expensive than just using muscle and removing the fiberglass top on occasion).

Everything is set for me to fly out tomorrow night and pick up the truck Saturday. I will take some pictures along the way. I'm really looking forward to the little getaway and will enjoy all the fall foliage on the way back. Hoping for an uneventful trip otherwise.

alpine44

The soft top is a Softopper brand. I think they run about $1200 (a lot more expensive than just using muscle and removing the fiberglass top on occasion).

Everything is set for me to fly out tomorrow night and pick up the truck Saturday. I will take some pictures along the way. I'm really looking forward to the little getaway and will enjoy all the fall foliage on the way back. Hoping for an uneventful trip otherwise.
Thanks for the info.

I will pick up my first M1009 in SFO on Saturday as well. Depending on how it runs we will do some light trails in Utah on the way back to Montana. Should be spectacular this time of the year.

Have fun going in the opposite direction. If you start far enough South, take the Blue Ridge Parkway if you can. If you start further North, consider taking some backroads in WV. The remaining drive on I-70 is nothing to write home about. The Airforce Museum in Dayton, OH is nice though and may be a convenient break.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks