• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Planning Oct. 10 Recovery from VA to IN

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaving Wednesday From Indy to St Louis to pick up my new M1009 loading mine on a trailer and hauling back the same day.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, glad to hear you're getting a CUCV too! Give you something smaller to chase down broken dog bones with...

I'm just waiting on my meet-up this AM. Should hit the road in my new ride in a few hours.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck. I'm too far south to assist, but best wishes! Guess the TSA didn't screw with you too much?!

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shake down run to Charles Town went well. Will visit with my buddy for a bit then head out for the long haul.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took i68 thru MD, WV. Heading up to Pittsburg now. So far so good other than an oil leak on the front driveshaft.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Godspeedn on your trip Sir. Should be very familiar with the truck by the time you arrive.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some PICS!

Some pictures from when I picked up the truck Saturday morning. Truck had a little more rust than hoped, but not a rust bucket and came with what appears to be all of the patch panels I would need to make it perfect.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the sales transaction I hit the local TSC and purchsed a bottle-neck jack and a few fluids. Fuel gauge said I had a full tank but I went ahead and tried to put fuel in it to make sure. Gauge wasn't lying. Began with shake-down run from Leesburg VA to Charles Town WV. Went well other than all of the sheet metal parts clanging on each other driving me insane. Ended up adding 1 quart of oil to engine and 1 qt of transmission fluid after picking up the truck. I think the transmission fluid was fine, I just had trouble reading the dipstick. Now I need to get a quart out eventually...

Picture of me arriving into the valley where Charles Town WV is:
IMG_0776.jpg

This is a picture of me trying to show where the speedometer vs. tachometer read at. I don't trust the readings of either unit and mainly drove by feel (I was slower than everyone else anyway):
IMG_0778.jpgIMG_0777.jpg

It's hard to read in the pictures but basically when the speedo said 75mph the tach said 1800rpm. I think they are both way off.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Road trip scenery

Some pictures of going through the rocky gap at WV-MD border and some pretty hill country on I-68 through the same states. Passed through VA, WV, MD, WV again, PA, WV again, then OH and IN. Pretty wine country in spots, lots of autumn foliage. Their was some lake I passed over before turning north on I-79 that I didn't get a picture of but it was gorgeous enough it made me want a boat!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't blame you for trusting either speedo or tach. I'm more comfy with GPS and calculating RPMs with common math. I have a little more faith in a cable drive tach.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't have time to take any cool pictures you might actually do on a relaxed road trip. Sorry.

I was able to check my luggage and get all of my tools through the airport that way fine. After all of that trouble the only tools I used were my tire gauge, a flashlight to help keep an eye on fluids during the night portion, and my pocketknife to cut some venison summer sausage that my WV buddy gave me :)

Truck had a lot of oil sitting on the front driveshaft during my stops, but it didn't appear to come from the engine. I think the front driveshaft seal is leaking, probably from the last mudding trip the truck had (I found mud in various places). I hate how mud tears up seals. Other than that the fluids held fine for the duration of the trip.

Truck runs awesome and had no trouble keeping speed (what little speed I had) on the steep hill climbs during the trip. After the first two hills the load on the engine seemed to clean some stuff out and it ran even better.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck drove really well except for a major tire balance issue. The tires are 37x12.5r16.5 Treadwright Guard Dogs (military carcases retreaded). They either aren't round or aren't balanced (have balancing beads inside). They wheels came straight from Trail Worthy Fab so I'm hoping its the tires not the wheels. Don't really want to replace them right now (too expensive) but if I ever take another crazy road trip in the M1009 new tires should go on first. Tires had some age and some cracking in the sidewall that worried me, but made it home fine.

This completes my trip report!

Last edited:

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi just reading your post. Glad you made it home OK. I just got my 1986 M1009 2 weeks ago. It runs pretty well but I have lots to learn about them. Took it 4 wheeling and seems like they will almost climb a brick wall lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks