• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 recovery with disastorous result

ryan77

Well this really tough for me to talk about but i need to get it off my chest... Me and my 5 year son picked up my m1009 from Ft riley on Tues and were driving back to ILL i was towing it with a towbar. Everything was going great untill i was on 80 east near Grinell Iowa in the left lane going around 55-60 when some one got on 80 from the Grinell on ramp flew across both lanes and cut me off i hit the breaks rear ended him and i rolled my van and the m1009 i was towing. The person that i hit and caused it drove away from the scene. Both Blazer and my 2006 chevy van are totaled. We were take to Grinel hospital and then University of Iowa medical center i have a fracture in my neck a busted lip and a 5" gash my 5 year old son didnt even have a scratch thank god. Seat belts save lives. I usually never wear a seat belt but that day I was, if i wasnt i would be dead. My thanks to the Army Major that was behind me and helped me get my son out of the van I dont know your name i hope you read this thank you for helping me and my son.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, glad you two were not hurt worse! Keep us posted and remember, the vehicles can be replaced. Sorry you had such a crappy day. Your words will echo in my head for some time.(no jokes needed):D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank God your son and yourself are in good shape. Any witnesses? Your stuff can be fixed or replaced, you and your kiddo not so much.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad you guys are alive to talk about it. Sheet metal can be pounded out or replaced. Had to be witnesses, just hope they are decent enough to sound off. It just sucks that people like the one that caused this exist. Probably a drunk. Most insurance companies cover the occasional towed load, lets hope yours does.

mikeroot2

The important thing is you two are relatively OK. My wife and son were in a roll over accident in our 2006 GTO. They hydroplaned and bounced off a tree. If my son was in the back seat we would have lost him. Wife let him ride up front(we NEVER do that). The bad thing was that myself and our youngest were in my pickup right in front of them. I watched their headlights disappear. They were on the roof in a flooded front yard when I pried the door open to get them out. My wife broke her collar bone and needed surgery. My son thankfully had only a few splinters from the tree they hit in his face. It makes you sit back and appreciate life and family a little more.

You will recover and the trucks can be replaced. I am glad you guys are alright!

Attachments

ryan77

There were witnesses 4 on record with the state police in iowa the guy or gal got away no one got a plate number, it happened so fast i dont know what to say. I appreciated how nice the state police were in Iowa, paramedic and the hospital staff they were so good to me and my son. They gave my son a hospital clip board, recovered his stuffed dog from the mangled van and gave him enough snacks to last a year. Insurance will pay for the van, and hopefully the blazer. Heres some pics

Attachments

ryan77

The important thing is you two are relatively OK. My wife and son were in a roll over accident in our 2006 GTO. They hydroplaned and bounced off a tree. If my son was in the back seat we would have lost him. Wife let him ride up front(we NEVER do that). The bad thing was that myself and our youngest were in my pickup right in front of them. I watched their headlights disappear. They were on the roof in a flooded front yard when I pried the door open to get them out. My wife broke her collar bone and needed surgery. My son thankfully had only a few splinters from the tree they hit in his face. It makes you sit back and appreciate life and family a little more.

You will recover and the trucks can be replaced. I am glad you guys are alright!
I agree life is precious and short.. Glad your wife and son is good.

Boreal21

Close call! I'm really glad the two of you made it out relatively unharmed.

I know when I bought my truck it was automatically covered by insurance for ~30 days or something. I wonder if they would take into account EUC time in that. I sure hope not and it would only make sense that they would go off the date of your "Paid In Full" invoice that's issued after your EUC is approved.

Take it easy and get better! :beer:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are other Blazers out there. Your injuries will heal and, as you said, thankfully your son is fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks