• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 recovery with disastorous result

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ryan, I am glad you and your son are ok. How bad is the fracture in your neck? Do the Doctors think it will create any long term problems for you?

I assume you have some amount of time of recovery/rehabilitation-I hope your employer is being good about it.

citizensoldier

Whew! That could of ended in a much worse way! Glad your ok and your son is not hurt. [thumbzup] I can't believe some people! How can you drive away with that in your rear view mirror? I hope they catch the guy maybe a ramp camera down the road or someone noticed the smashed rear when they got off the E-way.. A fast and full recovery to you and your son..

stump

This happens all too often. Alot of the drivers that flee are driving with no licence stolen tags and no insurenance. When they have a acident they jump and run and dont care who is hurt or worse. Glad to hear your going to be ok and my best to your son. For the person that caused the acident and drove off if found they should lock him up and throw away the key. Then have a prison gard tell everyone that he likes kids. Some people are too bad to just kill they need to suffer.

linx310

Could they have been trying to commit some type of fraud? I have heard of people doing this to commercial van drivers. They pull in front of them and then slam on the brakes. When you hit them they sue you for injuries.

Perhaps when the driver saw your van flip it spooked them off....

BTW what type of vehicle was it? Maybe a few SS members in that area can keep an eye out for a vehicle with that description at a body shop.

Last edited:

cucvcan

Wow what a story. From the look on your sons face, I'll say you'll be going after another CUCV.......When your ready.
Good luck going forward.

ryan77

Yes i will get another cucv maybe a m1028 or 1009 or a blazer, I guess its a fracture in my 5 th something in my neck very common with car accidents, Im going to illinois bone and joint on tuesday to see a spine doctor but the other doctor in Iowa said i probley will have to wear this neck brace for 4 - 6 weeks.

markmontana

Yes i will get another cucv maybe a m1028 or 1009 or a blazer, I guess its a fracture in my 5 th something in my neck very common with car accidents, Im going to illinois bone and joint on tuesday to see a spine doctor but the other doctor in Iowa said i probley will have to wear this neck brace for 4 - 6 weeks.
Just so you don't get bummed out- I broke my C-5 (and C4) vertebrae many years ago- it was a bummer for a while, but now it's hardly noticeable, and it's never slowed or stopped me from doing anything I want. So hang tight and take lots of vitamin I.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost did the same thing in my 2006 GTO. Running along and hit a sudden cloudburst. Before I could get it slowed down, the rears lifted, and she started to go around. Only thing thing that saved me was a wide 4 lane highway, and the fact she started left instead of right. I drive a lot slower in rain now.

NEIOWA

There are 35ea 2320011232665 TRUCK,UTILITY listed at Ft McCoy. As no one is going to reuse the POS for FEPP or FFP likely all will show up govliq in Sept/Oct time frame.

Actually there are some 200 listed at present. (And a lot of CUCV pickups). DOD evidently is finally dumping the things in mass. Should have happened years ago.

Crash_AF

Glad you and your son are ok. Just out of curiosity, how did the towbar fare in the accident? I've always wondered what would happen in your exact circumstances.

Actually there are some 200 listed at present. (And a lot of CUCV pickups). DOD evidently is finally dumping the things in mass. Should have happened years ago.
I disagree, in part, with your statement mostly because of what they replace the CUCV with after it's gone. HMMWVs are not nearly as efficient as a CUCV both in maintenance costs or economy of operation. Yes, the '80s Chevys should be retired because they have reached the end of their serviceable life to the military, but I firmly believe that competitive contract bidding for a CUCV replacement should have been done in the late '90s and there should be more CUCV-IIs or Dodge/Ford equivalents in service now.

Sorry for the thread-jack...

Later,
Joe

mistaken1

Glad to hear you are both okay.

I had a kid try something similar to me, he thought it would be funny to serve into me because I did not move out of his way fast enough (came flying up behind me as I was in the left lane passing another vehicle). Luckily I had room to swerve to avoid contact so I whipped out the cell phone to call 911.

I sped up to get his license number and backed off one I got it meanwhile he went racing down the road and caused an accident just like yours with another vehicle farther up the road and drove off. But I had reported his license number.

The detective who took my statement let me know they caught the kid who had been driving his girlfriends parents car. The large round tattoo on his arm made positive identification of the driver easy for the police.

ryan77

The towbar and grade8 chains tore in pieces like tooth picks, From the shear force, I think the next one i will jump start and drive home im not up to towing for a while,,,,,,,,,,,,

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RYAN, Like everyone says, good you and your son are OK.

Don't let the insurance TAKE the M1009. They will generally offer you whatever you paid, but will sell it back to you as a salvage title vehicle for pennies on the dollar. THAT'S YOUR PARTS TRUCK. Plus a pretty good reminder about IDIOTS behind the wheel.

But if you ARE going to get almost any 80's era CUCV, those parts are well worth what ever you have to give for them, up to about $300 (max).

Again, good to see you and yours are OK.

Say, what did your SON say about the accident? Kids have a different perspective and can give us adults some pretty good insight, when we ask them.

ryan77

My son has been really good he really is not even bothered by it. He just wants to go back on a military base and get another one. All he talks about is the soldiers he saw at Ft Riley and how he wants to be in the Army when he grows up. Im going to try and get it as a parts truck well see how that goes.

davidkroberts

trucks and vans can be replaced people cant. im more thankful than you can know you both walked away. they sell surplus everyday. somethings cant be replaced

dmetalmiki

sorry to hear that

typed a 400 word story here and clicked submit..and YES you guessed, it dissapeared into the ether..and the dreaded "you do not have the authority" message came up yet again! and "you are not logged in" click back and..suprise suprise..I am (apearing) as logged in. frustrating as it keeps happening. can't type all that again might re=do over the weekend. but..again repeat that glad you both will be doing things ex-mil real soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks