• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 shut off like ran out of fuel

91W350

Timing Chain is where I was headed when I asked about the sound of it cranking. You should have been banging at least on starting fluid. I never use the stuff on any modern diesel, and especially not on glow plugs or plenum heaters. When the timing chain breaks, frequently it will sound like it has compression on on cylinder. It also stops the IP from pumping or distributing fuel. It could be the drive for the IP or more serious damage, like a broken crankshaft. The guys are giving you good advice on watching to see if that timing gear is turning.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Another even easier way, if you have a vac gauge, attach to the vacuum pump hose, crank engine, no vac, = no cam rotation, no run. . .

disclaimer: unless your vacuum pump is bad. . . ;)

Last edited:

joho

Looks like the timing chain broke because nothing moves when looking in the oil fill tube hole and cranking it over. Now what? none of the local garages will fix it.

Ken_86gt

The local garage does not want to because it may turn into more than the timing chain, and they don't want to use up the floor space waiting on decisions and parts....If the chain broke you will probably also at least need the timing cover as well. This is probably a fix that you could do. If not, you will need a new motor.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think there'd be at least a shade tree mechanic in your area that would replace a timing chain. It's not that hard of an operation but the majority of the time would probably be spent in teardown and reinstall. This leaves it sitting for a while unless the guy is willing to make a day of it. Swapping an engine is a lot more headache than a timing chain.

joho

This is alittle to much for me. I will try to sell it, it is a rust free truck with alot of new parts in nice shape, it even has the vinyl troop cover on it, maybe I can get $1000 for it or best offer. I don't know. Thanks for all your help. It really did help me.

3dubs

Do not freak out about a timing chain. If it just stopped and you did not hear anything things are good. I had an engine do the same thing. When it breaks the valves stop moving but the pistons keep going and can hit the valves causing damage. But you usually hear them hit. It is a metal hitting metal sound. If it knocks the valve out it would drop into the cylinder and you would know that it would be very loud. But you have hydraulic lifters that give if the valve is pushed lightly giving you a a margin of safety. Shops worry about all the really bad things. Take the fan off, pull the fan shroud off, and then you will have room to change the timing chain. I did it living in an apartment complex putting all the parts in the car so they did not know I was even working on it. Line everything up and put a new chain and most likely the sprockets. But since since you do not say you hear anything hitting when you turn it over life is good.

91W350

If you were closer, I would be glad to help you with it. It is a pretty simple and straight forward process. The toughest part is pulling the balancer and putting it back on. The cam and crank gears have alignment marks to aid you in getting it back together. GM used to be horrible about using a nylon coated gear on the cam to help keep engine noise down. Those of us who were doing mechanic work in the 60's and 70's got lots of GM timing gear-chain replacement experience. A lot of guys do it with the radiator in the truck. I like to pull the radiator for more room. It would be my luck to poke a hole in a perfectly good radiator core. Same goes for buying the truck, it is just a long haul for me to go get a dead horse. Glen

kentuckycucv

joho Did you LOOK down the oil fill tube or REMOVE the tube assembly to view the timing gear>>> Because I read your post and I thought you said "looking in the oil fill tube hole"

You have to remove the tube off the engine...then look. Im not trying to be a smart ass, im a little mechanically challenged at times and these guys have helped me a lot. I think it would be a shame to throw in the towel at this point. sounds like an easy fix and you have a nice truck.

Buckmaw

Check for voltage at pink lead on fuel injector pump fuel shutoff solenoid while
assistant cranks engine. There should be at least 9 volts.
If voltage is not correct, trace circuit. (See wiring diagram E-3 or E-5)
If voltage is correct, perform step 2.
Disconnect pink lead from fuel injector pump fuel shutoff solenoid. Turn key to
“RUN” position, Touch pink lead to fuel injector pump terminal and listen for
clicking sound.
If clicking sound is not heard, remove governor cover. (See paragraph 3-38)
Connect 12 volt power source to shutoff solenoid terminal and ground.
Observe solenoid plunger for freedom of movement. Clean or replace
solenoid if plunger sticks.
If clicking sound is heard, perform step 3.

TM 9-2320-289-34
Table 2-1. Mechanical Troubleshooting

lavarok

Check the check valve in the Ip return line. I just had a similar problem. I punched out the glass insert in mine and it solved my problem. Of course, now I need a new check valve but at least my truck is running.

85-m1028

broken crank is a more common occurance than a timing chain. this is usually due to a harmonic balancer with bad rubber.

you could pull the glow plugs and check if the pistons are all pushing out air when you crank it.

these motors can be purchased cheap as good used take outs from the hmmwv's. I see them on e-bay all the time!!

I think a motor could be unbolted and pulled in a day. and another day to drop in a good working unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks