• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 slant back top

99dodge1500

Does anyone know where I can get a slant back canvas top for my M1009? I think they make one at least. What I would like to do is make one out of fiberglass.:p:grin:

AJMBLAZER

You might want to check and see if that company even exists anymore. Notice the webpage is dated 2006.

There have been a few companies that made soft tops for these trucks but it seems like none ever lasts long. Bestop stopped making them for the fullsizes years ago, Kayline went out of business, whoever took over Kayline's products did as well (I think that was those guys in the link), and last we heard the rights and designs were sorta in limbo as no one could make them profitably.

maritimer

just get a spare fiberglass regular top some resin/hardener and some fiberglass matting * boat shops i find are cheapest* and cut regular topper to your desire and fab one up yourself

AJMBLAZER

If I recall correctly the fiberglass top is a two layer design. In other words it's a bit more complex than your average fishing boat hull. Unless someone knows what they're doing they're going to end up with a big mess and needing another top. Not to mention it'd be heavy as **** too.

Not saying it can't be done but fiberglassing requires a certain skill set and fiberglassing a structure like I believe these have is even more complex.

powerhouseduece

I would rather use canvas. Make it a soft top, any trim shop-boat cover shop can do it. The trick is getting the canvas. Might have to cut up a duece cargo cover.

99dodge1500

That is way to expensive there is a upholstery near where I live and could get a canvas top there made for under $600. I thought about doing the fiberglass my self but I don't have the time and I want it to be light as possible. If I did the fiberglass, I wanted to make it a slant-back with a huge plexi-glass window in the slant.

Anubis8472

Has anyone done one?

Would look great with a single 'brace' in the center to give it a hmmwv style look.

Using a scrap top would certainly be step one, if nothing less at least for the section that bolts to the back of the cab. Trimming it so it has a one inch 'overhang' to prevent wind/water penetration.
I've seen a couple photos with just a peice of canvas (no framing) snapped all the way around. Doesn't look to bad, but I think tie-downs would look more MV then snaps.

Dying to take the top off come spring, but I need something for rainy days .... or maybe just some webbed seats ...

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My plan is for a roll bar over the back passenger seat. Then my local boat canvas guy is going to make a canvas top out of sunbrella that snaps to the metal roof and goes back over the roll bar and slants down to the back. The idea is snaps all around and the roll bar allows for passengers in the back and a few snaps and you can open the tail gate. The back will also have some zippers up to the roll bar so you can roll the back up and snap in place for driving around in the summer.

I can picture in my mind but this is farther down the project list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks