• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starting problems

L.Gaston

Hello all. I have looked for a topic similar to this, but could not find one. I am having trouble with my M1009. It turns over just fine, but only smokes. It won't fire on its own. A tiny shot of ether seems to prime the engine and get it running just fine. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions of where to look. We checked the glow plugs with a volt meter, and they work just fine. We are thinking it could be the injectors...
Thanks for you help.
Lincoln

Blood_of_Tyrants

If it runs fine, then it isn't the injectors. First, check the resistance of each injector to ground. I think that it should be a few ohms. No more than 7 or 8 ohms. If that checks good, check the voltage at the glow plug relay when the light says "WAIT", and it should be about 12.5 volts. If that checks good, then I don't know, but I'll bet that it's your glow plugs.

K9Vic

You used ether to start it? It has always been my understanding to never use ether or starting fluid on a diesel. There is a BIG warning label in all caps on my engine that says.

"Notice do not use starting fluids. Immediate engine damage can result."

Attachments

L.Gaston

Yes I used ether to start it. Not very much. My cousin in Iraq uses ether to start his m1009 whenever the temperature gets below 50. He never has any trouble. I don't use very much at all. Just a one second shot. My dad has owned 6.2's for well over 25 years, and has never had this kind of trouble with one. It runs just fine after it fires off of the tiny bit of ether. As long as the engine is still warm its fires right up on its own. I know well the dangers of ether. We used a ton of ether to get our 504 ci Perkins back runing in our 1150 Massey tractor. We used about a full bottle on it, and it runs just fine now. I figure as long as you don't use much, and definitely don't glow plug it, a tad bit of ether isn't too bad.

L.Gaston

Our wait light no longer works, since we wired around the controller. I do here the glow plugs kick in if thats the clunk you are referring too.
Lincoln

91W350

If you run across a Dodge/Cummins that does not start, do not spray any starting fluids in the intake unless you are absolutely sure the intake grids are non-functional. They use a toaster like grid to heat the air, not a glow plug in the head. The resulting flashback, explosion could be hazardous to your health.

That being said, I would not either a 6.2 unless you are really certain the glow plugs are not working. Glen

Ignus

My dad watched someone ether a combine to death.... I'd suggest spraying some ether on a rag and placing the rag near the intake, spraying ether directly into the intake is a fast way to toast your engine. It breaks down oil, rather quickly....

ida34

Check the glow plug system again. It really sounds like they are not working. It might also be an air leak in the fuel system. The biggest problem with ether on these engines is the glow plugs. The ether and the hot glow plugs equals major engine problems. If you were trying to did not try the glow plugs then ether would be OK. How did you check your glow plugs? You say you used a multimeter but did you check for the resistance of the plugs or did you check for voltage at the plugs? A quick way to check the plugs is to take a test light and connect the clamp to the 12 volt positive terminal. Then touch the probe end to the terminal on the glow plug with the connector off. If the thing lights you should be good. You can also check resistance from ground to the glow plug terminal again with the connector off. I think the value should be 3 ohms or resistance. Again, what you describe sounds like a glow plug problem. The smoke is the unburned fuel. If you are sure about the glow plugs working then I would start looking for a leak allowing fuel to enter the fuel line. Check the filter base first.

zyrtecx

My M1009 has been a little hard to start on these 20 degree mornings... Checked the glow plugs and found three (3) there were not working... Replace the three glow plugs and I will see how she starts in the morning... Think that I'm just going to replace them all soon!

ida34

My M1009 has been a little hard to start on these 20 degree mornings... Checked the glow plugs and found three (3) there were not working... Replace the three glow plugs and I will see how she starts in the morning... Think that I'm just going to replace them all soon!

You are lucky you check when you did. If you have the stock setup then the other plugs were getting more than the 12-14 volts they should. You will find that the others would have started going bad very fast because each one that goes adds voltage to the ones that are left. I agree, you should replace the others soon.

91W350

I put a new set in my M1008 and it fired right up at -7 F, no block heater of any kind and parked outside. I fully expected to be calling for a ride or getting my wife up to run me to work. I thought that was pretty impressive for a 22 year old glow plug diesel. Glen

L.Gaston

Thanks for the info guys. I will use the rag trick from now on. That sounds a lot better then spraying it in the intake. I will check the plugs again tomorrow. We checked them two weekends ago. What do you recommend I replace the glow plugs with? We have a full set of 60g's in the garage, which is what we put in our Civy 6.2's.

ida34

If the plugs pass both the light test and the ohm test then I say don't replace them. The 60Gs are pretty good and if you have them on hand you might want to swap them out then test the old ones on the bench for ohms. The 60G plugs have a wider spade so you either need to trim them down to fit or change the connectors. How did you check them before?

L.Gaston

Well, I have bad news.... I tested them all, and they all were bad. To top it off.... three are mushroomed. Two on the passengers side, and one on the drivers. It turns out that the plugs were mixed... 13g's and 60g's. When the previous owner said he changed the glow plugs, he must have only replaced the bad ones, with non matching ones, or known that there were 3 mushroomed.

ida34

I just got done with pulling the heads off when two of the swollen plugs broke off. Try the swollen plug removal tool first. As stated earlier, all the plugs have to be working or the extra voltage will kill the rest. At least you know exactly what your problem is now.

Mudstone

i'm going to be replacing my glow plugs... ALL of them anything i should know. is it like spark plugs? i've never done glow plugs before. let me know of anything to look out for or be prepped for any special tool requirements as well. i love finding an excuse to go to sears

chevyrac66

I just had the same exact problem on one today.... 3/8" socket on a 1/4" drive is what I used... then the puller on the swelled glow plugs worked wonders! Check your puller for what size wrenches you need before you get it all ready to go on the head...(learned that today too)

Crash_AF

As long as the plugs are not swollen, yes it is like spark plugs except no gap. If the tips are swollen and won't fit through the hole, then you will have other problems to deal with. Do a search for 'swollen glow plug' on here for detailed suggestions on how to get them out.

The general consensus is to use the Wellman's that you can find on Ebay. I've heard good things about INDUSA as a seller...
6.2L MILITARY CUCV 24 VOLT DIESEL GLOW PLUGS (0070):eBay Motors (item 360188042177 end time Jan-07-10 18:17:14 PST)

Later,
Joe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had the same exact problem on one today.... 3/8" socket on a 1/4" drive is what I used... then the puller on the swelled glow plugs worked wonders! Check your puller for what size wrenches you need before you get it all ready to go on the head...(learned that today too)

They are actually, 10 mm. The threads are metric also.

I use a 6 point deepwell socket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks