• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starting problems

zyrtecx

My M1009 that I got at Jefferson City, Mo. showed 35,000 miles and the glow plugs were Wellman, just ordered 8 new glow plugs from NAPA (AC 13 type) that have the correct connector... They are suppose the be here today.
I took the replacement glow plugs out of a M1009 that I had 91,000 miles showing, they were AC13 and looked really good and this M1009 had been sitting 2 1/2 years... Every one of the glow plugs in this vehicle were OK but rusty on the outside and no rust on the inside...

kipman

I think breaking off the glow plug, removing the injector was very easy, I did this on 4 plugs and took 2.5 hours. I used a hemostat to fish out the broken tip.

cleb

I had the same starting issue with my M1009....I put all new AC13G's (IIRC) in, and after a couple weeks ALL 8 were fried with swollen heads. I took all 8 injectors out, then unscrewed the glow plugs, and pulled them out as far as they would go. Next I took a pair of vice grips, and bent the head back and forth until it broke off. I then pushed the remainder of the glow plug into the head with a new glow plug. Be careful at this step! if you push it in too far, it will drop into the head, not good! When I could just see it from the injector hole, I grabbed it with a pair of Hemostats like Kipman mentioned. I did this with all 8, didn't drop a single one. I replaced them all with AC60G's, only way to go.

After that I still had a starting problem after sitting for a day or more. Turned out to be a combination of an old injector pump, with old cracked rubber hoses. I replaced the IP, and ALL rubber hoses between the tank and the IP. The truck started in 0 degree weather without issues after that. I also had a manual Glow plug switch on this truck, as the controller cards like to fry.

Last edited: