• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Tires and Lift

Michael

I would like to add that the stock M1009 rims are kind of hard to find. They are wider than what is on most civi trucks. So if you don't save them for yourself, be sure to pass them on to another MVer. If anybody is going to the Atlanta show and has some they want to sale or trade I would be interested.

AJMBLAZER

Huh, they 15x8's?

I know by the 80's most of the civilian trucks got the 15x7's while in the 70's the 15x8's were around but never the majority.

Michael

I was told they were the widest plan steel wheel GM made. Most trucks with wide wheels got the fancy ones with chrome trim. I can get a bunch of them and in fact have a set on one of my M1009's.
I was told how wide they were but I forgot. 8.5 or 10.5 comes to mind.

sturkopp

i did a 4 inch procomp lift and still use 31s, they look a bit lost in the fenders, the 33s are already ordered. You can see the 4inch with stock rims and 31s in my gallery (the pic with the lightbar) These springs are stiff like a railway, I wouldn`t take them again!

@K5nutt:
what is this cover on your hardtop, is this some army-stuff???

ojsdna744

AJMBLAZER said:
M1008 CUCV. 51k miles, no tires, camo paint, and plans..
Please note that while I am keeping it military-ish I am not restoring it and any comments about my "restoration sins" are unwelcome. I want a useful 1-ton 4x4 pickup, not a restored military vehicle.
rofl Why is it I never read that part of your signature before? rofl

Oh yeah, procomps lift take awhile to settle in, once they're working with the bigger tires, they should settle down a bit.

AJMBLAZER

Let's just say that appeared after I recieved and observed many comments on here about modifying my CUCV from stock. I never claimed to be restoring this thing and let's face facts - no vehicle, even MV's, has ever been perfect from the start. Look at the leaf spring shackles on MB jeeps and you'll see what I mean. This also isn't a pure restoration site because if it was it wouldn't have biofuels and deuce modification forums...or write ups about super singles and the like. There are always improvements that can be made to a vehicle. This attitude that I have observed has also been why I always direct people who talk about modifying their CUCV's over to www.ColoradoK5.com .

ProComps do settle in but for the money you can get a BDS or Tough Country spring which won't need to "settle in". Better warranties and customer service as well.

BigB84

Finally put some funds together and convinced the wife (what a cool b-day present). I put some 33/12.50 Interco Trexus sts tires on some black pro comp 15/8's. I decided no lift for now as the funds were not really working out for now. When I put the wheels and tire on: I like the ride height handleing and driveablility. I think I'll stay w/ this sort fo combo for a while. 8)

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

K5NUTT said:
Owning many K5's over the years i have found the perfect combo is a 4 inch lift with 33's.
Add traction devices to the rears and your in rather good shape.
I started with Auburn Pro series lockers and was quite impressed with what they could do.
Although eventually i moved on to a 6 inch lift....35's..trimmed the fenders...added a detroit locker in the rear...and enjoyed wheelin.
Course we have gone way beyond these days and i have went to full x-over steering in the front and loaded the 10b with chrome moly parts...super joints....4.88's and an arb...but thats another story entirely.

DW
thats a lot of money to throw into those axles, much cheaper at that point to just sling 1ton axles under your rig.

ojsdna744

Bobert said:
So did you guys with the 33'' tires keep the stock 3.08 gears?

Anything you would have done differently?
I left my gearing alone. I don't really care how fast it gets up to speed and never tow anything very heavy. Sure she's a little slower off the line, but I knew I wasn't buying a race car anyway!! :D

Bobert

Good point, I may just stick with my 31s.

They may look small on the blazer, but anything else like a jeep or ranger they are pretty good sized. Besides, I have more ground clearence I know what to do with.

Or do I... :twisted:

Mike_Pop

I didn't touch my gearing. The truck is a slug no matter what. I do like the top end speeds though. Not much ground clearance because I am used to my Unimog with 19" to the bottom of the rear pumpkin which was the lowest point.

BigB84

Bobert said:
So did you guys with the 33'' tires keep the stock 3.08 gears?

Anything you would have done differently?

Yea I left the 3.08's, and she's definitely pretty slow off the start and sluggish on a incline. Pretty cool at highway speeds though. Once my money tree starts to produce, there is definitely pans for 4.11's in the future. Probably distant future aua

AJMBLAZER

Keep an eye out on the local 4x4 forums and such for 1/2 ton axles with better gears. Even 3.42's would be a good upgrade over 3.08's. Gear a 6.2L correctly and you'll appreciate it a lot more.

A lot of folks are upgrading to 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles so there's lots of 1/2 ton stuff being practically given away. Many have deeper gears than 3.08.

BigB84

What red-blooded American boy buys a new set of tires and doesn't test them out at least once!! I know these tires are listed as all-terrians, but I was pretty surprised at their performance in the south louisiana mud. Don't get me wrong we were not in the swamps or boggs or anything like that, but we did play around in some 3-4ft rice field mud. For the most part I had no problems, did have to leave it in 4-low to keep all four tires turning and cleaning. 2-high and 4-high didn't stand a chance, could barely turn the wheels in the mush. I did use 4-high when we wer crossing the levees and didn't have any problems there. The only time I got stuck was when i cross rutted some larger ruts made by other trucks and the a/ts slicked up on me. It was a very fun afternoon and I am really liking these tires. They are by far the best tires I've had as for a road performance and did decent in our off road adventure. Don't get me wrong, any true mud tire wouldn't have gotten stuck at all out there. :D

Attachments

CR99

Tuff country seems to be the way to go for springs. What size would I need to "replace" the stock ones I have? 2,4 or 6" and 52 or 56" springs (front and back). Not looking for a lift, just better ride? for a 84 m1009 with 33s...