• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 turbo build

remote6

cucv turboed first start

Here is a video of my m1009 cucv it's the first start up with my new 6.5l turbo installed, it's been a work in progress for about 3 months. Fast foward to about 8 minutes to see the start up.

paladin1176

Spent a lot. Its the small things that really add up. Have not drove it yet its not done! Im hoping tomorrow!
Turbo intake manifold 50$
Turbo with exhaust manifold 200$
head gaskets and head bolts 89$ I think
exhaust gaskets 15$ each I think only 2 used
intake gasket 12$
upper intake gasket around 10$
pyrometer with probe 90$
boost meter free! used
oil line 29$
exhaust pipe 118$ for down pipe
exhaust pipe for crossover 14$ so far have not finished it
two exhaust hangers the rubber pices 12$
exhaust wrap 50$
probably 100$ of randome stuff
fuel pump 30-60$ have not bought it yet.
I need a couple of hoses i had to cut idk what those cost yet.

So tomorrow I will have the crossover on and will have to hook up a fuel pump and change the oil and hopefuly will be starting it up!
Too bad you won't be in North Carolina any time soon. I have a complete 6.5l turbo and motor from a 1993 pickup and I want to do the same thing. Not that I am scared of doing my own work...but knowledge and help are invaluable tools. Not only subscribing...reading in detail to prep for the after winter upgrade.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know what the final drive of the 4L80E is, but 3.08 gears in the 1009 Blazer keep the rpms way down, adding an overdrive transmission would seem to me to be overkill unless you re-gear to something like 3.73

2cents

fastbuckink

I think OD is .75. I was thinking it would be great on the highway with the 3.08 gears, unless there is a glaring problem like the engine not having enough power or something.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think OD is .75. I was thinking it would be great on the highway with the 3.08 gears, unless there is a glaring problem like the engine not having enough power or something.
I think that will be exactly it, even with a turbo I think your going to be lacking power. Again these are my opinions, your mileage may vary!

;-)

Look at the gear spacing / ratio between the 700r4 and 4l80E... i think you would be better off with the 4l80e... IMHO... i recently picked up one at a scrap yard for $50.00 and its gonna cost 75.00 to have it gone thru...

remote6

Yeah it was 112 but I kept looking and fond a sale I guess. 1450 is pretty high! No problems? I haven't drove mine too much think I only got it to 800. I need to put a lift kit on because my front drive shaft is hitting my crossover and denting it.

remote6

Yeah its not too hard of a job the worst part was getting the exhaust header bolts in. An idea I had after I was finished of course is if your taking the heads off is maybe put the headers on the heads before you put the heads on.

mcsteffensr

I would go with the 6.5 injectors because of the shorter length. it will keep the injector lines farther away from the exhaust manifold. that thing will heat up to about 1100 degrees! I had to insulate my lines because the fuel started to boil in the injector lined after a lot of high boost and hi temp runs... it was not a good thing. I thought I had blown the engine. I used a ultra high temp hose insulation I got from a hose shop. I also switched to 6.5 injectors. no problems since.

mcsteffensr

Turbos actuals lower egts and improve engine cooling. I know it sounds crazy but I tested it before and after on my CUCV. because I wasn't quite convinced. my truck runs cooler now than pre turbo install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks