• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, what else to look for

jaymcb

I'm going to look at an M1009.

It has new batteries >1 year old, new alternators, new starter, 13k on new tires and wheels, it has been painted, so no rot. Replaced seats, replaced column, and good floors. New dual exhaust. Rebuilt THM400 transmission. New front wheel bearings, axle joints, hubs, and seals.

The mileage is high, so what else should I be looking for? I've read the CUCV FAQ, and I know it will need the Doghead and GP relay mods.

I am told no leaks, we'll see.

The body (from pictures, looks nice and straight.

So....what else should I be looking for? I've asked him to not start it so I can see a cold start, and also to see about oil consumption. Just looking for my CUCV owning SS brothers for any other things I might want to pay special attention to.

This owner bought from GL, has had for 3 years, only put 13k miles on it.
He is willing to throw in a NIB starter, and NIB alternator, fuel filters, etc.

Anyone with tips? Many thanks in advance!

allenhillview

You know a lot already. Damper, steering gear leaks, rust in an area that you can't fix easily(frame), look in the valley below IP, water pump dweeb hole(after hot),smell fluid in trans after hot, water in oil,diesel smell in oil,look at radiator from the inside through shroud for green look on cooling fins(plates) maybe some small leak if present , look at overflow line at bottle and at radiator connection, just some of my fixes after I got mine.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHY is the current owner selling?

Seems they have replaced/repaired most of the systems you attach TO the engine. Granted you state hi miles, but this diesel engine should get well over 200k miles if properly maintained.

If the body is straight with no rust, about the only issues I see for future repair/replacement is the fuel delivery system (IP - $500 if you do the rebuild, $1k+ if someone else does it) and the brakes ($200 if you do them, $600+ if someone else does them). PAST THAT, engine maybe? Make sure to check radiator pressure - with the engine warm AND RUNNING, squeeze the upper hose to see if it's pressurized.

Let us know what you find and what you did.

Last edited:

jaymcb

appointment to see it tomorrow.

other than the high odometer, the biggest drawback is civi green paint instead of OD.

Just found out it has an electric winch that fits in the rear receiver. I hope it is as good as it sounds, because if it is, it will be sitting in my driveway very soon. :)

forest522

If you already have green fever, and that's ok you're in good company here, when you arrive - take a deep breath, find your zen place and focus.

Walk up to the truck and objectively look, tap and tug on stuff. Look at the wiring - are there many places where there are fresh black electrical tape? Has the GP controller card (near the steering column, a black plastic box a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes) been altered, removed or the wires taped into? Check the fuse relay - rusty, burn marks, any wires misplaced or out of place...

Wiring is a big issue, especially if an owner has done some shade tree stereo installs, etc.

Oh yes, about 10 minutes into the visit, take a deep breath again and then start looking underneath for rust or leaking fuel lines. These are not deal breakers, just something to consider and use as bargaining points.

Good luck, oh and if your married - warn her!:D

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air conditioning. I was looking at about 30 1008s n 1009s, Jack sez "They are all the same price, pick one." Of the 30, two had air, so I got one of those.

jaymcb

If you already have green fever, and that's ok you're in good company here, when you arrive - take a deep breath, find your zen place and focus.

Walk up to the truck and objectively look, tap and tug on stuff. Look at the wiring - are there many places where there are fresh black electrical tape? Has the GP controller card (near the steering column, a black plastic box a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes) been altered, removed or the wires taped into? Check the fuse relay - rusty, burn marks, any wires misplaced or out of place...

Wiring is a big issue, especially if an owner has done some shade tree stereo installs, etc.

Oh yes, about 10 minutes into the visit, take a deep breath again and then start looking underneath for rust or leaking fuel lines. These are not deal breakers, just something to consider and use as bargaining points.

Good luck, oh and if your married - warn her!:D
Thanks for the wiring tips!

at the risk of a double negative - the wife is less not on board with the 1009, which WILL fit in my outside garage, than the 109a4 I already have, which will not :p

I may end up with it, we'll see. Snow is coming here tonight and tomorrow, which is going to make a 90 mile ride each way a real blast....

chevyCUCV

Where abouts is it?
I might be able to go along with you if you havent gone yet.

Either way, poke every where underneath and make sure to fun your fingers along the lip of the wheevlwells to feel for any rust there.
Glad to see your getting a herd.

forest522

Forgot to mention the plastic moulding on the seats - if they are still present that is a bonus. If not, no worries - but it is important to note that the seats in the 1009s are basically S10 pickup and blazer seats. If you go to a junkyard, 1984 S10 seat mouldings are the same.

Napa paints has a burgandy Simco paint for plastic and vinyl - its a perfect match.

Spend a lot of time in a local junkyard if you need parts - its amazing what you find and you can look into areas of a Blazer that is a mess, figure out how things go together before attacking yours!

jaymcb

Well, I went and looked last night.....

The report:

Low points:
Ugly green civvy color
A little rust on the drivers' side rear wheel well, but just a little.
Seats changed out, a little worn
Leak out of the transfer case @ the rear driveshaft.
Oil pan leaks (dry above)
Cooling line to the radiator is seeping (not leaking)
The dash has a hole in it for the civvy stereo
Wipers don't work
Steering wheel has been changed for an aftermarket one.
It has a vibration driving that seems like it has a bad (or dry) U-joint.

Good points:
Started up cold from 15 degrees pretty easy
Engine sounds as good as it can - for a wheel chock :)
No engine leaks other than the oil pan
Brakes done @ all 4 wheels, good rubber.
Front end tight, all done over.
Floor boards look solid, as does the frame.
Goes pretty straight down the road.
MUCH easier to back up than my 109 :)

I looked at it, poked around, thought about it, decided I didn't need another leaky green project in the middle of the winter, and shot the guy a lowball offer.

Then he took it. aua DOH!

Now I have a new truck coming home next week. Anyone in the area good @ diagnosing transfer case leaks and driveline vibrations?

forest522

Can't help you on the driveline and t-case leaks - but Congrats! A good deal is a good deal. Sounds like there are some things to do but if you have a good UpullandPay place nearby - steering wheels, seats, all the rest aren't too hard to come by.

The driveline thing...even though mine seems fine, I have heard from many that when you get a new-to-you Blazer it's good to replace the u-joints and the rest as a standard PCMS sort of thing. Some of these things were driven pretty hard.

The leaks - everyone tells me when I complain about drips on the driveway that if it doesn't leak then it ain't a military vehicle! Still, I fight the unending battle against those little leaks...

Door rust should be too awful to deal with. Good luck on your project!

chevyCUCV

Congrats, Cant wait to see pictures

Sounds like a lot of the work is done that most cucv owners have to do.

Watch out though cucv's like other cucv's for company.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks