• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A2 to A1

shawn085

I have questions for the fellow readers. I've been wanting to get a M101 trailer for my M37. So I want one with the 5 bolt rims. Now if I find a M101A2 or A3 could I put the 5 lug axle under it to change it to the older rims? (I just so happen to have a said axle). And if I used some of my M37 parts could I get the brakes to work both surge and parking?:confused:

acmunro

I am pretty sure it would bolt right up. I have both types so I will have to look. Its funny because I have a couple of
trailers I am going to covert from A-1 To A-2.

Nonotagain

I have questions for the fellow readers. I've been wanting to get a M101 trailer for my M37. So I want one with the 5 bolt rims. Now if I find a M101A2 or A3 could I put the 5 lug axle under it to change it to the older rims? (I just so happen to have a said axle). And if I used some of my M37 parts could I get the brakes to work both surge and parking?:confused:
A1's don't have brakes or a provision on the frame for them. The frame is bare with just the lunette in place.

The a3 uses a different set of fenders since the wheels were moved further outboard to clear the beadlock tires and wheels. Also the a3 uses a raised center axle. And finally the a3 trailers are rated one ton verses 3/4 ton for the a2's.

A1 trailers usually go for cheap compared to the a2 or a3 versions.

If you are looking to build a period correct trailer it won't have brakes.

acmunro

I don't think he is making an A1. He wants to convert an A2 to use the large 5 bolt pattern. The A3 would take some fab
work in the fender department. I guess it's whats most avalible north of the border.

shawn085

Thats it exactly. Thought I could make the M101 and M37 combo a bit safer if the trailer had the surg brake working. But with the Five bolt hubs. I just don't think it looks right to have the A2 type rims beind a M37. Plus I would have to pack two different spares. Does anyone know if they think I could get the brakes to work and still have the park brake? I haven't seen inside the hub of a A1 or A2 trailer hub.