• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Adventures

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 Rims

I completely agree. The aluminum Wheels came off a military Range unit and were on the truck when I got it.

You are not the only one to voice that opinion and I'm waiting for the day I wake up and one of the local purists changes them over while I'm sleeping......Still waiting.

I am looking for two more rims and rubber but my son, his friends, all the kids and a pile 'o' more garish loving folks voted to keep them.

An original M1010 on the left and the shiny rims on the 1010 to the right.

I'd like a vote!

Attachments

Skinny

I like the factory black steelies because it looks original. Your rig with the H2's still looks like a honey badger truck. For those of you that don't know the honey badger...it is pretty bad a$$.

Run it!!!

Danger Ranger

I can dig the shiny wheels. It gives it a modern sharper appearance. And contrast is good, from an art perspective.

Other route you could go would be black painted civi rally wheels. Wider, so it would still look awesome. But black to match the truck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 plowin' adventure

Had another winter blast so took the opportunity to grab an M1010 snow plowin' video and a few pics.

Snapped a pic of the spray-on vegetable oil we use on all the plows and snow buckets just to show that we're always thinking of the MVironment.

As you can hear the 1010 handles the work easily, doesn't lug in 4 high even pushing 3' of snow down the funnel.

Lots of maintenance, lube and bolt torquing before each shift but another flawless push in the 86'.

http://youtu.be/ADOUjR3bABE

Attachments

stevoMT

DSCN2553.jpg

I bought this M1010 back in December and made a pretty fun road trip from Texas to Montana via all the fun places like Moab. It's going to be a pretty fun camper truck. I've 37's with H1 wheels on it, but I'm trying to minimize any actual permanent changes to the truck. Super fun! The rear locker is pretty awesome, and with a front ARB locker this thing is going to be a beast!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/93775-M1010-expo-build-The-Mountain-Turtle

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original M1010 Rims

With our first display coming up this weekend I decided a great way to show some respect, is to listen and go original.

There should be about 10 of us for the 90 mile convoy in our second year for Veterans Voices of Canada, which is more important than anything.

http://www.sylvanlakenews.com/news/205784671.html?mobile=true

The previous owner of the 1010 had 2 rims off the original truck and basically gave me 2 others. We pulled down the original spare and found rubber that matched height, looked similar and should provide a quiet ride.....while being towed...with the 6.2 shut off. I'm flat prepared without hauling a 35' tire around on my sleeping bag, which is another good reason to do this.

The original rims were in good shape so they took a bath, de-grease and a light scuff with 180grit. We paid $40.00 per rim for sandblasting the other two and they got a complete primer/sealer and flat black rust paint.

We let the blasted rims dry for a few days before letting the tire shop scratchem' up and only got the rears on today. The difference in the rubber size is hilarious. I was getting 16mpg last year with a 55-60mph so we'll check the change.

I did see in the TM's that a ring was added on the original rims but I don't have them so I'm curious if that will be a problem??????

Off-roading and 4xing is not in the budget so if they were added only as strengtheners, this asphalt queen won't need them while it's under my butt..........butt I would appreciate some input.

Most guys go bigger but today, I tossed away an extra 5 inches with pride.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM Ring wheel clamping

Here are two pics from the TM's, one showing the 'Ring Wheel Clamping" as #2 and one pic without it.

Both pics are front hub so I'm just checking if anyone else runs without the ring, it's purpose and if it's for a specific truck.

Thought I might find more info in TM10 3-6 but it's not clear, yet. I did see 140ft lbs of torque and too much other information trying to be parade ready.

A few more shots of the brush guard back on, the signs mounted for highway speeds and how the 1010 looks beside a Dually. Did a quick run but until I check the speedo with someone I can't be sure how fast she ran. The speedo said 50mph and the 6.2 was hummin' just right.

M1010 with 4" rear lift , 2 1/2" front lift , 4:10 gears and original stock rims.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1986 m1010 1956 m135

Found a few minutes to road test the trucks so my kid and I did our first convoy together. Stopped at the park where we both grew up. Just a drive, yet one of my life's most memorable events.

The latest generation love their tuner cars and keeping the interest in historical military vehicles is a battle.
His buddies like the trucks.....but they don't want one.

Some pics

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it looks great with the factory look. Lift kit keeps it tough looking too. The ring, you don't need it and can't use it. Look at the text you posted from the TM. Under the ring you will find UOC. This is used on code. Attached is a pic of the UOC legend from the TM. 254 and 256 are both dually trucks which use the rings.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Dr. Recovery . I need to sleep with the CUCV TM's more often. The M135 manuals seem like comic books compared to the 1010 manuals but I'm learnin', appreciate the help.

I agree on the look and both of our 1010's look schmokin' hot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries Brother! Your wagon is one of the ones that inspired me to seek one. Now I absolutely love the truck. By far my favorite truck in the yard. I think I need to take a ride!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I need to take a ride!
We took a ride and the 1010 decided 300 miles was just right. Left the yard with 36490km on the odo and returned with just under 37000km. Long trip for the jeeps but our nose gunner ran a near flawless lead down the 110kph highway at 80kph. We ran an open convoy, widening our 3 second gap at on-ramps to allow merging traffic to flow with us until they moved out into the fast lane. We caused 5 minutes of delay grief for Saturday travelers on a short run down a 2 lane road that was too busy and dangerous for passing our convoy. My guilt was short lived after seeing the appreciation from the event holders and Veterans as our units began to role into the staging area.

Ran 6 1/2 units for the 100 mile trip to Sylvan Lake from Edmonton. One smart feller decided a $45.00 fee for the u-haul, jeep tow was worth it but he needs to paint his Toyota OD for the next trip.

We convoyed back to Edmonton after the 5 hour static show and 3 of the boys followed me to my aunts 80th birthday for a MV surprise visit. The look on her face says it all.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 adventures

Hard to believe this lady is 80 the way she climbed all over the trucks and Iltis.

A couple of hi-lights with an 8 ton Bedford, Ferret, dedicated cars, trucks, bikes and of course the getting closer to original looking M1010.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV selection

Tough to choose which pics to show but here are a few more shots of a perfect Iltis with a little more than 500k on the gauge and the 8 ton Bedford. The jet engine was a P&W J-57 possibly out of a Voodoo.

Following the Iltis down the highway was like following a go-cart but they eat the 1010 with acceleration and top speed.

........but you can sleep in the 1010 and catch up later.

Enjoy

Attachments

MilChevyguy

Amazing pics.....love it....I will have to find some local shows that I can get the kids to attend with me too...they would love it!!!
Would be even better to take them there in the M1010 ! ! !

Thank you for the great post of the show and trip, man I miss Alberta:cry:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1010 adventures have slowed to a crawl and she's now sat for over a year with no time for attention.

Before I toss an add in the classifieds on Steel Soldiers I'd like some feedback on where the market is going on this type of truck and if I set the value right.

I'd negotiate price if I knew it was going to be kept original but I'm thinking it would cost me $20,000.00 to replace it with something equivalent.......so maybe I'm not asking enough and someone else is nuts enough...like us.... to pay more.

The details about the truck are in the thread. We tossed it in the mud a few times, pushed some snow, then washed and paraded it a whole bunch more after that. Kilometerage is 37,000 which is about 23,000 miles. I forgot to add the "Pintle Hitch" to the add but here's what I placed on Kijiji.

M1010 1985 GMC military ambulance, with or without plow. 6.2 l diesel, Highway gears. 12 volt conversion. Prepared for show with the MVPA. Used for display at military fundraisers, parades, military family support, airshows and camping. This M1010 led a 50 truck convoy to Whitecourt in 2012. Low mileage, Only 37,000km,. Additions are Trani-cooler, trailer brake controller, trailer wiring, Hiniker Plow, 4" lift, 12 volt cig lighter, temp, oil pressure and volt gauges. Comes with two sets of tires and rims. One set of Hummer rims c/w 37" tires and one set of original rims with new stock tires and original spare. Stored indoors in winter with plow mounted and never saw a 'cold start'. All maintenance receipts available.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks