• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Adventures

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 rides again

Some poetic justice.

My ode to mechanics.

Here once sat a lonely 1010, I worked real hard to get it running again. New filters and pumps, check the steering and brakes, she's going back to the parade front, whatever it takes.

P4220271.jpg

I checked the TM's for the process to prime, thought it would be easy, I had nothing but time.
When things just don't go well, more than the trucks start to bleed, the answer is clear, it's a mechanic we need.

With a minute of looking and scratching his head, he puts down the three quarter, grabs a five eights instead.
With a crank of the handle on the line that I missed, "turn the key without fuel", he began to insist.

I wanted to argue, I read the TM's, they say give it throttle, he said, 'hit it again'. Within a few minutes, spare batteries aligned, I expected some noise, maybe even a grind. A few more revolutions, more than I tried, it roared to life, then it just died.

With the smile of an angel, the mechanic popped up, "looks like you've got a sweet running truck". "cycle the glow-plugs" let's try this again. She started and ran, now this mechanic's my friend.

P4220262.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a tough time getting Push, the M1010 running after sitting for 500 days. I knew I was in trouble when I took the air cleaner off and the carb' was missing. Thought about swapping in a radial engine. Then a friend had a little talk with the M1010, ..........and now that it's running, I can polish the transfer case again.

goose 15 001.jpgm101015 011.jpgP4220299.jpgP4220292.jpg

The M1010 went to work at the aviation museum so I grabbed a few pics to update the thread.

The voodoo, f104, bomarc, maple leaf mustang,
P4220307.jpgP4220296.jpgP4220285.jpgm101015 017.jpgP4220275.jpg.............The fastest M1010 in the World.

.......and one of the last remaining American supplied, WW11 hangers, sitting on the hood, scheduled for demo.....the hanger, not the hood.

P4220313.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to prime your 6.2l diesel

What kind of carbonator did you put on it to get it running?
Not being a mechanic and coming from a horticultural point of view, it was best that I left that decision to someone with more experience.

The mechanic suggested I go take pictures of carbs, turbos, pistons and valves with similar bolt patterns......and leave him alone. He specifically said I should not be around the big hole on top of the 6.2 while the engine is running. It can suck leaves, rags, ties, loose clothing and small birds inside if a guy doesn't know what he's doing.

I do know that carburetors are mounted below the engine on most aircraft. If they leak, the fuel will flow down and away from the hot engine, unless you are upside down.

carb av 15 004.jpg carb av 15 012.jpg carb av 15 011.jpg carb av 15 008.jpg carb av 15 002.jpgcarb av 15 010.jpg carb av 15 007.jpg carb av 15 009.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to prime the 6.2l diesel

I did have a challenge finding an 'easy to reach' thread with a decent title for 'priming'. Maybe my search filters are missing something but I was looking through the stickies and faq's for something along the lines of;

a) How to prime the 6.2l diesel
b) trouble shooting the fuel system on the 6.2l diesel

I saved some of the links that helped me as I grew some empathy for the "CUCV does not start" kids. Youtube and diesel forums have a ton of information but Steel Soldiers usually has everything ready on the platter.... or at least on the menu.

I will hunt around some more and kick in the links that helped me if we can find something with a suitable 'priming' title.

I enjoy reading through the TM's and it usually solves all problems but not reading through them is a lot of fun too.:-D

The folks had to re-register their van today so Mom can still wheel to her appointments and we had a little celebration. They have 174 years of life experience and 120 years of driving time between the two of them .

They just want everyone to make it a great day and the way to stay alive, is focus on the drive.

ma and pa push 001.jpg
:tigger:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 Friday night show-off

This ol' house on wheels attracts the crowds at A&W so I figured I'd share the night's photos.

There's a little piece of 1010 in every pic.

may1010carshow15 018.jpgmay1010carshow15 005.jpgmay1010carshow15 006.jpgmay1010carshow15 008.jpgmay1010carshow15 009.jpgmay1010carshow15 011.jpgmay1010carshow15 013.jpgmay1010carshow15 020.jpg

This is one of my favorite shots.... the 1010 between 18" rubbers.

may1010carshow15 002.jpgmay1010carshow15 001.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive with the nose for a leaky heater hose

Did a tour today to watch the new 'museum' drone learn how to take pictures of the bunker.

may 15 004.jpgmay 15 001.jpg

Had the slightest scent of sweet anti-freeze after an hour on the road so did a Post Parting inspection. Managed to spot the leak before it caught me in traffic with my pants down.......or worse.

may 15 010.jpgmay 15 008.jpg

I'm not sure if other CUCV's have this fancy cross pipe going to the top hose of the radiator but if you do, check the hoses. Looks like an easy fix for a landscaper who knows his hose.

It seems like a good place to lean on when working over the engine and I can only guess that's what caused the hose to
'break-down'.

Here's a few more fun pictures from the M1010 adventures.

may 1`5 009.jpgmay 1`5 010.jpgmay 1`5 005.jpgmay 1`5 004.jpgmay 1`5 003.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring on Summer

Every Friday night that the sun shines, the White Oaks A&W in Edmonton continues to bring in hundreds of auto enthusiasts.

Check out the 'Big Orange Wheel' parked in front of the M1010. Who else had a 'big wheel' growing up?

1010may15 001.jpg1010may15 005.jpg1010may15 006.jpg1010may15 013.jpg1010may15 008.jpg1010may15 004.jpg1010may15 002.jpg

The 1010 adventured out to the St. Albert Rainmaker rodeo and visited the boys shining up the toys for the big parade. Once again, something green in every shot.

1010may15 009.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 parades

One of the great things about this hobby is meeting the 'new' ranks that are also inflicted with the green addiction. Life is full of surprises.

I knew I'd be meeting an M35A2, running in a parade in Onoway, representing and carrying the local legion. I didn't know we'd be joined by a couple of other green toys until we wheeled into the staging area.

This truck should go in the G749 preservation thread but I'm guessing we'll get a few more chances to see it.

The Nov. 22, 1956 M135 was waiting for us at the start of the parade route. It took 3rd place out of all the parade entries and won a sweet trophy at the publicly judged car show after the parade. The owner even had an extra Op manual that he passed to me so if anyone needs help driving the deuce, I have the TM. The 105 shell casings were a neat touch.

P6130235.jpgP6130236.jpgP6130238.jpgP6130241.jpgP6130282.jpgjune parade 019.jpgP6130234.jpg

I was so excited seeing a very late and original M135 that I barely noticed this M925 rolling in.

P6130247.jpg

After the parade and staging at the legion a few folks showed interest in buying the 1010 so it must have overheard...........and do you think it would start with potential buyers standing next to it?

P6130282.jpgP6130280.jpg

........so I gave my neighbour a call and this is how we came home.....no up-front charge but I have a feeling someone needs some landscaping done. Time to do some trouble-shooting.

P6130289.jpg

Terrh

Man I wish I could have made it there! Been way too busy, looks like I missed out on a lot of fun!

That truck shares its birthday with my mother! I'll have to show her some pictures.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nov. 22, 1956

Are you saying we have day, month and year correct for Mom's birthday? Nov. 22, 1956?

I thought it was groovy when the first 6x6 I looked at had my Dad's Day and Month correct. 3 / 16...56. He was born in 1927 but having the exact date, that would top it.

We need your skill set over here so lets get rained out tomorrow and if we can get the 1010 running, we'll convoy to A&W.

I made sure it wasn't batteries by grabbing some new $55.00 1000 cca econo's from interstate. It began to hesitate on start-up so the day before last weeks parade I added some 2- stroke to a full tank and drove it. The symptom seem to go away until after the parade.

It ran great on the highway and started a dozen times during the parade but it just seems like the fuel is doing a houdini out of the lines. Hooked the test light to the positive post on the battery and touched all the glow plugs with the pointy end to see it light 8 times. Electric fuel pump is pushing fuel past the filter.....and tomorrow is another day.

I took more pictures so you wouldn't miss all the fun.

P6171323.jpgP6171320.jpgP6171318.jpgP6171317.jpg

Terrh

Yep day month year! Pretty neat.

It sounds like the 1010 has a leak in the injector lines. I working today but not sure how long. I'll call you if I can sneak out early!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cucv m1010

Glad to hear the old 1010 is still around!
The 1010 is still around and isn't going anywhere, literally. I've neglected it so much it just deserves a better home.

I had the starter re-built because a mechanic said it was turning slow and could be part of the problem with the non-start issue. Just got it back so here is a parts list and a photo of the shiny new starter. I looked through the 'sticky' and starter threads to see if I could put the parts list on a better thread but there are a gaggle of starter threads. If a mod thinks the parts/price list would be helpful to anyone in the sticky stickies', then ......you got to move it move it. The old bolt in the last picture held the starter firm, in place, without the bracket installed since I got it. I'm feeling lucky.

PA300553.jpgPA300556.jpgPA300566.jpgPA300568.jpg

The "sticky' threads set me up with bolt and bracket numbers but we're going to debate the bolt size that goes into the bracket hole on the starter. We tried #6 to #10 metric bolts with a variety of thread pitch. The 1/4 x 20 was the only bolt that fit. I grabbed the metric bolts listeed in the sticky list first and ...did not...haul the starter into the bolt store.....which would have been the way to do it right the first time.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15551-Starter-bracket-bolt-size

PA300560.jpg

Batteries are on the charger and I'm really hoping I can get a nice video of the 1010 on the prowl again. I read that it's best to drop the bell housing cover and check the gap between the ring gear and starter so once the rain stops.......rur rur rurrrr rur rur rurrrrr, vrooom, rattle rattle rattle.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My CUCV won't start.......

What goes bad on the 6.2l diesel when it sits for 500 days.....after working flawlessly for a long time? Can the IP dry out?

We hoped to have it up for Remembrance Day activities yesterday but going through pictures of a friends's uncle, Harry Arthur Young was how we'd honor our veterans instead.

View attachment 593685

Before I send the 1010 out to a mechanic I figured I'd crawl inside the fuel system to try and better understand what can go wrong in what should be a closed hydraulic system. Push, the 1010, has an add on electric fuel pump, new spin on filter, a newer, dry lift pump, DH relay, thanks DH, and was changed to twelve volt using all the heavy information available on Steel Soldiers, by the PO.

View attachment 593684View attachment 593683View attachment 593682

We've done so much trouble shooting the truck is full of 303 shell holes and now we're thinking the IP went to sleep, woke up, then went back to sleep, slowly....errr sumthin.

This spring it fired after several bleeding attempts and I drove it for a few weeks. Did a great highway run and a parade with her. The only symptom prior to no start, was a delayed start. There was no or very little smoke, tons of power and easy starting. She'd usually fire after a few revolutions but began to take a little longer after bleeding this spring, even in 70°f temps.

Fuel is getting to the injectors, bled them multiple times. The air moved out of the clear tube after 3 or 4 rounds of 10 second cranking.

Used the test light to check continuity on the glow plugs and they have incontinence, or continence....the light lit.

We had the block heater plugged in and used a hair dryer to help the glow plugs if they were tired but once again.....rrrurrr rurr rurr, rurr rur rur....you know what I'm talking about.

We're thinking the next step is to pull the glow plugs and confirm what the PO put in there. It makes it easier to bleed and maybe SuperDave will show me how to test compression with some fancy gauge that is supposed to screw in the GP hole.

The only items left are injectors, IP and I read that we should try an isolated fuel supply to eliminate the possibility that it's the tank or feed to the in-line electric pump.

It doesn't seem to be a fuel problem like a pinhole or seeping line with the amount of diesel it's dumping on my driveway so besides checking my glass balls, I still don't know what I broke....butt I know I'm not alone.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM Thesaurus

I'm almost certain I figured out why the TM's aren't loved by all men.......

We're flipping through the troubleshooting section and they tell me to "Check for Hubbies".....indicating leakage... Not sure why I haven't read that before but if we're checking for hubbies it's indicating a lot more than leakage......that's funny. Equality in the TM's.

Who else spotted this?

Injection Pump troubleshooting
""""4. Check for hubbies, indicating leakage, after 10 minutes. If there is no leakage, reduce air"""""""

Not sure why the pictures dropped in the last post but the first one is more significant after Paris. 13/11/15

Long Live Paris'

cel 013.jpg

As per the TM's we'll be pulling a glow plug, cranking and looking for spray......bubbles next.

cel 020.jpgcel 024.jpgcel 023.jpg

Last edited:

tim292stro

I'm interested to hear your compression/leak-down test results.

Does it not fire on any cylinders or not on a few cylinders?

You mention an electric fuel pump - is the original mechanical pump gone?

Is there any return fuel from the injector lines?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're not hearing it fire on any cylinders and now she wants to be hauled to a warm shop with a 10' door to check on injectors, LP lift pump and finally injector pump. I'm curious about compression as well but hoping the problem is much simpler.

It does appear that fuel is getting to the injectors so pulling a glow plug and watching for mist will help eliminate injectors as a problem. Taking Push to a shop with tools prepared for swollen plugs, pulling intakes and IP's is the right thing to do at this stage.

A discussion about pump timing came up and I'm learning that the IP grabs fuel and shoves it down to the injector at the exact time the piston comes up to squeeze it for the big bang.....Spray, squeeze, Bang and blow.

The non-start issue, I now understand, is because it was loosing 'Prime' and there's only a couple of reasons for that so I'm way closer to listening to the harmonic sound of the 6.2 again.

The lift pump is still in place so we're also going to by-pass that to eliminate it as a problem. It ran for a long time with the additional electric pump/ lift pump combo so we'll keep working until we figure it out.

Here's a cool diesel for dummies link that includes pictures to describe Diesel Engine Injectors that I found very helpful.

http://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-articles/diesel-injector-diagnosis/

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 fuel mileage

The M1010 gets the best fuel mileage with this add on. A dually with a 22' trailer.

cel 013.jpg

It's time to haul old Push to a barn with a 10' door, heat and a better mechanic. The sun was shining yesterday when we loaded and hit the bank to pay for the next round of MVestment but the weather turned a wee nasty overnight.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...monton-commuters-with-double-whammy-1.3326387

It's about 40 miles out to my repair facility of choice and although I miss driving the M1010 in the snow, the 'add on' is the best investment for ice road trucking.

PB190594.jpg

I'm going to find the time to help the mechanic diagnose the 1010 and will update just how easy my 6.2 is to troubleshoot.:whistle:

He pulled out his Glow Plug adapter for a compression test so we'll have those numbers next week.

I got distracted by the 1942 Canadian CMP in the pic and realized that I may need to attend the WW11 vehicles anonymous meeting tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks