• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Adventures

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canada CMP

You should be owning that CMP if the rest of it is there.

It turns out that the sweet, kind, gentleman who will be stuck fixing the M1010 needed a hand with that very CMP ownership addiction you mention......It's not often a guy gets to see 2 in the mirrors so he took your advice, thank you.

PB200640.jpg

I kinda feel like the uncle that gets to hang around the cool kids but when it comes time to pay for it, I can slide out the door.

We picked up 2 sassy CMP's today and one of them is the Ford Canada CMP so we'll get to see that come to life. I doubt the owner will have time to post a thread about these so I'll update once work begins.

PB200624.jpgPB200625.jpg

A few pics.

PB200623.jpgPB200599.jpgPB200627.jpgPB200626.jpgPB200637.jpgPB200639.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raining M1010's

As it turns out my mechanic of choice went to an auction over a decade ago and took pictures of my M1010 with the big #2 on the back......small world.

m101022.jpg m1010orig2.jpg

One of the 1010's still had the light, siren, stretchers, body bags and IV waiting on the floor. Thought you kids would enjoy the pictures.

mwh1.jpgmwh.jpgm1010wh1.jpgm1010wh.jpgm1010orig.jpgm1010 original.jpg

.......one of them came from North bay so I added the tunnel tour for fun.

mwhlab.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRvPPnHMsyE

tim292stro

There are a couple of recent threads we walked people through the glow plug system. Definitely read the TMs but the threads will help you get a picture in your mind about the glow system issues.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV add ons

There are a couple of recent threads we walked people through the glow plug system. Definitely read the TMs but the threads will help you get a picture in your mind about the glow system issues.
These last two posts were real helpful and you not only have a good understanding of this, you're a darn good teacher too.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ot-Start/page6
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...han-Ever/page4

The theory thread is a visual breakdown which helps map out the path things are supposed to take.......

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...y-of-Operation

In part, all the add-ons.....Cigarette lighter, dome light, back up alarm with switch, trans cooler with switch, brake controller, stereo, gauges, tach, intermittent wiper, steering column....need to be cleaned up and added to 'our' TM.

The TM's don't cover this mess........but we're sorting it out.

PB220656.jpgPB220661.jpgPB220655.jpgPB220654.jpg

C15TA

My daughter went to school in North Bay and then lived there for a while so I knew of the underground complex but didn't realize it was that extensive. How deep does it go? I remember it was a major NORAD base for the USAF and the RCAF and it was going to be the first target for the Soviet bombers on their way to Washington.
Barry

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sftpoctmv

After turning down several offers to unknown buyers, my personal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Military Vehicles ...the SFTPOCTMV... found the right buyer. Push the 1010 will continue her adventures and still be a part of the parade route.

I'm hoping to get these boys signed up on Steel Soldiers so they can keep the pictures coming. She left with 37880km on the OD and I aged about 10 years when she drove away.

My first MV, although in good hands, is missed already. Any tips or stories on getting over the sale of your first MV are greatly appreciated. All I can come up with is buying new shingles for the garage but there must be a better way to get over myself.

1010 cel bye 002.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After turning down several offers to unknown buyers, my personal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Military Vehicles ...the SFTPOCTMV... found the right buyer. Push the 1010 will continue her adventures and still be a part of the parade route.

I'm hoping to get these boys signed up on Steel Soldiers so they can keep the pictures coming. She left with 37880km on the OD and I aged about 10 years when she drove away.

My first MV, although in good hands, is missed already. Any tips or stories on getting over the sale of your first MV are greatly appreciated. All I can come up with is buying new shingles for the garage but there must be a better way to get over myself.

View attachment 616867

First one.ALWAYS has a spot in your heart, no matter where she may go!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The adventure continues. Hopefully this post will encourage a few CUCV owners to crawl under the trucks and check out their wiring....after their landscaper puts the starter in. I am certainly no mechanic.

The phone rings shortly after Push drove away. The 15 mile trip north of Edmonton was flawless, the new owner was very happy. The chase truck driver thought he saw a puff of smoke a few miles out of town but Push kept going. When they arrived at the new home they shut her off. When they went to start her again she would only click. After lifting the hood they found some "Hot" wires and the post missing off one of my....their... expensive/ new batteries. That's when I got the first call.

I have spare batteries so as I began to load my truck, the phone rang again. They crawled underneath and found the starter wire had scrubbed something. I was the last one to touch that wire when I put the starter in so I took ownership of the problem....and thought I might get her back.

These guys are the coolest, hard driving, mud mashing, truck loving gents a guy could ever meet and they headed off to pick up new wires before I got there. They tried to convince me that it was just a fluke and the 30 year old wire hid from me when I put the starter in. I touched that wire last but have no idea how I missed any previous damage on it so again, owned the problem. We dropped in the new battery, replaced the burnt wire on top and they had moved the starter wire out of the way.

Push fired up just like she did her first 4 years with me and they refused to give it back. It could have been a very expensive and even dangerous lesson for all of us but their calm heads of experience simply solved the problem.

It's tough to swallow those mistakes so I hope someone else can learn from this. Have certified mechanics check your work if you're not sure what you're doing. Many thanks to Don and Barry for walking this rookie through another 1010 adventure.

P4091277.jpgP4091278.jpgP4091275.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The adventure continues. Hopefully this post will encourage a few CUCV owners to crawl under the trucks and check out their wiring....after their landscaper puts the starter in. I am certainly no mechanic.

The phone rings shortly after Push drove away. The 15 mile trip north of Edmonton was flawless, the new owner was very happy. The chase truck driver thought he saw a puff of smoke a few miles out of town but Push kept going. When they arrived at the new home they shut her off. When they went to start her again she would only click. After lifting the hood they found some "Hot" wires and the post missing off one of my....their... expensive/ new batteries. That's when I got the first call.

I have spare batteries so as I began to load my truck, the phone rang again. They crawled underneath and found the starter wire had scrubbed something. I was the last one to touch that wire when I put the starter in so I took ownership of the problem....and thought I might get her back.

These guys are the coolest, hard driving, mud mashing, truck loving gents a guy could ever meet and they headed off to pick up new wires before I got there. They tried to convince me that it was just a fluke and the 30 year old wire hid from me when I put the starter in. I touched that wire last but have no idea how I missed any previous damage on it so again, owned the problem. We dropped in the new battery, replaced the burnt wire on top and they had moved the starter wire out of the way.

Push fired up just like she did her first 4 years with me and they refused to give it back. It could have been a very expensive and even dangerous lesson for all of us but their calm heads of experience simply solved the problem.

It's tough to swallow those mistakes so I hope someone else can learn from this. Have certified mechanics check your work if you're not sure what you're doing. Many thanks to Don and Barry for walking this rookie through another 1010 adventure.

View attachment 616924View attachment 616925View attachment 616926
Really is humbling to realize how much energy is contained within our electrical systems in these trucks. I mean, if it could do that to a battery post, imagine what else it could do. Glad everyone, including the truck, is alright. =). Honorable that you were willing to stand behind what happened!! Some would have said, "sold and done".......

tim292stro

Remember that most DC arc welders are in the 100-200 Amp range and are at low voltage (6-24V). Your starting battery with 600+ CCA at 12V is right in that window - with a pair of 6TLs, 100Amp alternators, and 24V you should have no problem fusing steel continuously for a few hours...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vs7WCtRWE

Makes safety glasses around two blocks of lead, that can generate explosive hydrogen gas, with that much energy waiting for the first "easy out" - seem like a no-brainer right? [thumbzup]

MountieM1010

View attachment 616924View attachment 616925View attachment 616926
Dave is a very modest person. We never even entertained the thought that it was his fault or of returning Push. :grd:. But he insisted it was. I bought him a Tim Hortons coffee so thats what he got instead of the keys back. We've since become friends and I've had the pleasure of visiting his farm. He is very dedicated to these old military vehicles and a credit to this site.

Hornet Driver

No lights work.

I have checked every fuse and all is in order.
1.No fuel gauge.
2.Spot light on roof not working.
3.No dash lights.
4.No interior lights in the back work.
5.No B/O lights working.

What does work.
1.Side spot lights
2.Running and headlights.

97000km came from 22 Wing. Sask reg in 2006aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks