• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 for my daughter the field biologist

jpg

I'm an MV newbie looking for advice.

My daughter is a field biologist. She spends weeks at a time out in the wilderness gathering samples. She mostly studies the microorganisms in fresh-water systems. They usually drive until they can drive no further, then they canoe, ski, showshoe and/or hike until they reach the area they're to study. She needs a serious 4wd vehicle she can use as a base of operations.

She's also an EMT and working on her Wilderness First Responder certification.

I've been reading up on what it would take to make an M1010 reliable and roadworthy. Bigger tires, better fuel pump, and electrical upgrades seem the norm.

I've seen lots of threads where people rip the guts out of the box and start to turn them into expedition vehicles. Those folks always seem to abandon the project for some reason or another. I'm inclined to leave the box as-is. It's just a warm dry place to sleep, that offers better protection from predators and the elements than a tent.

Would I be better advised to just get a good 4wd pickup and put a camper in the bed? I like the idea of her being able to pass between the cab and the rear without going outside. A 4wd motor home costs as much as a house. That seems silly.

You guys know these vehicles. Would an M1010 be a good choice for her? Are they available? Is there a shop or mechanic that works on them and can make one reliable?

(A deuce would be way too much vehicle for her.)

Thanks,
-jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, although the trucks are super capable (MVs) if it were my Daughter I would get a newer 4x4 and improve it for her. Tires, shocks, winches (front and back), suspension, heavy duty alternator and lights.

Would a CUCV do the job? Yes, but at the end of the day you are driving a 30-year old vehicle.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If she has little mechanical ability/skills, I'd say no.

If she is a fairly confident mechanic with a decent understanding of DC electric, then yes.

Sounds like a winch is needed as well.

hklvette

You might look into a 4WD van, or convert used van-based RV to 4WD.

Regardless of what you do, definitely get front and rear winches. In addition, make ground stakes to make self-recovery in areas without anchor points possible.

teletech

I'm going to throw in a vote for a Unimog or Pinzgaur here.
Harder to get parts for but much newer, more capable, and more space. Get the 6x6 hardtop Pinz. and you have most of the offroad capability of a deuce for much less bulk. A Stewart & Stevenson or DAF might be a good choice as well. Would amphibious be a big asset, then look at a nice Stolly for more 6x6 goodness.
I think my main point is that the US MV design mindset looks from a particular perspective which may well not be ideal for your needs so looking at other makes could serve you very well.

If you don't mind the delay in delivery, I'd suggest looking at Millweb because the dollar is doing well against other currencies just now.

If your heart is set on US, what about a good-ol M37 (M43 ambulance for the enclosed body)? Oh, I know it's ancient but so simple it's cost effective to get a really nice one set up and have faith in it that way.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

P_

jpg

I'm going to throw in a vote for a Unimog or Pinzgaur here.
Harder to get parts for but much newer, more capable, and more space. Get the 6x6 hardtop Pinz. and you have most of the offroad capability of a deuce for much less bulk. A Stewart & Stevenson or DAF might be a good choice as well. Would amphibious be a big asset, then look at a nice Stolly for more 6x6 goodness.
I think my main point is that the US MV design mindset looks from a particular perspective which may well not be ideal for your needs so looking at other makes could serve you very well.

If you don't mind the delay in delivery, I'd suggest looking at Millweb because the dollar is doing well against other currencies just now.

If your heart is set on US, what about a good-ol M37 (M43 ambulance for the enclosed body)? Oh, I know it's ancient but so simple it's cost effective to get a really nice one set up and have faith in it that way.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

P_
Thanks. I took another look at the Pinzgauer/Haflinger. They're viable options, though the lack of a front crumple zone is a bit worrisome. She wouldn't be comfortable driving anything much bigger than a full size pickup with a camper on the back, so the S&S, DAF, and Stolly are much too big. Though a smaller version of the Stolly would be way cool. You inspired me to go look at DUCKWs too, but they're really too big for her lifestyle. Unimogs are cool, but very expensive. I could get a new 4wd Tiger motorhome for the price of a used Unimog.

I looked at millweb, and I'll keep an eye on it. I'm not in a big hurry.

This vehicle will see time on the interstate, and time as far off road as it can go. I'm reluctant to get something new and shiny, because she needs to be comfortable taking it deep in the bush.

I did make inquiries about a diesel 6x6 hardtop Pinz. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice,
-jpg

turnkey

Try the M37 with new upgrades...Like V-8 and bigger tires...some are out there for sale at a cheap price...Or you could go with a S&S M-1079 rig 2.5 ton and has a cat engine..they are on the GL list of thing for sale out of Alt,Ga. But she has the final say best of luck on this one...

Whiterabbit

I personally don't like having my home also my transportation. It suxs having to pack up your home to just run into town for provisions or run down the trail. A small Expedition (I sooo hate that word) style popup trailer I feel is a better setup. Drag it in, drop it and now you have a home/base station and your vehicle is free to hit the trails.
Since I'm biased, I'd set up an M151A2 with a modified off road trailer/hooch. The M151A2 is very capable off road and is a dream in tight spots and narrow trails which makes it great for deep in the woods treks. Put a snorkel kit on it and you won't need a canoe! LOL!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Try the M37 with new upgrades...Like V-8 and bigger tires...some are out there for sale at a cheap price...Or you could go with a S&S M-1079 rig 2.5 ton and has a cat engine..they are on the GL list of thing for sale out of Alt,Ga. But she has the final say best of luck on this one...
For this operation, I WOULD NOT go to a m1078 or its variants because of the SUPER trick, crappy electoral system , and the crappy bumper which offers NO front protection, also the lower front skid plate offers NO protection for the lower radiator tank and the trans. cooler

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you were to see a halflinger in person, you'd realize its not big enough to do what you want. They are also scarce, so that makes them expensive.

michael757767

No Offense as I love these trucks, but I'd but a new as you can 1 ton, and equip it with as lots of what these fellows said, winches, etc, and whatever gear she may need. Also a sat phone in case she gets stuck where there is no coverage to "phone home". All the equipment in the world won't matter one bit if your daughter doesn't know how to get herself un stuck, or recover her own vehicle. If shes going to places that are so far off the road that a billy goat can't travel, then all you can do is give her the best options and teach her how to use and employ them. Just my opinion and I have a daughter in Alaska, so I do know a little!:)

paradeduty

My 2 Cents - Like the rest of the guys, I love the MV's, but they can be a bit maintenance hungry and as they are older, not the definition of dependable. If it were my daughter and I HAD to get her an MV, I would probably end up going all the way through it so I wouldn't worry about her - and by that time she might be done with her certifications! I like the earlier idea someone had of a 4 wheel drive van. To take that a step further and possibly incorporate your idea about the cab to rear passage ability, you might want to check into the 4x4 pickup or cut-away van based ambulances. I thin quigley does a bunch of these. A friend of mine ordered a regular 1 ton ford window van with their 4wd conversion a bit ago and loved it. Anyways, you may be able to land one of those used ambulances and convert the back into a camper. Most likely will already have a heavy duty engine, charging system, suspension, lights galore on the outside. Probably already have a cot and cabinets inside! Just jack it up if necessary and give it sume more aggressive tires. Stick on a winch or two for just in case and you could be good to go.

Dave

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would want my daughters in a modern, newer SUV that is more RELIABLE than your typical 30 year old Chevrolet, or other old MV. You can put better tires on it and a winch and show her how to use it. A little instruction on off road driving will keep her out of trouble so she knows where she should not try to go.

I have had very capable 4x4s over the years and managed to stick them all. But 15 years ago when my wife and I spent the summer running around the BLM lands in NM with a 1988 Toyota 4runner, I was very careful not to get stuck in the middle of no where and we had no problems and a great time.

Common sense and tutoring in off road driving will help her more than the best MV.

jpg

Since I'm biased, I'd set up an M151A2 with a modified off road trailer/hooch.
Thanks for the recommendation.

She does a lot of interstate travel to get to the areas she studies. Here's the scenario that makes your approach not my preference for her:
Young woman driving alone in the middle of nowhere has to pull over for the night for some reason, maybe weather, maybe tired, whatever. Rather than spend time looking for a safe hotel, I'd like her to be able to pull over somewhere, preferably civilized like a truck stop or all night diner, and just go in the back and go to sleep. I realize locked in a vehicle is not 100% safe, but there are worse alternatives. Not having to go outside to get to the bed is a big plus in my mind.

steelypip

I'd also tend toward a newish SUV over a retired MV. Probably the only MVs that would be both sufficiently reliable and fast enough on the road would be CUCV IIs, and they're rather rare. I'd pick a cousin to a good hunting truck: something like a Toyota 4runner or Dodge Ramcharger. If it's on the same chassis as a truck, you should be able to get appropriate offroad parts for it. Smaller size and shorter wheelbase makes them easier to manage in the bush, and they're still big enough to make a decent bed in, and to stock necessary stuff for a trip into the woods.

Fuel economy would be better, cruising speed would be higher, parts and mechanics would be more readily available. Unless she's happy with a wrench in her hand, I'd steer her away from any MV - Their most reliable years are behind them by the time they are surplused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks