• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 somebody talk me down

riggermedic

I have an M1010 that I am currently gutting and would like to solicit some opinions on insulation.
I have been buying a lot from an auction in vegas to transform this into an RV.
I bought this cabinet to serve as clothes and food storage. I like the flip up top for a countertop and cook surface for a propane camp stove.
cab2.jpgcabnet.jpg
I bought a field portable scrub sink to use as a sink… obviously
sink.jpg
I scored 5 field deployable hospital beds with mattresses and plan on trying my hand at some fold down bunk beds along the side.
bed.jpg
But back to the original question on insulation. This truck has been hacked by a search and rescue group so I began by stripping out all the old rat eaten bug infested insulation and of course drilling the 9,965 rivets attaching the inner skin. A complete rewire will be needed.
I originally thought of spray foam insulation, but am hesitant as I have never used it and seems to be a less modifiable choice if I need to add wiring or plumbing at a later date. I considered dynamat, but that is awfully pricy.
Then I stumbled onto 26 panels of vehicular thermal insulation made by general dynamics. It is a 4 foot by 4 foot panel of aluminum covered foam with a peel and stick adhesive backing.
therm2.jpgtherm1.jpg
I think this will work for the outermost layer against the inside of the skin of the ambulance box.
I don’t think it would benefit by stacking multiple layers of this? any thoughts or opinions?
I am also open to a foam board type insulation but have not really priced this option out.
Another thought in keeping with the all military theme is to stack some old PT mats (sleeping mats) and making my own foam boards from these. Any thoughts/ opinions?
mat.jpg

joshuak

Good scores on your equipment!

I used polyisocyanurate foam board from HD, here. Covering the ribs or studs is important IMO, they'll allow undersired for heat transfer even if you fill the space between them.

Build thread.

chevymike

Man that is looking great. This is what I am needing to do on mine but want to strip mine down when I am a little closer to actually building out the back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks