• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 stuck in the mud.

MadWooter

I thought the ambulance ones had a posi in the front and a Detroit locker in the rear. The Detroit should've kept the wheels from spinning differently, so that's weird. Does it ever jerk or shudder when powering around a tight corner? My M1008 does, so I'm fairly certain it's locker is in order.

Awesome mess though. Gotta love mud.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the intermediate support tm (TM 9-2320-289-34) it shows the only locking axle as the rear of a 1009. All of the rest are labeled as no spin. The 1028 and varients are no-spin front and rear, I thought my 1028 had a limited slip up front. Plus what is a two-pinion, and four-pinion axle? I am completely confused.:-? Hopefully someone can shed light on this. Thanks

Matt

MadWooter

uscgmatt, I think the tm just has strange descriptions of things. All of the pickup-truck type vehicles (all but M1009) have a Detroit "No-spin" locker in the rear. It is an automatic locker, and under power makes sure that each wheel spins at least as fast as the carrier. At least that's how I understand it. Some of the heavier vehicles also have a limited-slip (clutch based, I think) front differential. The M1009 has another type of automatic locker, the "Gov-Lok," which operates on an entirely different mechanism from the Detroit. I think it has some sort of centripetal motion thing which locks it up when a certain speed difference is reached between the two wheels. This is what I have found, and this is what's on Wikipedia. Therefore it has to be true.:razz:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the 1028s have a Spicer power-lok in the front. Its a clutch type posi unit that uses 4 spiders. The other Spicer posi is called a trac-lock which is also a s clutch type unit but has only 2 spiders. MadWooter was right on the money with his rear axle descriptions. For those who don't quite understand the Detroit NoSpin, check out TM 9-8000. It's got real good descriptions of how lots of things work. It's a big download but worth having. I have it on disc and paper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks