• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 brake parts

McGuyver

I've got some springs, and adjusting screw, and other miscellaneous brake parts I need to replace on my M101A2 axle. Does anyone know If these trailers had some of these parts in common with the M1008? Since the M1008 was essentially just a Chevy 3/4 ton truck, I'm hoping that some of these parts are available at a local Auto parts store. If I am correct in this assumption, what year range of chevy truck should I be looking for? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to look up the part numbers in the TM.

Then google them with "parttarget".

That will give you manufacturers names and manufacturers part numbers.

Also, a bit of searching on this site may find what you need, you're not the first I'm sure.

McGuyver

So once I've found the manufacturer, then what? Contact them and get a part number? Is that the same number listed in the TM? Will an auto parts store be able to look that number up?

By the way, I have already looked up the NSN and mfr PN for the parts, just not sure how to cross reference them over to a commercial Auto parts number.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parttarget will give you a manufactures name and part number.

Google that if you want to use the internet, or find a retailer that sell the brand of part.

Post the info here, for help and reference.

McGuyver

brake parts M101A2.png
here's the parts I'm looking for.

Item NSN Part No. Description qty
2 5315010791494 11686273 PIN,TOGGLE,HEADED................2
11 5360003840025 11686270 SPRING,HELICAL,EXTE...............1
13 2530010709494 11686257 SCREW,ADJUSTING...................1
16 5340010686693 11686275 RETAINER,HELICAL CO...............2
17 5360010880552 11686274 SPRING,HELICAL,COMP.............2

Saturn Surplus doesn't have them. Eastern Surplus doesn't have them in their warehouse, but are checking for me to see if they can source them.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the info for the first item.

http://www.parttarget.com/5315-01-0...73.html/-4240A240-CBD9-4AD5-A7E0-E4F9FC5651E8

Unfortunately the manufacturer is not a common bussiness that will have a stock of parts available.

The good, the info needed to source one is there, but you're gonna have to match it up somehow.

Finding surplus parts is yur best bet for that item.

Try the rest.

You may be better off swapping your axle.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are not chevy/GM parts what so ever.

These are common dexter commercial trailer brake parts.

2 suppliers I like to use are croft and etrailer. They should be able to help you not by the m101 designation but hydraulic brakes for 11? diameter brake drum with 11x2 shoes. Notice I don't have a clue what size they are off hand but measure and check out their website and call their tech line #'s

McGuyver

Yeah, I noticed that several of the parts have "Dexter" cast into them. Good to know. Are any of the surge brake parts (master cylinder, etc.) available through Dexter?

McGuyver

Something I noticed: even though these trailers are rated for around 3590 lbs, the axles seem to be much heavier than that. Are these closer to a 7000 lb axle? The Dexter backing plate listed in the other thread seemed to indicate that...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I noticed that several of the parts have "Dexter" cast into them. Good to know. Are any of the surge brake parts (master cylinder, etc.) available through Dexter?

Yes, The surge is all commercial parts now made by balcrank. I know croft carries as I got my parts from them for the surge unit.

McGuyver

Do you remember which Assembly part number you ordered? Seems as though there are many options available...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

McGuyver

Does the M101A2 use the 6,000 or 7,000 lb lunnette?
Also, you said the surge actuator was made by balcrank, but these links suggest Mendenhall Industries. So which is it?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the M101A2 use the 6,000 or 7,000 lb lunnette?
Also, you said the surge actuator was made by balcrank, but these links suggest Mendenhall Industries. So which is it?

I think the company has flipped several times. I think they started as Toledo then balcrank and now must be someone else. But these are the critters.
https://www.mendenhallindustries.com/about-us.html

Not sure on weight as I ordered a shock and the link nylon bushings and it did not matter. I think the lunettes are interchangeable as there are various styles of couplers for this unit but most are pricey.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks