• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2... brake...slam...skid...slam...skid

McGuyver

It’s for overall hardness of the steel is my understanding.
Its heat treated differently.
The shear strength is improved along with the tensile strength.

Grade 10 isn’t usually carried by the box stores but that’s a bit overkill anyway.
Not so. SAE J429 grade 5 and grade 8 both receive the same heat treatment, being quenched and tempered at 800°F. Both have medium carbon content (.28-.55) as well as max limits for phosphorus (.030%max) and sulfur (.050%max) however grade 8 is an alloy steel (with addition of some alloying elements such as chromium, nickel, molybdenum, vanadium, or manganese) whereas grade 5 is plain carbon steel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't imagine the damper shock going up over 100% in price in the last 4 years. Holy cow! That's some serious inflation. I bought one from eTrailers for $60 (4 years ago) to replace one Gimpy loaned me.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not so. SAE J429 grade 5 and grade 8 both receive the same heat treatment, being quenched and tempered at 800°F. Both have medium carbon content (.28-.55) as well as max limits for phosphorus (.030%max) and sulfur (.050%max) however grade 8 is an alloy steel (with addition of some alloying elements such as chromium, nickel, molybdenum, vanadium, or manganese) whereas grade 5 is plain carbon steel.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ok
Good to know

MarcusOReallyus

Grade 5 isn’t strong enough if trailers heavy.
Others have done that and it bent the bolt.
Making removal a total nightmare.
Several threads about it.
I've done it. Not fun. Went grade 8, no more problem.

Gotta fix it right one of these days, but life keeps getting in the way.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
59E97FBE-451A-4670-9E43-CDC26E760AA3.jpg7937ABAE-83AC-48F9-8BA4-F407B7E1AABA.jpg
I lucked out and found a NOS assembly for not much more than a new shock by itself.
It arrived today.
Will install next week on tan M101A2

5E134C9E-EEAC-4EED-A39F-D5A2047DFBE9.jpg
Good timing as a new well house is heavier than it looks.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stumbled across it on eBay while looking for a new shock.
Was getting ready to order a new shock from Croft and wanted to do one more search.
I searched using “surge brake” and there it was.
It wasn’t listed as for the M101A2/3.

Very happy as this is a $400+ Unit. I got it for less than $190 shipped.
I was going to order from Croft a new shock, nylon bushings, and master cylinder.
Now I don’t need to.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
I have an m101a2 that I tow with my m1009. I haven’t done much work on it so I haven’t spent much time in this section of the forum so I’d like to ask about my problem with the surge brake. When braking it skids and slams back into the truck over and over until I stop. Is this something that needs to be adjusted or is it the sign of a bad part?
Did you ever get a replacement shock?

tobyS

I've been wondering about using a spring in conjunction with the shock so that it doesn't apply until there is enough force to overcome the spring. Like for backing with a light load.

While looking for alternatives for the OEM shock, I find there are some mini-bike types with coil over that are about the right length. But of course fitting into the housing may be an issue. My original thought was to add a spring outside, not part of the shock.

Any ideas?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the spring that’s already in there, would it be too much force and not activate brakes as it should?

DD92EC3B-0301-4211-B055-87BA269FA453.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

I guess I'll have to take mine apart. I didn't know there was a spring inside it. I want to extend the tongue so now is the time to make any changes.

tobyS

Edit....I see mine from my 1101 is different from the above surge brake so the comment I made (below) is for the different style and may not apply.

I've posted up some pictures of the surge brake for an M1101;

www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?163598-What-did-you-do-to-your-trailer-today

Mine had bent parts (the MC mount and plunger flat bar) that once straight, tightened it up considerably. Note axles of an 1101 and 1102 do have the "free backing" feature.

Last edited:

Renegade360

I also had this issue of a bad shock. The one I removed was a Monroe unit. It was smaller in diameter than the replacement 1844-2 from Croft. The new unit doesn't quit fit the rear bolt holes. I'm going to have to grind the rear shock mounting holes up a quarter of an inch to get this thing to work right.

Renegade360

Ended up only having to grind the rear mount hole about an eighth of an inch. Bolt went in and dragged the trailer 600 miles from NC to IN without any issues.

Well I've got it all done but one of the shafts was weak and broke when I was removing the nut. Ive found the NSN and part number in the TM but I'm having a hard time locating a replacement. Was hoping to take the trailer camping with the kids Friday after thanksgiving. Any help locating one asap would be greatly appreciated.
Part number 1829
NSN 2540-01-051-6354
image1.jpg