• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 tire options?

michigan4x4

Guys...

I have searched the site and cant find an answer to my question. I am looking at getting new tires for my M101a2 and weighing my options. If I am not mistaken It has the 16" wheels that are 6.5" wide (8 lug). It currently wears the 235/85/16 stock tires. I want to try and get the trailer a bit lower by using a shorter tire on the 16 " wheel. Something like a 75 or even a 65. What tire size(s) would fit on the narrow stock wheels safely? My tow vehicle wears 31X10.5X15. I would like to get a matching tread pattern for the trailer but am unsure what my options would be considering the 6.5" wheel!!

Here is what the manufacturer of my truck tires offers

265/75/16
or
285/75/16

I think I may need a wider wheel. If so, which GM wheels should I be looking at? I know the wheels on these trailers are hub centric. So if I wanted a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel would this work on my trailer and if so, which GM steel wheels should I look at?

Thanks for the help guys...
Jeff

bullfrog1234

you can get a humvee wrangler tires, those work really well. Do you have super lugs on it now. Those are very good tires. I saw some ND tires avertised for sale from several vendors.

Ressoldier

You really need to use a tire size calculator like this one. Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

a 235/85/16 = 32(31.7)x9.25 recommended 6-7 rim
265/70/16= 31(30.6)x10.50 recommended 7-9 rim
265/75/16= 32(31.6)x10.50 recommended 7-9 rim
285/75/16= 33(32.8)x11.25 recommended 7.5-9.5 rim
245/75/16= 31(30.4)x 9.50 recommended 6.5-7.5 rim

Use the calculator but your best bets are going to be 225-255 range tire that will be safe to use on your 6.5 in wide rim.

235= tread width in MM
85 = aspect ratio of sidewall height as percentage of tread width in this case the sidewall is 85% as tall as the tread is wide
16= rim size.

Hope this helps. Also here is a thread on page two of this section that talks about rim size. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/74057-rmi-size-101a2-trailer.html

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Finding 8 lug wide Chevy wheels is a difficult task.
There is a recent thread that a member purchased a M1008 from Alfa Heaven with wide wheels.
If it were me, I'd look on Craigs List for steel wheel take offs.

bullfrog1234

you may check out your local scrap yards, like a -(you pull it off place), maybe pennys on the dollar. You never know what the local scrap yard may have, but if you find one besure and buy a lottery ticket before you get home.

michigan4x4

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the help. Yeah... Maybe I need to look for wider rims.. I would like to get a 265 tire under the trailer if possible but am not sure if I can use the stock 6.5" wheels. Need to start searching for new wheels I guess!!

Thanks
Jeff

michigan4x4

Thanks again....

Are there any specific years of GM vehicles that I should be looking for that have the same hub size , same lug pattern, yet wider wheels? 7" would be fine.. 8" would be better but I am sure they are hard to fine. What about tires rubbing on frame. I dont have the trailer here at my place, it is at my brothers house....

Thanks
Jeff

Ressoldier

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the help. Yeah... Maybe I need to look for wider rims.. I would like to get a 265 tire under the trailer if possible but am not sure if I can use the stock 6.5" wheels. Need to start searching for new wheels I guess!!

Thanks
Jeff
You should be fine with a 265 on a 6.5. Each tire manufacturer has different recommened rim widths, and sometimes even vary same size but different model.

michigan4x4

You should be fine with a 265 on a 6.5. Each tire manufacturer has different recommened rim widths, and sometimes even vary same size but different model.

Recommended = safe
Possible = pushing the limit.....

I would hate to have to buy new wheels...
could I squeeze a 265 on a 6.5 " wheel without having the side walls budge out ridiculously

harleyhouse

I have matching chrome 16" GMC rims with 235-85-16 hankooks.
The rims are 6.5 wide and the tires measure out at 31" They are a street tread.

There is 3" of space between the frame and sidewall of the tire
9" from the tread to the wheel lip, but the tire will stuff into the wheel well more.

There are 215-85-16 tires out there but you are looking for a matching tire?
What about a spring over conversion? That would lower the trailer and only take a couple hours to do?

Corrected "Spring under"

Attachments

Last edited:

Ratch

What about a spring over conversion? That would lower the trailer and only take a couple hours to do?

Has anyone ever tried that? I took measurements to do that on my M116a3, but found the reduced axle-to-frame clearance would really reduce the payload. I've found 2000lbs of gravel in the bed lowers the trailer a few inches.

If someone's successfully done that, I would love to see how they did it. I'd also like to lower my trailers, the height of them is really the only negative thing I've found in the M101. I even like the pintle better than a ball hitch now...

Edit: btw, my avatar pic is my old M101a1 just *not* fitting in the garage by 1 inch...

Preacherboy

Any junk yard or clist will probably have lots of chevy 8 lug wheels. They should all be the same. I want to get some that are just like what my suburban has and then have all the same tires and wheels all the way around the entire truck...that way you always have extra spares.

harleyhouse

I don't see why a axle over spring set up would not work.
The only change would be to place the axle abobe the spring, My trailer has perches on the top and bottom.
Place the shock mount under the spring and reuse the original shock.

Preacher boy, what style of wheels are you looking for?
Here is my M101A2 with matching wheels.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonotagain

I don't see why a axle over spring set up would not work.
The only change would be to place the axle abobe the spring, My trailer has perches on the top and bottom.
Place the shock mount under the spring and reuse the original shock.

Preacher boy, what style of wheels are you looking for?
Here is my M101A2 with matching wheels.
Check how much clearance there is between the top of the spring perch and the frame.
Now measure the axle diameter. The answer will be very clear.

Mikey90744

you said something about GM wheels, FYI the GM 16" truck wheels are 6.5 wide, however 285s mounted on them arent a big deal, Ive had 2 trucks like that and you see them running around all the time. just FYI

Preacherboy

HH, the next style HD wheels are the ones that I will want...put I'd probably rather have the wheel that my spare is on because I don't want chrome on a military item if I can help it!

My planned tires for truck and trailer are 255/85r16 which is a 33" tire...tall and narrow. Unfortunately that particular tire is pricey and I want 8 of them! 4 tires for the truck, plus a spare...2 tires for the trailer, plus a spare. If I ever drive to Alaska this is what I will have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks