• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 tire options?

Ressoldier

The 255/85 isd the size I would love to run on my next set as well. I am currently running 285/75's and while they are nice I want to go a little skinnier and hopefully have a slightly lower rolling resistance. Unfortunatley budget looks like it is dictating another set of 285/75 AT's.

michigan4x4

The 255/85 isd the size I would love to run on my next set as well. I am currently running 285/75's and while they are nice I want to go a little skinnier and hopefully have a slightly lower rolling resistance. Unfortunatley budget looks like it is dictating another set of 285/75 AT's.

and you are planning to mount 285/75's on 6.5' wide wheels? wont you have quite a bit of sidewall bulge?

islandguydon

Romeo, I would go to Belle Tire in waterford, Steve there has 100s of good used rims and take offs from new vehicles. You could probably get a good set with an excellent load rating for under $100.00 balanced and installed out the door.Tell Steve what you want and he will fix you up. Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys...

I have searched the site and cant find an answer to my question. I am looking at getting new tires for my M101a2 and weighing my options. If I am not mistaken It has the 16" wheels that are 6.5" wide (8 lug). It currently wears the 235/85/16 stock tires. I want to try and get the trailer a bit lower by using a shorter tire on the 16 " wheel. Something like a 75 or even a 65. What tire size(s) would fit on the narrow stock wheels safely? My tow vehicle wears 31X10.5X15. I would like to get a matching tread pattern for the trailer but am unsure what my options would be considering the 6.5" wheel!!

Here is what the manufacturer of my truck tires offers

265/75/16
or
285/75/16

I think I may need a wider wheel. If so, which GM wheels should I be looking at? I know the wheels on these trailers are hub centric. So if I wanted a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel would this work on my trailer and if so, which GM steel wheels should I look at?

Thanks for the help guys...
Jeff
The trailer is pretty low already, how much lower do you want it?

Ressoldier

and you are planning to mount 285/75's on 6.5' wide wheels? wont you have quite a bit of sidewall bulge?
Michigan- I am running an 8" rim on my tow vehicle and plan on putting matching rims on the trailer. Yes putting a 285 o a 6.5 in rim will get you sidewall buldge but there are tons of people that do it all the time.

mrfishaholic

you can use ford/dodge wheels too, the lugs will pattern up (except late model ford) if you find an offset you like better. I prefer the chebby steel wheels, as I can just hit em with black paint when the rust comes out or whatever, and nobody is looking to steal them as they look like they are cheep if mounted to a steel rim.....[thumbzup]

Cummins guy

I have used a 225/75/16 E load range tire on mine when I want it to be lower & it works very well, the other tires sizes you have the 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 are both wider and the same height or taller.

epartsman

I have found on M116A3 Chassis that uses the same 8 lug pattern you can use Ford Econoline line wheels with or without the lip. These wheels are lug centered and work perfectly with the original lug nuts, Also any pre 1997 F250 or 350 wheel will work as well as I had 1995 8 lug full polished aluminum wheels on my trailer. These chassis are awesome as conversions are easy and parts are easily found. I was even able to mount an M105 bed and by welding on a couple of brackets and a little drilling made it bolt on the chassis so I could switch from flat bed gen to the large box. I have pics. Pitty I sold that one but I just bought another M101A2 on a M116A2 chassis to replace it. I missed being able to haul whatever I wanted where ever I wanted with a tilt bed to boot.

Last edited:

harleyhouse

epartsman:
Show me pictures of the polished ford rims and the 105 bed on the 116 frame.

I run the same rims as my 2002 GMC 2500HD
steel 8 bolt with stainless faces and a set of custom 9/16 x 18 nuts with 7/8 outside thread to bolt on the center caps. Found them on ebay.
235-85-16 Hankook tires from the truck when I bought new tires.

Attachments

harleyhouse

I like the look of the 105 tub on the wide axle frame.
The ford wheels look great! and lighter than steel by probably 40 pounds.
Is the tub wider than your BURB?

I like it!

Good choice on the taillights! I used that style too.
They are bright and big!

Attachments

Last edited:

epartsman

No actually it was maybe 1/2 inch larger on each side or less which made it easy to keep up with in the mirrors. I took off the wheels and tires and ended up trading it for some work I need done to my boat and like I said I missed having it so I bought this one which I am picking up monday at Warner Robbins AFB in Georgia. It has the canvas down in the bed from what I can see in the pics I have and maybe a set of bows if not I have a complete set of M101 bows that will fit it. I need the smaller bed and not as wide a track now cause my poop head for a neighbor didnt like me keeping it in my backyard so he extended his fence to make the 2 inches I need to go over onto his property to make the turn impossible. Now the jokes on him cause this one will fit regardless.

Attachments

harleyhouse

"I need the smaller bed and not as wide a track now cause my poop head for a neighbor didn't like me
keeping it in my backyard so he extended his fence."

My neighbor's love must love me! I keep mine in the front yard.
Though my trailer is nicer than any car they own!

Attachments

epartsman

Mine will stay in Camo to help keep it hidden. It will just get a touch up and replacement of the broken rails. I also have the crank up jack stand I am going to add. As to the taillights mine are even wired to the back up circuit in my Burb (Black out circuit on the trailer) and I have the aux power to the trailer wired as well. My Burb has the military 12 pin male connector and I use the military harness on the trailer. The Military lamps will light with the 12v sysytem so when I buy one all I have to do is hitch and go. I kept those lights and put it back military when traded so when I get the new one I will be able to plug and play with the Jeep lights. If I painted it like yours it really would draw alot of attention. Very nice, matches your truck. I also have a set of those wheels. How did you get the caps to fit as my lug nuts were not the same thread and those center caps are lug nut mounted?

Last edited:

harleyhouse

Ebay for the lug nuts they are 9/16' x 18 with a 7/8" duel thread.
They work out great and all match.

When I went to the auto parts store, I took one original lug nut from the trailer and truck to
match what I needed, walked to the display and tried it in the display stud.
one of the employees asked what it was for and I said " You won't have it"
He was persistent and said they have lug nuts for everything!

I said Ok, It is a 1990 M101A2 military trailer. He turned and walked away.
I am sure they would have had 9/16" lug nuts, but it would not have been in the computer listing.

Oros35

I run 315 70r16's (33 tall 12.5" wide) on stock chevy wheels. Yes they are a bit wide for the rims and have a good bulge but they work just fine.

Been on there for 30K miles and I often haul to the limit of the truck, 22K lbs combination with a goosekneck. They do just fine. Gotta rotate often cause it's not the best for tire wear, but no problems otherwise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks