• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 6.2 diesel to 454 swap

cucvdonk

how much did it cost ya doing this swap? I m considering it myself because of all the problems having with this 6.2.

POOR WHITE BOY

I bought the motor complete from a totaled truck 1994 model with 70k miles. $600.00. It was fuel injected motor so i changed it to a carb - bought intake,distributer,carb and i had to put electric fuel pump on it because 1994 454 engines did not have a fuel pump boss on the block. It had a sepentine belt kit on it but it was cheaper for me to buy a complete kit thru gm versus replacing/service items , belt,water pump , alt , 2 idler pulleys , tensioner, etc. I will post new photos very soon . I have less than $1,500.00 in it total - needs to go to the exhaust shop for connection at the engine - that should cost about $100 - as i already got an estimate. I would have already had it running but i had surgery and have not been able to work on it in 2.5 weeks. Stay tuned it will be complete soon

POOR WHITE BOY

I am going to leave the stock tire size on it for now . This truck will sit more than it gets used. That serpentine kit is just brackets to make a small block kit fit the big block. Small blocks are easy to find in the salvage yard with a serpentine kit on them. My motor had a kit already on it but for $540.00 it made sense to me to replace all and have new.

jeli

Small block, big block and 6.2 all have the same mounting. Any chev style auto or manual bell housing will fit. With 4.56's you can run any tire. I ran 33's with 3.08 gears with my 454 4 spd. 37" humvee tires might get into double digit gas mileage!!! I got 9 in town and 11 on the highway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PWB hasn't logged on since 2010. It's unlikely we'll be getting an update! I did see his puller going down the road on a trailer about 6 months ago so he's still around.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have to commence my own 454 swap. The mountains here all but kill off a 6.2, especially in an 8500# CUCV.

cucvrus

5.3 or 6.0 may be more modern wiser update. IMHO. Fuel injection improved power to weigh ratio. I just sold a 2013 Chevrolet wrecked cutaway with the entire driveline and it had a 6.0 in it with 17k on it. I was thinking about using the engine / transmission in an older truck but just passed it up and bought a new truck instead. Less hassle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5.3 or 6.0 may be more modern wiser update. IMHO. Fuel injection improved power to weigh ratio. I just sold a 2013 Chevrolet wrecked cutaway with the entire driveline and it had a 6.0 in it with 17k on it. I was thinking about using the engine / transmission in an older truck but just passed it up and bought a new truck instead. Less hassle.
I agree, on paper this makes more sense. In my fixed income world, the cost of the swap is only complicated by the need for a scan tool and complexity beyond my skills. A mild 454 for the little driving I do coupled with the simplicity of throttle body injection gets me where I need for a fraction of the cost. A new truck would also be ideal but not in the cards anymore. Heck, a turbo may suffice. We'll see what the future holds.

rustystud

I love my 383 Hi-Torque ( good fuel mileage) but it would be nice when towing the RV over the mountains to have more power. Also I have a carb, and fuel injection would be nice. For all the guys out there who worry about converting there CUCV just remember it still is just a basic Chevy truck with a few special modifications (like the 24 volt system) . So any Chevy engine will fit and work fine. The reason I bought mine in the first place was I could not afford a 1 ton dually truck for the prices they where selling for out here. The CUCV cost me $5,000.00 in a sealed bid from "GSA" and only had 24,000 original miles on it. I then spent the next 5 years converting it to a "civilian" truck. It has been a good dependable truck and I plan on giving it to my son when I am too old to drive it anymore ! He can then retrofit it with a "Fusion Drive" !

Davetheplumber

"Moose"
HOLY S&*T!!!

Just got back from the first good drive. AND WOW. Thats some real POWER. I can't believe the difference in torque. You could easy bust a differential or something. If I was 20 years old again I would need a second set of tires within the week.

I had to make a few mods to the throttle cable and wiring. Not to bad. Looks like I will get to work on the lighting system tomorrow PM and hopefully have everything done by Friday for a drive to work.

65-70MPH no problem. Cruising speed is 60 easy. Way cool.

I don't know my milage yet but my gut tells me I am down to about 8-9mpg.

If your looking for TONS more power and a good speed for cheep. This is the way to go.

TOTAL BRAKE DOWN OF $$$$ ON THIS BUILD IS AS FOLLOWS....
$0.00 Free motor home with the rebuilt Chevy 454. Drove it home.
$73.33 tune up stuff. Plugs, belts, wires and oil.
$22.44 Cap kit for vacuums ports and 3/8" brass plugs for some emissions ports on the exhaust.
$15.29 Power steering fluid.
$88.99 New alternator.
$0.00 Free low profile air cleaner off of on old boat motor I had.
$8.45 Random sized bolts to mount the power steering pump from the military engine so it would match up the power assist braking lines.
$22.00 new high pressure line for the power steering pump to the the brake system as it was 6" to short.
$34.99 2 flexible exhaust pipes and clamps to go from my new manifolds to the exciting exhaust system
$400.00 Disposal of the old motor home

FOR A GREAT TOTAL OF $665.00!

-$500 I am selling the old 6.2 for
-$250 I am selling the generator out of the motor home

So far this build has MADE ME $85.00!!! not counting my labor of course.

I would suggest this swap to anyone who isn't stuck on the diesel idea. Also anyone who doesn't want to spend $10K or more to have a great running powerful HMMWV.

MOOSE

www.nwhmmwv.com

rustystud

HOLY S&*T!!!

Just got back from the first good drive. AND WOW. Thats some real POWER. I can't believe the difference in torque. You could easy bust a differential or something. If I was 20 years old again I would need a second set of tires within the week.

I had to make a few mods to the throttle cable and wiring. Not to bad. Looks like I will get to work on the lighting system tomorrow PM and hopefully have everything done by Friday for a drive to work.

65-70MPH no problem. Cruising speed is 60 easy. Way cool.

I don't know my milage yet but my gut tells me I am down to about 8-9mpg.

If your looking for TONS more power and a good speed for cheep. This is the way to go.

TOTAL BRAKE DOWN OF $$$$ ON THIS BUILD IS AS FOLLOWS....
$0.00 Free motor home with the rebuilt Chevy 454. Drove it home.
$73.33 tune up stuff. Plugs, belts, wires and oil.
$22.44 Cap kit for vacuums ports and 3/8" brass plugs for some emissions ports on the exhaust.
$15.29 Power steering fluid.
$88.99 New alternator.
$0.00 Free low profile air cleaner off of on old boat motor I had.
$8.45 Random sized bolts to mount the power steering pump from the military engine so it would match up the power assist braking lines.
$22.00 new high pressure line for the power steering pump to the the brake system as it was 6" to short.
$34.99 2 flexible exhaust pipes and clamps to go from my new manifolds to the exciting exhaust system
$400.00 Disposal of the old motor home

FOR A GREAT TOTAL OF $665.00!

-$500 I am selling the old 6.2 for
-$250 I am selling the generator out of the motor home

So far this build has MADE ME $85.00!!! not counting my labor of course.

I would suggest this swap to anyone who isn't stuck on the diesel idea. Also anyone who doesn't want to spend $10K or more to have a great running powerful HMMWV.

MOOSE

www.nwhmmwv.com
My best friend got a 1985 Chevy crewcab 1 ton back in 1990. It has a 454 also. That truck has been a real work-horse all these years and extremely fast ! The only draw-back is the 8 mpg . Fully loaded or empty, 8 mpg !

Davetheplumber

"Moose"
I know, 454 is not a gas saver for sure. I really think its worth the fuel cost. That would be the biggest draw back I suppose. But gosh, this thing is a beast. Mean and feisty. Also, all repairs a so much cheeper than any diesel stuff.

The 454 puts out a lot more power than I thought. If I did it again, I might, might choose a built 350 or 383 stroker. It might fit easer and big blocks do have their issues. Anyhow, I'm loving every min of this for now.

Moose

www.nwhmmwv.com

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When fuel skyrockets again (oh it will) that mileage is gonna hurt!!
Luckily if I need tons of power I just drive my 06 LBZ Duramax.

I do miss the sound a 454 makes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks