• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 checking in

icu_runnin

Hey all just wanted to say whats up and let you know I am the proud owner of a 86 M1028. It has 55k on it and came with 37" Procomp Xterrains XTC (Xtreme Compund) on 17" wheels. It is all stock outside of the tires and some slight trimming. The guy I bought it from ($2800 - good or bad) was using it as his daily driver and took good care of it. The only problem I have with it is that it has been running and driving fine for the past 4-5 days I have had it. I went to park it and run into the parts store and when I tried starting it the starter just kept turning and it wouldnt start. I pulled the key out and popped the hood and it continued to try and start and wouldnt stop. next thing I know wires started melting and catching on fire. The front battery ground terminal melted off and thats when it finally stopped. I couldnt figure out what the heck happened but as soon as I hooked the ground up it started doing the same thing. So I towed it home and started the 12 volt conversion and said the hell with trying to find a 24 volt starter (starter died after this) so now that everything is completed wiring wise I just need to buy the 12 started and see what she does. I hope everything works like it should and I can drive it again :evil: . I know its one heck of an intro but hello again and look forward to getting to know some of you guys.

ojsdna744

Check starter relay, common failure on these. Too bad about the starter. I've heard of people having them rebuilt instead of paying the long dollar to replace them. However, if you're now all converted over, just buy a new starter and :grd: ! You might also consider just buying a new starter relay while you're there @ the auto parts store. My M1009 was converted to 12V when I bought it and I've been having a blast driving it!! Welcome!!

mangus580

Yes, what happens, is the relay sticks... forcing the starter to run forever. This overheates the wires, and starts them to melt.

The relay's sole purpose, is to take the 12v wire that the ignition switch uses for 'start' and uses it to switch 24v feeding the starter.

icu_runnin

Well I guess that would have been the cause for the small fire it started when it happened :evil: Do most part stores carry them in stock?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM # for the started relay is 15591718. Your GM dealer can get it or your auto parts store can cross reference it to something else.

ida34

If he is changing over to a 12 volt system why not just wire the relay out of the system. If it is all 12 volt now then it would not be needed. Anyone done this before?

icu_runnin

I thought the same thing. Why not just hook it up to the ignition switch since it doesnt pull a ton of current to activate the starter solenoid.

JB

I have heard of this starter sticking problem before but luckily it has not happened to me yet. (crossing fingers) What do you guys suggest doing if it does? Pull battery cables?

mangus580

It could be done... but, leaving the relay as is, you could keep the truck relativly easy to swap back to 24v for a 'future' need...

ultim8gamr

JB said:
I have heard of this starter sticking problem before but luckily it has not happened to me yet. (crossing fingers) What do you guys suggest doing if it does? Pull battery cables?
Had it happen on a friend's truck. we just pulled the wires and it didnt do too much damage, i have also been told to hit the started with something (hammer, rock, stick) anything to knock the relay a bit

mangus580

You could, but it would be easier to just plug a new relay in. Besides, without the 24v load, the relay will last forever most likely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks