• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 from texas forest service with a salvage title?

markg

here is my latest purchase from tfs through gsa. 86 m1028 with 20k miles. truck was complete including battery hold downs, spare tire and wheel with carrier, horn button, lug wrench(no jack), two d-rings. only thing missing was rear bumper . it was a shelter carrier, probably didnt have a tailgate. truck could have been driven home. both batteries came up and are holding. both alternators charge. tires have good tread. drive shaft was not bent.( new policy from tfs is to not move with a forklift) body is very straight. original driver door.

my question is why the salvage title? gsa has promised me a salvage form 97. anybody have experience with this. i have owned a lot worse with a good title from gsa. i have not transferred a salvage 97 to a regular title either. any insight? thanks. mark

P1010002.jpgP1010003.jpgP1010001.jpg

Last edited:

ryan77

Probably for liability issues! Ive bought junk from them that should have had a salvage title and have seen stuff that had a salvage title and it was in great shape. All depends on what the agency for gsa list it as! Hopefully getting a clean title in texas with that wont be like Illinois!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would get on the phone with Brian and the girls at GSA Ft Worth and be REALLY nice and ask REALLY kindly for a normal SF97.

Man you don't play around recovering your stuff . . .

bbftx

Pursue a Texas Rebuilt Salvage Title

Hi MarkG
You can get a new Texas title listed as "Rebuilt Salvage" in many cases. You'd need to get the truck successfully inspected, fill out a salvage affadavit form, and then apply for the rebuilt title. Read up on the procedure by doing an online search for "Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual." Make sure you get the latest version (2013), as they've actually made a couple parts of the procedure easier. Chapter 27 deals with "Rebuilt Salvage". [I considered doing this for my final title on my resto project, as part of the rebuild came from a salvage vehicle, but I ended up going a different route.] Whether you can do this or not depends several things, inlcuding whether the salvage title was created before or after 2003.

You might save yourself a lot of aggravation if you have a title company help you with something like this. They know more about the procedures than the average state DOT employee you'd encounter if you try to title it yourself. I used Oak Hill Title Services to get my new Texas title when I imported by Volvo Sugga from Sweden. It was totally painless, and at the time, I think they only charged me a $25 service fee for taking care of everything (on top of the titling fees). No waiting in line, no waiting while a state employee tried to figure out how to handle a registration document from Sweden (they don't have a "title" document in that country), no rejection of the application because forms are filled out wrong, etc.
Good luck,
B B

Last edited:

markg

I would get on the phone with Brian and the girls at GSA Ft Worth and be REALLY nice and ask REALLY kindly for a normal SF97.

Man you don't play around recovering your stuff . . .
i tried once before talking to them when no title was issued, had to go the bonded route. hopefully a salvage title is better than no title. on the recovery i have found the sooner you get it out of there the less likely stuff will disappear. mine still had a good glow plug card , can you believe it!!

you probably saw the glass damage in the pictures, they say some boys from hudson middle school(next door) came and broke every glass panel in everything they could see. they were arrested, nothing happened because they were under age. it broke my heart to see that 70's eagle bus with all the glass knocked out. shame.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i tried once before talking to them when no title was issued, had to go the bonded route. hopefully a salvage title is better than no title. on the recovery i have found the sooner you get it out of there the less likely stuff will disappear. mine still had a good glow plug card , can you believe it!!

you probably saw the glass damage in the pictures, they say some boys from hudson middle school(next door) came and broke every glass panel in everything they could see. they were arrested, nothing happened because they were under age. it broke my heart to see that 70's eagle bus with all the glass knocked out. shame.
A GOOD meeting of the butt with a belt sure would have gone a long way to a non-repeat and MAKE the parents PAY for ALL the damage.

Skinny

Kids like that should be beaten on a regular basis by there parents. If the parents don't do it...they should be beaten with a blunt object. There is a reason dogs respond to shock collars ;)

Nice rig! If everything looks straight don't get bent out of shape over the salvage. These things are old and worth nothing. Broken glass, scuffed paint, or minor damage can total an old rig because the repairs coat more than the KBB value. Run it :)

markg

Nice rig! If everything looks straight don't get bent out of shape over the salvage. These things are old and worth nothing. Broken glass, scuffed paint, or minor damage can total an old rig because the repairs coat more than the KBB value. Run it :)
skinny
military trucks, especially cucv's, both trucks and blazers, hold there value exceptionally well. the last m1028 i had with 30k miles brought well over 3k. there civilian counterparts dont even come close. where i live in texas a good title is very important, especially to out of state buyers. thanks. mark

2002ford

If they list it as a salvage title it speeds up the time they can get rid off them. Otherwise they have to keep them for x amount of time and let any state or federal agency have a chance to sighn for them. At least thats what they told me in Indy. It took them 2 years to be able to auction a couple trucks. This is GSA I am speaking of.

Last edited:

trooper632

Good score on the truck, I was bidding against you and didn't get back to the computer before closing( that's a good thing) because I was going to go higher. You got it for a good price

Skinny

skinny
military trucks, especially cucv's, both trucks and blazers, hold there value exceptionally well. the last m1028 i had with 30k miles brought well over 3k. there civilian counterparts dont even come close. where i live in texas a good title is very important, especially to out of state buyers. thanks. mark
Guy really? Call your insurance agent and ask them how they value your truck. Unless you had it apraised or have some classic coverage, the average insurance company sees it as an 80's Chevy truck which by the book isn't worth much these days. So having full coverage on something of such low book value, all it takes is minor damage before one of these old trucks becomes "totaled" or "salvaged". Doesn't mean the truck is junk, from an insurance standpoint the repair isn't worth it financially.

I'm not saying these trucks do not have something special about them. I love my Cuck Vee but Geico doesn't really care about Olive Drab nostalga.

So in closing, I'm not sure if you took it personal when I stated that M trucks aren't worth anything. They aren't, that is why you will see old trucks with salvage titles with what appears to be not much wrong with them.

Cheers

markg

Good score on the truck, I was bidding against you and didn't get back to the computer before closing( that's a good thing) because I was going to go higher. You got it for a good price
i had to stay up past my bedtime to get it. thanks for letting me have it. next sale is next year according to brian at tfs. getting harder to get. this truck and the truck in my profile picture wich i got last year were exceptional.
the biggest problem so far with this truck has been the filter base sucking air over night. that may be the reason they quit driving it. according to the inspection sticker it had 19426 miles when it expired in 2003. it had 20706 when i picked it up, im adding more daily trying to work out the little stuff. i added a rear bumper, platform hitch and a tailgate. the batteries were napa truck batteries dated 08-08. slow charged them for two days and they both finally came back to life. tomorrow we will see if the tree sap will come off. thanks. mark

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guy really? Call your insurance agent and ask them how they value your truck. Unless you had it apraised or have some classic coverage, the average insurance company sees it as an 80's Chevy truck which by the book isn't worth much these days. So having full coverage on something of such low book value, all it takes is minor damage before one of these old trucks becomes "totaled" or "salvaged". Doesn't mean the truck is junk, from an insurance standpoint the repair isn't worth it financially.

I'm not saying these trucks do not have something special about them. I love my Cuck Vee but Geico doesn't really care about Olive Drab nostalga.

So in closing, I'm not sure if you took it personal when I stated that M trucks aren't worth anything. They aren't, that is why you will see old trucks with salvage titles with what appears to be not much wrong with them.

Cheers
Wish I could understand where you are coming from. Here, ANY 5/4 CUCV is worth $2000 no matter what the condition, $1500 for the axles to the rock crawler crowd, and $500 for the rest across the scale. Nice ones bring upwards of $4000. And climbing by the day. Insurance co's understand that everything has a value curve. Who would have thought that 70's Superbees could be worth 6 figures now?

markg

Cheers
i didnt take it personally. but i have sold a fair amount of these trucks. i know what they are worth. i have lots of spare parts. i used to get these trucks from a neighbor who built extreme 4x4's when the dana 60's were hot. he would buy the trucks, take the axels and almost give me the rest. i saved all that stuff and now i can keep the stuff i buy on the road. as NDT said, the axles by themselves are worth 1200-1500 a set. do you remember what a good glow plug card used to bring? check ebay. how about d-rings? pintle hitch? rear bumper? blackout lights. instrument cluster, alternators. all the military only stuff can add up to big money. even the power steering pump bracket can bring 50 bucks or more, there arent any left!!! one last thing, try to tell a customer who knows nothing about the military truck you are trying to sell him why it has a salvage title and see if he believes your story. thanks. mark

markg

to all
it looks like gsa has some flexibility when issuing a form 97 title. my contracting officer said he is reviewing all lots from the tfs sale and will make changes based on several factors. ill bet people are calling. we will see what happens. thanks for all the advice!!

Skinny

Wish I could understand where you are coming from. Here, ANY 5/4 CUCV is worth $2000 no matter what the condition, $1500 for the axles to the rock crawler crowd, and $500 for the rest across the scale. Nice ones bring upwards of $4000. And climbing by the day. Insurance co's understand that everything has a value curve. Who would have thought that 70's Superbees could be worth 6 figures now?
I think you are missing the point. The insurance company doesn't care about how cool the front Dana 60 is. I understand it but the insurance company is looking at a standard KBB value. You tell them it's a CUCV and they go...yeah so K30. CUCV means nothing to them. So going by the KBB value, on paper they aren't worth much. That is why they 'total' or 'salvage' easy. I just got full coverage on my M1031 through Geico. They have no idea what an M1031 is. You really need to have the truck appraised and covered with antique insurance like Hagarty's. Otherwise my M1031 is worth nothing more than an 84 K30 which is not much these days.

The SuperBee analogy, that's a joke. Hopefully my CUCV appreciates from $6k to $100k in the next 15 years...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are missing the point. The insurance company doesn't care about how cool the front Dana 60 is. I understand it but the insurance company is looking at a standard KBB value. You tell them it's a CUCV and they go...yeah so K30. CUCV means nothing to them. So going by the KBB value, on paper they aren't worth much. That is why they 'total' or 'salvage' easy. I just got full coverage on my M1031 through Geico. They have no idea what an M1031 is. You really need to have the truck appraised and covered with antique insurance like Hagarty's. Otherwise my M1031 is worth nothing more than an 84 K30 which is not much these days.

The SuperBee analogy, that's a joke. Hopefully my CUCV appreciates from $6k to $100k in the next 15 years...
Hmm, the NADA book value on my 1986 M1031 (K30 diesel 4x4) in very good condition is $7000. About what I figured.

Durango_USMC

Geico doesn't really care about Olive Drab nostalga.
Weird, they gave me full coverage at a great price on the M1008. Progressive refused anything but liability only and wanted a lot for that. Weird how it varies state to state. I generally dont buy anything with a salvage title though, just a lot of issues getting everything insured and transfered.

Skinny

I got a smokin' price on full coverage but it's for a standard K30. Geico told me flat out anything extra will not be covered by the policy.

This is Maine insurance. I'm going to have it appraised when I get a chance and get some antique coverage. I would estimate it is worth $8k-10 because it has less than 10k miles on it and is fairly immaculate but I'd be luckyto get half that if it was totalled out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks