• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 identification

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that all of the M1028A2 duallys and M1028A3 duallys were converted from single wheel trucks. The A2 was from and A1 and the A3 from an M1028. What was converted into the M1028A1? Did they swap in an NP205 for the 208? This is the first I'm learning of trucks converted into an M1028A1.
Here is an example of a M1028a1 modification plate. I currently own both these trucks, the camo one since 2007. THAT one did NOT have a pickup bed on it but had the 70s era Contact Maintenance Body yet still had the conversion tag on it. I removed the body and made it back into a pickup and have been using it ever since. I've also had contact maintenance trucks that have had the M1008 NSN on the data plate and no helper springs, so anything could have been swapped out at any time. Just saying.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is interesting! Let me ask, does the converted truck have a rotating or fixed pintle hook? I have heard that M1031 trucks have a fixed pintle.

I think the OP has gone on a walkabout!
Mine has the swivel pintle. I'm not sure why they went with the fixed pintle on the contact maintenance truck, but I suspect it was because that is what the outfit who built them used. As far as I know, they would not have come with the rear bumper from the factory, since they did not know what equipment was to be mounted. I think I have a pic of a virgin M1031 somewhere, but I'd really need to dig to find it. The -10 *possibly* supports this, as the line drawing of the M1031 is sans-bumper. Does that prove anything... Not really. But, it is coincidental. Plus, the -34P does not call out a pintle for the M1031 nor M1010, which would be consistent with this.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an example of a M1028a1 modification plate. I currently own both these trucks, the camo one since 2007. THAT one did NOT have a pickup bed on it but had the 70s era Contact Maintenance Body yet still had the conversion tag on it. I removed the body and made it back into a pickup and have been using it ever since. I've also had contact maintenance trucks that have had the M1008 NSN on the data plate and no helper springs, so anything could have been swapped out at any time. Just saying.
Absolutely! It is tough to discern proof of anything from trucks that were in service 30 years ago, so I try to collect things from what appear to be relatively virgin trucks and some GM promo and factory photos. I've seen my share of M1028s with no helper and even a couple the other way...

Tanaga

So what if it’s got a 205 without the PTO, pickup bed, overweight rear leaf spring, a 1GBHD VIN number, and it doesn’t have this vehicle modification plate? Does that mean that it’s an original M1028A1?

86m1028

So what if it’s got a 205 without the PTO, pickup bed, overweight rear leaf spring, a 1GBHD VIN number, and it doesn’t have this vehicle modification plate? Does that mean that it’s an original M1028A1?
I have one with a 205, hd in the vin, over loads & bed.
Dont know if it’s correct but I consider it an m1028A1.
I’ll have to look again but pretty sure mine is factory with the bed.
Curious to see what others have to say.
I posted 4-5 years ago about the 200 pound difference between some trucks & never got a real answer.

Last edited:

cucvrus

The M1028A1's I had were without bed when they left factory. They were updated in 1993 to the M1028A1. That was 2 that I had. Both New Mexico NG units. Both had the beds with fresh paint and ties downs that did not match the cab paint exactly. That was 1995 and they both had silly low 2-3K miles on them. Both bought at the same time. Corvette 9 has one. The DUDE M1028A1 was one of them.

Tanaga

The M1028A1's I had were without bed when they left factory. They were updated in 1993 to the M1028A1. That was 2 that I had. Both New Mexico NG units. Both had the beds with fresh paint and ties downs that did not match the cab paint exactly. That was 1995 and they both had silly low 2-3K miles on them. Both bought at the same time. Corvette 9 has one. The DUDE M1028A1 was one of them.
I would have a hard time selling those. Only 2-3,000 miles!? So these trucks did not have that modification tag GM72K10 posted pictures of right?

cucvrus

I would have a hard time selling those. Only 2-3,000 miles!? So these trucks did not have that modification tag GM72K10 posted pictures of right?
Yes they both had the id tags. One was in mint condition and the oher was not so mint. Someone had switched the doors. I sold it to 2 guys that were with the Red Ball Express.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1031 started life as an M1028 in '86, and was modified to an M1031 with PTO in '90...right before it was deployed...

These are fleet vehicles, they're changed to fit the intended purpose all the time.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1031 started life as an M1028 in '86, and was modified to an M1031 with PTO in '90...right before it was deployed...

These are fleet vehicles, they're changed to fit the intended purpose all the time.
Interesting . . .
NSN for an m1031 is 2320-01-133-5369
NSN for an M1028 is 2320-01-127-5077

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure this wasn't the other way around? Not that I don't believe it could not happen, but that's quite a bit of work to swap t-case, driveshaft, pull the bed, etc... to make a M1031 out of a an M1028. Check your NSN against what GM72K10 posted...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure this wasn't the other way around? Not that I don't believe it could not happen, but that's quite a bit of work to swap t-case, driveshaft, pull the bed, etc... to make a M1031 out of a an M1028. Check your NSN against what GM72K10 posted...
I have an M1031, box, PTO GEN, etc. sill plate says M1028. Box was produced in 1990 (Or '89, have to double check).

I remember when I picked it up I thought it was weird that the title/vehicle were listed as 1028, and the box was produced years after the truck was made...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks