• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Camper

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started some mods on my M105 to use it as a Dirtbag camper. I've been bringing my crewcab and pick up camper, but I have to get someone to drive it up for me. It hasn't been a problem yet, but it seems like overkill.

The first thing we did was raise the sides 13 inches. Right now they are just mocked up with 2 x 4s holding the ends in place, but I think the height will work. My son and I can walk around inside with nearly two inches of headroom (he's still growing so I wanted a little extra)

This leaves about 5 inches still sticking into the stake pockets. I plan to drill and bolt them into place with two bolts each. I might also put a piece off wood in the forward holes for the stakes to rest on.

For sleeping I have two mattress' off a set of kids bunk beds. They are 36 inches wide and 73 1/2 long. They are really just box springs with foam on top so they are fairly sturdy. I plan to make a frame to mount the 1st one up forward even with the wheel well height so I have storage underneath. The second one will go about 32 inches above it on a framework that will attach directly to the sides. (which is why I went with two bolts each stake and put something for them to rest on up forward.

Of course my top is too short now. I might either take it to a shop and have it lengthed or put longer rope on it and leave it as is, filling the gap with plywood painted to match the trailer.

A battery and some 12 volt lights are planned as well. A curtain to wall off the sleeping area and some indoor/outdoor carpet. In the back I'm thinking a cabinet or something.

No TVs, toliets, sinks, etc. It will still be "roughing it", but not too bad.

I'll get pics in the morning of what I have so far cuz -

nopics

zout

Dug - your right
nopics

That will be a good set up to camp in - kids will have fun in no matter what you bring them out in - just as long as you bring them out.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut 8 boards 12 1/2 inches long to go into the stake pockets. This leaves 5 inches for the sides to go in. Next I will pin them in place with 2 bolts each.

The 1st bed will sit on brackets attached to the bed itself, even with the wheel well height. The 2nd bed wil attach to the sides about where the 2nd from the bottom board is. The top bunk needs to hold about 150-160 pounds

I can't decide if I want to sheet the gap in with wood and then paint it (I'm painting the whole trailer anyway) or have the top lengthed.

The mattress will be covered in plastic to keep them waterproof.

Still looking for a disco ball.

Nick

2cents, I would see about the top being lengthened. My first thought when I saw what you've done was to just add some more boards like the upper ones to fill that gap, then make the top longer to make it back to the trailer. That way, if you take the cover off, its still symetrical.

I like that idea. Im curious to see how your gonna mount the upper bed. I must be not understanding your plan. How ya gonna put a bed to support that much weight on the kinda flimsy sides?

Keep us informed.

Nick

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nick - So far the only reason I wouldn't mod the cover is because I have two trailers but only one cover. Still, I could get another easy enough.

They sides do seem flimsy, but then again so did the bed that donated the mattress'. I haven't firmed any plans up, but I think the sides will take the weight ok. If not the boy will come crashing down!

:)

If it doesn't rain too much over he weekend I'll try and get it sorted out and pics posted.

zout

(available) Space - the Final Frontier
What to do with all the available room you have - its nice to see everyones imagination and skills being put to the test. Don't pay any attention to that Srdocker out there - he will never get started.

Keep the pics coming of your future camper

Brentzilla

Dug have you ever thought about the extended bows and extended cover? I have both that I haven't decided if Im keeping or not. 1 of my bows is wood and taller, the rest are metal with an extension piece added in. The cover is green vinyl then canvas sewn on to the bottom.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug have you ever thought about the extended bows and extended cover? I have both that I haven't decided if Im keeping or not. 1 of my bows is wood and taller, the rest are metal with an extension piece added in. The cover is green vinyl then canvas sewn on to the bottom.
I didn't know there were extended bows. I'm interested in the cover though. Phil had 36 inches taken out of his bobber cover, I need to see if that is enough material to extend this 105 cover 13 inches all the way around.

If I drop the sides back down and make the bows taller that would make this sturdier.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, thanks to Brentzilla I took it all back apart. Keeping the sides in the factory spot makes them the strongest, so I decided to raise the bows. Here is what I came up with in a couple minutes:

(forgot to rotate pic - sorry)

Attachments

Brentzilla

Ok, thanks to Brentzilla I took it all back apart. Keeping the sides in the factory spot makes them the strongest, so I decided to raise the bows. Here is what I came up with in a couple minutes:

(forgot to rotate pic - sorry)
Thats actually pretty similar design to the metal ones Im using.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks