• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 lunette removal

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To date I have flipped 17 lunettes on m105a2 trailers and have never run into any problems like I read about on here. I use two big combination wrenches to do it. A 1 1/2" of course to turn the nut and any of a number of large wrenches (1 5/16" up to 55mm) that I put behind the nut that acts as a backstop to drive the nut against when backing it off the threads so it applies pressue against the lunette. Only two of them did I have to use a hammer on and those took only about 6 or 8 good whacks as I turned the nut to apply pressure. I have never had to use heat or penetrants for any of them.
This procedure has never failed on any of the ones I have done and I live in the middle of the rust belt here in Indiana so you can bet some of them were pretty crusty inside.

Last edited:

rustystud

To date I have flipped 17 lunettes on m105a2 trailers and have never run into any problems like I read about on here. I use two big combination wrenches to do it. A 1 1/2" of course to turn the nut and any of a number of large wrenches (1 5/16" up to 55mm) that I put behind the nut that acts as a backstop to drive the nut against when backing it off the threads so it applies pressue against the lunette. Only two of them did I have to use a hammer on and those took only about 6 or 8 good whacks as I turned the nut to apply pressure. I have never had to use heat or penetrants for any of them.
This procedure has never failed on any of the ones I have done and I live in the middle of the rust belt here in Indiana so you can bet some of them were pretty crusty inside.
Your a very lucky fellow then. I've had to use heat, sledge hammer and tighten the nut against a piece of metal to get it to come out before. I always use "Marine grade anti-seize" when installing them now.