• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 tailgate, "legs?"

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to identify the, "stilt-looking" items on the M105 trailer in this pic. It was taken by another SS member at Findlay,OH.

Are these available as a trailer accessory, or are they something that someone created?

They look handy.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M105 tailgate, "stilts?"

I think the kitchen and carpenters trailers have those on them.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I feel the existing chains work fine. If you wanted them, I could you easily getting a couple of those rear M105 supports off scrapped trailers and mounting them on the tailgate.

Elwenil

Is that a M105 trailer? Looks like something different, unless someone built toolboxes into the sides or something.

ida34

It is a carpenter's trailer and the tailgate is wood. It raises and lowers like a tommygate. A radial arm saw is in the back. It moves forward and back onto the tailgate. It is Lane's trailer and it is pretty neat when upright. There is a hand hydraulic pump on the right side of the trailer that is used to raise and lower the tailgate. And there are toolboxes on the sides of the bed.

citizensoldier

Thanks TED!!

Thanks allot Ted!!!! I knew I could count on you to kick me in the balls with steel toe boots while down.. :( LOL.. Hmmmm I wonder who has shots of that Unimog scuba diving... Hmmmmm.. I will get ya!! :D
Here are some shots now that she is home.. I destroyed the switch if anyone has a extra???? It didnt hurt the motor and just put a small bow in the lift gate.. Did I mention that it is freeking COOL!!!! I can lift vets up for a parade ride now..
It could have been very ugly and I am glad Keith "Amanco" and I are still very fast when we need to be..

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a really neat trailer. The liftgate was cool, and Lane got a lot of goodies with it.

Does look better upright. Hmm...wonder how that happened...

Did I miss you TedG? Tried to meet the SS guys. I have a really bad memory for names and faces thou...

Dennis

citizensoldier

Yep.. This one is Kenny.. I have some military gensets that will do the job for now.. Maybe in the future I will pick up a 10" 110 saw.. With this 16" beast I could loose a limb... or two.. :shock:
A friend of mine does have a set up that takes 220/240 runs it through a big electric motor some how and he can generate 3 phase.. I am not sure how it works but it does. He runs his mill head and some other big boring machines that way... Maybe some of the electrical masters on here can explain that process a little better for us sparkless dumb, dumbs... :? :wink:

citizensoldier

Stretch44875 said:
It is a really neat trailer. The liftgate was cool, and Lane got a lot of goodies with it.

Does look better upright. Hmm...wonder how that happened...

Did I miss you TedG? Tried to meet the SS guys. I have a really bad memory for names and faces thou...

Dennis
Thank allot stretch! You showed up and saved the day.. That old M108 sure is a runner.. Are you sure you want to take out that sweet gasser? Maybe find you a M 543 and restore and put that one in a museum? I am glad that distributor worked its not every day you find a new one for sale..
Good meeting you and nice job on that dump conversion.

ida34

I don't know the exact electrical magic but I know someone that had a rotory phase converter for generating 3 phase from regular residential single phase 240. I am pretty sure it is a single phase electric motor on one side turning a common shaft with a 3 phase generator on the other end. Kind of like the 120 volt generators on the maint cucv's. If you need one I can check with my uncle. They converted the machine to single phase and had the converter for sale but I don't know if they sold it yet.

Chuck

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ida34 said:
I don't know the exact electrical magic but I know someone that had a rotory phase converter for generating 3 phase from regular residential single phase 240. I am pretty sure it is a single phase electric motor on one side turning a common shaft with a 3 phase generator on the other end. Kind of like the 120 volt generators on the maint cucv's. If you need one I can check with my uncle. They converted the machine to single phase and had the converter for sale but I don't know if they sold it yet.

Chuck
Actually you use a large starting capacitor with a three phase motor and a pushbutton switch mounted in a box that will handle all of it.

You start it using the pushbutton and flip the switch and the motor begins spinning. Then you tap the motor (inputs) as outputs and it gives you three phase power. I wonder who though this one up.....

I built one for my Brother's machine shop so he could buy three phase equipment. Works great and it is a pretty common thing around farmers.

steve

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks lane!

The M108's going to stay a gasser for a while. In a couple of years going to convert to multi and store ALL the gasser parts for rebuild.(engine, transmission, transfer, wiring, and all body.) Then later on, when I can afford it, put it back to gasser. Need to make it multi so I can afford to drive it, and have common replacement parts with my deuce.

Dad's an electrician, and I've talked to him about the 3-phase converter. Only thing is it has to be sized to the load.

Dennis

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two types of phase converters, static and rotary. Static in most situations will be enough, but the saw that Lane has, assuming it's like the one I have, is a 15 hp motor. I too have this trailer, though my saw looks slightly different. A rotary phase converter is better for higher amp needs. Static you loose about 10% of your power. Some motors can be converted to single phase. If this is the case, it will say on the motor housing. Maybe 1 PH/3 PH under the phase field of the data plate (on the motor itself). Unfortunately, at least in my case, the motor has no such indication. It still may be possible to convert, but would have to be removed and taken to a motor shop. 3 ph is much more efficient though.

I've looked into gensets, but to start the 3ph 15 hp motor requires a 30kw genset. After it's running, you wouldn't need 30kw, but it's the starting that's the problem. Something less and the saw would probably not start. Or so I've been told by two electicians that work with just this sort of thing.

As mentioned, I too own one of these saws. Haven't had it quite a year yet. It too came with all sorts of tools and extras. Toolboxes, etc. Was supposed to come with two extra saws and more tools, just without trailers. That's all explained in another thread though.

I haven't done much to mine since it came home. New baby due any day is hindering my tinkering with MV's and such. I'm debating about selling this off. While it would be handy, gettting to run at the house would be a PITA. So, it might as well be considered for sale. Trailer and all and some of the goodies too.

I have not found TM's or much info on these. I've been looking siince I bought it, but no luck. DDoyle was in contact with me, but again, info is rare and marginal. I've got some friends from ACOE to see if they can point me in the right direction. Not saying these were ACOE trailers, but just they might have an idea where to look.

Regards,

Eco

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks