• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Trailer Modifications

rustystud

032.jpg024 (2).jpg001.jpg010.jpg002.jpg012.jpg017.jpg017 (2).jpg019 (2).jpg033 (2).jpg This is my "Expedition" M105 trailer. I have been modifying it for some time now. I added the tire carriers so I could take off the tire carrier on the deuce (for a spare fuel tank). you can see how I drilled out the inner frame to get access to the bolts. I also rebuilt the air system. New hoses, rebuilt relay valve, and sandblasted the air-tank. I also rebuilt the brake system. Rebuilt the air booster and master cylinder and installed a new flex hose with one I bought from Aaron (peashooter). This hose is a Stainless Steel PTFE lined hose, just like the ones he sells for the deuce and 5 tons. I also mounted a remote reservoir, using PTFE Stainless Steel hose.

Last edited:

rustystud

045.jpg024 (3).jpg035 (3).jpg030 (3).jpg010 (2).jpg035 (2).jpg065.jpg063.jpg062.jpg032 (2).jpg Years ago I had sanded down the body and used "Herculiner" all over it. When I'm done modifying it I will paint it OD green. You can see how I routed the brake hose to the reservoir. The 2" pipe is used as a storage place for my 5ft "pinch" bar and the handles for the wheel lug nut tool. On the left side I mounted a "Hi-Lift" jack and in the back you can see I replaced the tail lights with the "Old" style aluminum housing ones. I have had no luck with the newer style plastic housings. They always seem to get broken. In the front I used a piece of 10 gauge plate and rivnutted it to the frame and then mounted my "Smitty Built" fuel carrier and a commercial mount fire extinguisher. I will be mounting a commercial tool box in the bed later this year. I also plan on fully enclosing the trailer bed with an aluminum shell tall enough to stand in.

rustystud

002 (2).jpg001 (2).jpg003 (2).jpg I added a "pioneer" rack to my "Expedition M105" trailer. Latter on, I plan on installing a large tool storage box and other assorted items like a MEP-531A generator.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh that's neat Rustystud! I like the brake work and double spare tire mounting (okay I like all the ideas) . Very cool!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like this idea and I was looking to see if I could perhaps do similar with my larger Goodyear G177s.
So a number of questions there rustystud if you don't mind!

It appears that you modified how the front of your cargobox attaches to the frame. I have this spring assembly on my M105:

2015-09-20 09.54.55 HDR.jpg

1. If you did modify how the cargo box attaches to the frame, could you please provide any further insight? Was it to fit the tire hoist or other reasons?
  2. Do you think drilling the large holes on the side of one of the trailer frame members (to access the bolt nuts) causes any substantial weakening of the trailer?
  3. How far from the edge of the trailer box is the spare tire hoist's hex head crank point?
  4. What is the clearance between the spare tire and the tire on the axle?
  5. What is the distance between the spare tire's sidewall and the trailer frame?
  6. What is the distance between the spare tire's sidewall and the ground?
  7. How far past the edge of the cargo box does the tire extend?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rustystud I like your spare tire mount. I have been wanting to mount a spare tire on my M105 someplace other than inside the bed where it takes up cargo space.

rustystud

I really like this idea and I was looking to see if I could perhaps do similar with my larger Goodyear G177s.
So a number of questions there rustystud if you don't mind!

It appears that you modified how the front of your cargobox attaches to the frame. I have this spring assembly on my M105:

View attachment 582645

1. If you did modify how the cargo box attaches to the frame, could you please provide any further insight? Was it to fit the tire hoist or other reasons?
  2. Do you think drilling the large holes on the side of one of the trailer frame members (to access the bolt nuts) causes any substantial weakening of the trailer?
  3. How far from the edge of the trailer box is the spare tire hoist's hex head crank point?
  4. What is the clearance between the spare tire and the tire on the axle?
  5. What is the distance between the spare tire's sidewall and the trailer frame?
  6. What is the distance between the spare tire's sidewall and the ground?
  7. How far past the edge of the cargo box does the t

I will have to get out and measure everything for you tomorrow.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The idea of the spares being mounted on the trailer isn't new. That is a likely place but I have always hesitated, as it doesn't take much of a hump there, to high center that tire. I'm not talking serious "off roading" but a shoulder berm on a roadside would cause problems. Put just a little load in that trailer and your spare will be two inches closer to the ground when your overloads are in contact with their hangers.

I thought to cut the winch part off the mounting bracket, and get that tire mounted up next to the bed. Mount the winch part on the outside of the box & route the cable via a couple of small pulleys. On the bolster trailer, the two retaining nuts have to be accessed from underneath - not as handy, but usually they are seldom used.

rustystud

The idea of the spares being mounted on the trailer isn't new. That is a likely place but I have always hesitated, as it doesn't take much of a hump there, to high center that tire. I'm not talking serious "off roading" but a shoulder berm on a roadside would cause problems. Put just a little load in that trailer and your spare will be two inches closer to the ground when your overloads are in contact with their hangers.

I thought to cut the winch part off the mounting bracket, and get that tire mounted up next to the bed. Mount the winch part on the outside of the box & route the cable via a couple of small pulleys. On the bolster trailer, the two retaining nuts have to be accessed from underneath - not as handy, but usually they are seldom used.
The tires have over 18" of clearance, so if your hitting things that are 16" tall then yes you will hit the tires. You also realize the axle tube is only about 12" off the ground.

Last edited:

rustystud

005.jpg006.jpg008.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg009.jpg013.jpg Picture one shows the clearance of the tire to the outer edge of the bed which is 1/2" . The second picture shows the clearance between the tire and axle mounted tire which is 5" . The third picture shows the clearance between the tire and bed which is over 8" . The fourth picture shows the tire clearance from the ground which is 18" .The fifth picture shows the distance between the tires which is 2-1/2" . The sixth picture shows the clearance of the tire and frame which is almost 4" . The seventh shows the turn crank and the eighth shows the tire carrier mounted and the extra bolt needed to hold it to the frame.

rustystud

The largest tire that can be put on these carriers is only 2" taller then stock 9.00X20's . That will be the limiting factor in how big you can go since they will be touching in the middle. Before I did this modification I set down and decided whether I would ever go with larger tires. Then I bought 26 tires (9.00X20) at auction ( 16 where brand new and 10 where 90% ). After that I installed the carriers as I'm now wedded to this size. Since my last injury ( I now have a rod in my back ) I will not be going on any long journeys. I'm still planning on the Alaska expedition but that will be the last. These tires will most likely last my lifetime since my tires on the deuce and trailer are over 80% right now. So this carrier set-up works fine for me.

tommys2patrick

I can relate Rustystud. Just manhandling the rims around on the 9.00-20's is getting to be a chore. With tires, from flat on the ground, it takes me a lot to get them vertical so that I can roll them around. That long prybar can be very handy. I guess your a late night owl too.

rustystud

I can relate Rustystud. Just manhandling the rims around on the 9.00-20's is getting to be a chore. With tires, from flat on the ground, it takes me a lot to get them vertical so that I can roll them around. That long prybar can be very handy. I guess your a late night owl too.
The pry bar mount was the first thing I installed ! After almost 40 years working on heavy equipment I picked up a thing or two about using leverage to help you. Also working the last 24 years on swing-shift it is hard going to bed any earlier then 12:00 midnight. Usually it is 1:30am or 2:00am before I go to bed. Then I get up at 7:00am to take the boy to school. :shock:

tommys2patrick

Prybars--I also learned to think ahead a bit. If you got something heavy you have to manhandle or use a prybar on it helps to set a corner on a short block of wood when you set it down. Just so you can get that prybar in position.

I did the Alcan highway back in 92'. They were having the 50th anniversary. Seems to me the 75th is coming up soon. Spent a total of 4 weeks on the road to and from Denver. Something I will never forget. Best of luck on your Alaska Expedition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks