• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 VME rebuild defect

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im not sure if this applies to this thread... but a defect on my M105A2 is that the tailgate mounting ears on the bed itself are not welded straight. the tailgate is higher (about 3/8 inch) on the right side than the left side. this causes the tailgate not to shut completely on the right side when the stake sides are on. i just shimmed up the sides of the rack so it closed for now. where was the QC on this??

Metternacht

same issue M101A3

Ok, So i have the same issue with the first and last pocket hole on my M101a3. What did you do to fix your or did you just apply the big hammer and plan on not removing the sides?

3dAngus

I didn't pursue.

I considered doing what SEToyota offered, but didn't want to get in a situation where it was so tight getting in, it might rust permanently in place and become non-removeable without destruction. Hypothetical, of course, but I can envision it. It would take a heck of a squeeze to get it in there, but if he did it before, it can be done again.

I considered cutting the rails to three sided in lieu of semi 4 sided, where they would squeeze in easily, or even drop in. But that would weaken them and I couldn't envision what would happen with side gusts when going down the road with cover on.

I about decided to tear down this like new trailer for possible use as a bobber project. The bed is perfect and to good to scrap, and I offered the trailer for $495 with new tires, rims, brakes, air lines, paint and everything and no takers, so looks like I got to use the parts. I don't want a M105 without a secure cover.

If you only have one or two holes, it should not be the magnitude of the problem I was faced with. VSE makes these trailers BETTER than new, so it's a shame they screwed this one aspect of it up, making putting on easily removeable side rails and a cover all but impossible.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sides will come back out. It was not a big deal to gt them in. Just a little more effort than normal. 105s are almost useless to me without a cover. I use them for storage

bjsmith

mine are the same way had to pry and beat them out cleaned everything up and still had to hammer them back on but i probaly will not be removing again

3dAngus

The sides will come back out. It was not a big deal to gt them in. Just a little more effort than normal. 105s are almost useless to me without a cover. I use them for storage
Right on! They are the best for storage. I have a few of them now for that purpose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks