• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105c?

Jinx

Picked up the trailer late last night. It's a beauty, ripe for restoration. I took these photos this morning while heading out for work, but I forgot to get one of inside the bed. It was early and I was still tired from the late drive last night.

What an experience it was trying to back a trailer in the dark last night. I couldn't see a thing. These trucks need back up lights. heh

Attachments

jimm1009

lights

Backup lights are actually pretty easy to install.
I put some on my M105A1 trailer and also on my Deuce (M35A2C).
The whole thing costs about $100 is you use new lights and the switch is about $35 (inlcuded in total) from NAPA and then there is some wiring.
I also added two auxiliary lights (back up lights) under the bed that shine down over the spare tire and fuel tank areas that are controlled by a toggle switch on the instrument panel adjacent to the OEM switch for all lights.
When you have the switch open (off) the backup lights work normally off the tranmission while in reverse.
When you close the switch (turn it on) the normal backup lights come on as well as the two downward shining mid lights. Six lights total, two on the trailer, tow on the rear of the truck, and two mid way as described.
It is nice to have some "courtesy lights" if you are out in the woods and night or somewhere where there is no other illumination. With the rear lights the mid lights and the head lights on you can see pretty well while doing a walk around at "O-dark thirty".
Jim :-D

KaiserM109

I had planned on towing it home without connecting the air brakes to the truck since I don't want to risk dealing with a potentially seized brake. Sounds like this isn't an option and I will have to hook up the air brakes to even get the trailer to move. Correct?
I didn't mean to entirely mislead you. An empty M105 trailer weighs 2700 lb. and does not require the brakes. I towed 2 of them (seperate trips) 95 mi. from Ft. Carson to Commerce City, east of Denver behind my '69 Bronco with no problem.

Make sure that the reservoir tank is empty and the parking brakes are off (up) and the brakes will release. I used magneticly mounted lights to keep Smokey happy.

Have a good trip.

Arlyn

Attachments

JB

What an experience it was trying to back a trailer in the dark last night. I couldn't see a thing. These trucks need back up lights. heh
Try putting a pintle hook on the front bumper of your deuce to back the trailer. THere is a recent thread where this was done.

KaiserM109

Try putting a pintle hook on the front bumper of your deuce to back the trailer. THere is a recent thread where this was done.
Back in the day, there was a saying about backing an M105 "If you can't see the trailer you were OK."

Never try to back one of these rigs without at least 1 spotter.
Take the tarp off if it has one. This will realy really help.
Very true, also put the tailgate down.

Last edited:

Jinx

Jinx, too bad you are on the wrong coast, I have a set of racks and bows I'm getting rid of.
No kidding, I'd love to get those!

As for backing, that is exactly what I did. My dad stood near the back of the deuce with a flashlight and shouted out directions. It sort of worked, but I couldn't see a thing.

The pintle hitch on the front is a great idea!

kurtkds

You gotta watch out for those short wheel base trailers.. They turn real quick...:razz:

Attached is a pic of the trailer with approx 4500 pounds of steel on board... The overload springs almost hit their stops.. LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

smrider

I just picked a M105A2C up from a GL sale. My question is how can I modify the brake system to work but yet be pulled with my F250? Is there a way to build a surge brake system into the tongue?